Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question what are those unused tracks above autopia?

i noticed them when i was there 2 weeks ago while waiting for the disneyland railroad and its been bothering me ever since. they look almost like mini versions of the monorail tracks but with the metal tubes on top instead of on the sides. i think the metal parts were a teal green. were they part of the peoplemover?

• =)

Re: what are those unused tracks above autopia?

Correct - those are the PeopleMover tracks, which were later (briefly) used for the Rocket Rods. They're currently not in use...until Disney gathers the money and imagination to put something new up there, which has to happen eventually.

• dL lover from hawaii

Talking Re: what are those unused tracks above autopia?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Correct - those are the PeopleMover tracks, which were later (briefly) used for the Rocket Rods. They're currently not in use...until Disney gathers the money and imagination to put something new up there, which has to happen eventually.
    We can only hope. I loved that ride when I was a kid. I'd love to see something along that same line. It was one of those mellow ries you could do with your grandparents, kind of like the Skyway!

Yes!
    Let my people move.

• We Go On.

^Good first post question. Normally people would say it's a good first post if it's really smart or if it's breaking news, but this is a good question because if you are on MiceChat you must know the Peoplemover track. It pops up at least once a month.

• Miss Marvel

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by hadla View Post
    what are those unused tracks above autopia??
    God, I feel old.

On a more serious note, welcome to MiceChat.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• potterday.org

[edit: cut and paste the urls cause embedding is blocked]

Here's what it used to look like: youtube.com/watch?v=Oggal7RY2ks

And this is what it was briefly converted to, until for numerous reasons it became a ghost track:

youtube.com/watch?v=Twakh87amak
    Last edited by Zoe Necrosis; 04-19-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: embedding blocked
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• All-American

And FYI Hadla, the PeopleMover at the Magic Kingdom is alive and well, under the name of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. One major difference, though, is that the track is covered instead of the verhicles.

Welcome to MiceChat.

sorry for such a delay in a reply for this, i posted and forgot about it lol. yes, i know theres a peoplemover in disney world, ive been there about 6 times and love it. wish mr toad was still there though. i first went to disneyland in 1997, about 6 years after first visit to disney world, we lived in louisiana and were a lot closer to wdw(im in california with my dad now). wasnt it called the peoplemover before tomorrowland transit authority? i remember my mom and i calling it the peoplemover... and i think i like the magic kingdom at wdw more cause it has the peoplemover, carousel of progress, and epcot. ok epcots different but you get my point :P i just wish it still had mr toad and also a version of the matterhorn and a few of the dl fantasyland rides. i love the haunted mansion at wdw more too. ill post more after work. -heather

ps: damn them all for getting rid of the 20000 leagues under the sea ride! i never went on it and now ill never have a chance for it putting a stupid winnie the pooh thing over the lagoon. bah. and after pooh took over tr toad. double bah. (you can see im still upset over the loss of mr toad)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtoon View Post
    Yes!
    Let my people move.
    rotfl

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by hadla View Post
    wasnt it called the peoplemover before tomorrowland transit authority? i remember my mom and i calling it the peoplemover...
    Yes, it was called the "Peoplemover" for a while. Then when WDW's Tomorrowland received a make-over in 1994 .. that's when they renamed it the "Tomorrowland Transit Authority". As a means to reflect the new theme of a "sci-fi city".

I was chuckling when you said .. what are those tracks above Autopia ... Because from my perspective .. it's easy for me think - Who wouldn't know what they are? LOL

But I have to remember ... the Peoplemover has been gone since 1995 ... that not only are we one full generation away from it's departure .. we're getting into a second generation since it's removal.

No Peoplemover in 14 years.
    No ride on that track, period, in 9 years.
    (Rocket Rods officially bit the dust Sept 2000)
    It's been so long now.

• The Dudester

I hope they do something with those tracks. I would support a return to the old PeopleMover, as opposed to the Rocket Rods. I never had the opportunity to ride the PeopleMover, and I think there's definitely a place for non-thrilling rides like that at Disneyland. They don't necessarily need to make it faster. But then again, as I said before I never rode the original attraction, so for all I know it could have been a terrible ride. Opinions? What did you all think of it, those of you who have be on the original PeopleMover? For that matter, what did you guys think of the Rocket Rods incarnation? I know it obviously didn't do well.... what are the overall opinions of MiceChatters? Just curious!

• What do u mean u people?

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    Opinions? What did you all think of it, those of you who have be on the original PeopleMover?
    I only remember it from riding it as a child but I do remember it not being as smooth as the one in WDW. In addition, the roofs on the cars tilted upward/downward when entering and exiting the load station. So they were only anchored on one side of the car. I remember sometimes when the vehicle would go downhill and,or turn and go slow to keep a steady speed it would jerk from time to time and the plastic roofs would shake pretty good. Causing a lovely rattling sound to add to your experience. =)

Anyone else remember that?

My family and I used to joke that the Peoplemover was the most violent attraction at Disneyland. It was no joke though. The section of track just after you cross over the Monorail the last time and dive down to parallel the Monorail station was so bouncy and jerky, we'd have to hold on!

Good times...

• Still Dizzy

I loved the peoplemover. It was always a nice relaxing thing to do with my mom when we were exhousted from walking around the parks. I loved seeing inside the rides and the tron part.

I remember one time it shut down on us when we were at the portion that goes over autopia. A CM came and got us and we got to walk along the track. We all broke into a spontaneous sing-a-long of "Hi Ho, Hi Ho" as we walked along. Great memories and I wish I could take my boys on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast