Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Back when Disneyland had orange groves, what did they do with the oranges?

Quote Originally Posted by J Thaddeus Toad Esq View Post
    I think it's funny that google-ads is now giving us an add for Honeybells from Al's Family Farm I think I'm going to run to the store and get some OJ, be right back....
    LOL I was actually at the grocery store today and when I saw oranges, I really wanted to buy them!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Awaiting Walt's Return...

93 Miles North of The ORIGINAL Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    The colorblind bulldozer operator story is a myth.
    I would say it is true because in the book Disneyland: Then, Now & Forever (page 17), it talks about this story.
    "To all who come to this happy place - welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. Thank you."

óWalter E. Disney, July 17, 1955

LONG LIVE Disneyland!!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Hey, we have our own orange and grapefruit trees (one each), so you learn a few things about them. The tangerine tree... Well....

Don't claim know everything about everything - but I know a little about a lot, and I know where to get more information when I need it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by disney55 View Post
    I would say it is true because in the book Disneyland: Then, Now & Forever (page 17), it talks about this story.
    There are several "Official Stories" that are untrue in whole or part - but the Company still repeats them as dogma simply because they have become dogma.

(If they changed their alibi now, there would be a lot of accusations flying about that they would rather avoid - "Were you lying then, or are you lying now??")

And/or the unvarnished truth is a lot uglier than the sanitized version they invented to explain it away. As I understand it, there was a lot of salty language and expletives excised from certain "Walt Quotes" over the years.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Artistic integrity

hmmm ..
    you all forgot to mention that sum of the trees were re-used for Jungle Cruise. Once uprooted ..... the trees were repositioned upside down ... with the bigger roots sticking up like leave branches ..... to give the Jungle Cruise more "atmosphere"!

• Artistic integrity

For you Orange County natives (like me) .... wouldn't you all love to take a trip back into time .. to look at all of Orange County when it looked like Napa Valley of today?

That's what it looked like between the time irrigation was brought into Orange County in the late 1800s ... to about 1950.

Part of me wishes it still looked like this.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 04-20-2009 at 06:27 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    LOL I was actually at the grocery store today and when I saw oranges, I really wanted to buy them!
    They might be a little hard to find right now, since the season is nearing an end. But if you are able to find Cuties brand tangerines in your local grocery store, pick up a box. Not only are they delicious and easy to peel, but this brand is run by the same people who ran the Disneyland Citrus Houses. So, in a round-about way, you can still enjoy "Disneyland citrus" even though the Citrus Houses are long gone.

And if you are near a Trader Joe's, they supply the Trader Joe's brand orange juice. Or if you are dining out Mimi's Cafe also serves their orange juice. And now, they are selling the juice at Angel Stadium. All the citrus juice is fresh squeezed at their plant in Beaumont, CA. Nothing is from concentrate.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Interesting, I can't say I'm surprised that Disney leased the fields away. That's what they do with the strawberry fields they own now, I think.

It would be cool if they planted a few orange trees in DCA as an allusion to what it used to be, perhaps near the Bountiful Valley Farm, the Golden Winery, or around the bay.
    They actually do have orange trees (tangerine possibly?) trees right around Bug's Land. If you walk next to the queue for ITTBAB on the way to Bug's Land, those are the trees.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    That was just a licensing arrangement, Disney didn't make that juice themselves.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I have heard that , but any time I get to post the picture of Donald Duck oj , its a good thing.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Epcot's my fave park!

i thought the tree is @ Tony Baxter's house (one of 'em)
    Epcot rocks! I luv Capt Jack Sparrow, alongside Will & Elizabeth!
    twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
    myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
    Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
    youtube.com/svhwdwnut

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    For you Orange County natives (like me) .... wouldn't you all love to take a trip back into time .. to look at all of Orange County when it looked like Napa Valley of today?

That's what it looked like between the time irrigation was brought into Orange County in the late 1800s ... to about 1950.

Part of me wishes it still looked like this.
    There are moments when I can still smell the smelt pots and see the black, oily smoke rising up from the groves and no one thought of pollution only prosperity.

Days when the smell of orange blossoms was so strong it made you dizzy.

Guys selling oranges on the freeway off-ramps for a buck a bag.

Walking to school along the edges of the groves and kicking the oranges that had dropped from the trees.

Eucalyptus trees standing like sentinals protecting the fruit from the cold winds coming in off the ocean.

Living in a house that had an orange tree (or three or ten) in the backyard that gave you fresh juice every day and knowing that your cousins back East couldn't even dream of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And the orange juice in the park was supplied by Sunkist, fresh squeezed at Disneyland. Not only was this served at the Citrus House, and at Sunkist I Presume, but it was freshed squeezed every morning and distributed to all of the restaurants in the park.

After Disney and Sunkist broke ties in the late 80s to early 90s, they used Minute Maid, which is a Coca-Cola product. It is vastly inferior in that it is orange juice from concentrate. I also notice that they are selling Simply Orange, and while it is not from concentrate, the grade of oranges used in the juice is not as high as the grade used by Sunkist back when it was around.

Oh, I am 10 years old again! I remember that to be the best lemonade ever! A hot day, a great place, and the finest fresh squeezed lemonade in all the lands!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123