Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• All-American

Back when Disneyland had orange groves, what did they do with the oranges?

This sounds like a "if a tree falls in the forest" question, but I'm actually a little curious about this chapter of Disneyland history. Did Disney sell them to other fruit companies, or did Disneyland also run a successful orange juice business?

• Keepin' it calsteady

Re: Back when Disneyland had orange groves, what did they do with the oranges?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The oranges were sold to Sunkist by the grower -- not by Disney. I imagine that after Disney bought the land, the grower paid a lease to Disney in the intervening period between the purchase of the land and construction of the park to allow them to continue distributing their procduce. But Disney never directly owned the oranges (or few walnut trees) that was on the property.

• Beach Expert

And the orange juice in the park was supplied by Sunkist, fresh squeezed at Disneyland. Not only was this served at the Citrus House, and at Sunkist I Presume, but it was freshed squeezed every morning and distributed to all of the restaurants in the park.

After Disney and Sunkist broke ties in the late 80s to early 90s, they used Minute Maid, which is a Coca-Cola product. It is vastly inferior in that it is orange juice from concentrate. I also notice that they are selling Simply Orange, and while it is not from concentrate, the grade of oranges used in the juice is not as high as the grade used by Sunkist back when it was around.

• All-American

Interesting, I can't say I'm surprised that Disney leased the fields away. That's what they do with the strawberry fields they own now, I think.

It would be cool if they planted a few orange trees in DCA as an allusion to what it used to be, perhaps near the Bountiful Valley Farm, the Golden Winery, or around the bay.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    It would be cool if they planted a few orange trees in DCA as an allusion to what it used to be, perhaps near the Bountiful Valley Farm, the Golden Winery, or around the bay.
    That's definitely a good idea for DCA.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some citrus trees planted near Tomorrowland, and I have heard that somewhere inside DL or maybe backstage there is an original orange tree from the original grove still standing.

But it definitely would be nice to have more of a tribute to Disneyland's past as an orange grove. And truth be told, among the main reasons that interested Walt in bringing Sunkist into the park was as an homage to this history as a former orange grove. Also, he wanted the guests to be reminded of the California sunshine and happy feelings which accompanied those feelings.

• =)

I don't know if an original orange trees us there - if so, it's gotta be backstage - but there's a palm tree in Adventureland that supposedly dates from the pre-Disneyland days.

• DL Obsessed

And now Sunkist is a soda.. odd.

They do have some orange trees in Disneyland, but they should definatly have more orange trees in California Adventure. Imagine how famous DCA could be if they made fresh orange juice from their trees each day. Well at least famous for SOMETHING. That could add a really great feel to california adventure.

• A Weather Eye Open

Fresh squeezed delivered to all the restaurants every? how come we have these quality things anymore! I want!

only time i've ever had fresh squeezed was when my dad had a whole bag of oranges given to him, and he didn't know what to do with them, so he squeezed the whole bag by hand!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Fresh squeezed delivered to all the restaurants every? how come we have these quality things anymore! I want!

only time i've ever had fresh squeezed was when my dad had a whole bag of oranges given to him, and he didn't know what to do with them, so he squeezed the whole bag by hand!
    Great minds think alike!

I was just going to post how awesome fresh-squeezed orange juice would be at Disneyland. Why does everything have to be so mechanical and assembly-line these days?

When I lived in New York, we'd get dozens of juice oranges at Fairway (upper west side) and make a huge pitcher of orange juice! Yum! Of course, we'd drink half of it right away.

Sitting on Main Street drinking a fresh-squeezed glass of cold orange juice? Mmmmmm!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I don't know if an original orange trees us there - if so, it's gotta be backstage - but there's a palm tree in Adventureland that supposedly dates from the pre-Disneyland days.
    WOW! Now that's history. Although I suppose 54 years really isn't that old...

I've heard that the massive orange of the Orange Stinger was meant to be a reference to the orange groves, but that to me doesn't justify its general tackiness.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Sitting on Main Street drinking a fresh-squeezed glass of cold orange juice? Mmmmmm!
    You could easily do that - all it takes is Disney buying a Cecilware OJ38 (made by Zumex in Spain) or equivalent, and it's as simple as serving a soda. They just have to load the hopper with fresh oranges and empty the rind bucket every so often.

And besides, they are fun to watch run. Not as fun as the old horizontal machines, but progress marches on...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    WOW! Now that's history. Although I suppose 54 years really isn't that old...
    That palm tree is way older than that. That palm tree sits where it was originally planted.

In the 1880s...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    You could easily do that - all it takes is Disney buying a Cecilware OJ38 (made by Zumex in Spain) or equivalent, and it's as simple as serving a soda. They just have to load the hopper with fresh oranges and empty the rind bucket every so often.

And besides, they are fun to watch run. Not as fun as the old horizontal machines, but progress marches on...

--<< Bruce >>--
    I want one of those! If only I had a spare $16,400.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I want one of those! If only I had a spare $16,400.
    It's *only* $19K for the one with the refrigerated OJ tank. (And remember, that's MSRP, meaning 'the bigger the order, the lower the real price'.) But if you have a long line of people every day willing to pay premium prices for a glass of "So fresh it was an Orange 2 minutes ago..." Orange Juice, you make your investment back fast.

Who knows, they might have stashed the old "Sunkist, I Presume" orange juicing machines in a warehouse somewhere...

Plus, if you produce them in bulk, you can sell the orange rinds to the people who extract the orange oil for cleaning products.

Or they can apply Environmentality (TM Disney) buy their own rind grinder and oil press/extraction machinery, a small steam distiller (put it behind the Roundhouse, I think they have a stationary boiler) and make their own d-limonene Orange Oil Cleaner on-site. Cut the waste stream, too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast