Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    131

    Matterhorn Bobsleds

    So we were at the park today for a VERY short trip and while in line for the Matterhorn, someone told me that the Matterhorn bobsleds are the old trains from Space Mountain at Walt Disney World. Is that true? I've never heard of that before and it seems weird that only seatbelts would be allowed for Space Mountain. Anyone have the correct answer?? I doubted it was true, but I guess you never know! Thanks!

  2. #2

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    This is absolutely rediculous. People will tell you anything. The new bobsleds were specifically designed to replace the old ones. Everything about the Matterhorn and it's bobsleds is unique to Disneyland ..and always has been.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  3. #3

    • Addicted to MC since '08
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    on MC
    Posts
    1,817

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    It is true that Florida's Space Mountain used to have Matterhorn-style trains that seated 8 riders. There was only a seatbelt to hold riders in.

    However, I am not sure whether or not the current trains at the Matterhorn are Space Mountain's original trains.

  4. #4

    • Vasooki-land Owner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vasooki-land/Disneyland. Dont we all??
    Posts
    711

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    I stand corrected. Removing my incorrect post to prevent anymore confusion.
    Last edited by Vasooki; 04-20-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

    Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    131

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    It is true that Florida's Space Mountain used to have Matterhorn-style trains that seated 8 riders. There was only a seatbelt to hold riders in.

    However, I am not sure whether or not the current trains at the Matterhorn are Space Mountain's original trains.
    Wow, so at least one part of the story was right! I would not feel safe riding Space Mountain with just a seat belt. And I can't imagine bumping into the person behind you that much. Interesting...

    Thanks for the reply!!

  6. #6

    • Addicted to MC since '08
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    on MC
    Posts
    1,817

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    Wow, so at least one part of the story was right! I would not feel safe riding Space Mountain with just a seat belt. And I can't imagine bumping into the person behind you that much. Interesting...

    Thanks for the reply!!
    No Problem

  7. #7

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    So we were at the park today for a VERY short trip and while in line for the Matterhorn, someone told me that the Matterhorn bobsleds are the old trains from Space Mountain at Walt Disney World. Is that true? I've never heard of that before and it seems weird that only seatbelts would be allowed for Space Mountain. Anyone have the correct answer?? I doubted it was true, but I guess you never know! Thanks!
    The current Matterhorn Bobsleds are the original Space Mountain trains from Walt Disney World - their Space Mountain is much more similar to our Matterhorn.

    And apparently Disney agreed with you, because those trains were shipped out to Anaheim when Space Mountain received new trains with lap bars instead of seat belts in the late 1980s.

  8. #8

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    This is absolutely rediculous. People will tell you anything. The new bobsleds were specifically designed to replace the old ones. Everything about the Matterhorn and it's bobsleds is unique to Disneyland ..and always has been.
    Actually, you're incorrect. Space Mountain has had three actual rocket designs, the last two on the same chassis. Once the first rocket fleet with the two seats and seatbelts had its run, it was shipped to Anaheim. The next rockets were new, and consisted of U-Shaped lap bars and had a design similar to Disneyland's old rockets, just with in-line seating. The next design was a refabricated vehicle on the same chassis.

  9. #9

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Actually, you're incorrect. Space Mountain has had three actual rocket designs, the last two on the same chassis. Once the first rocket fleet with the two seats and seatbelts had its run, it was shipped to Anaheim. The next rockets were new, and consisted of U-Shaped lap bars and had a design similar to Disneyland's old rockets, just with in-line seating. The next design was a refabricated vehicle on the same chassis.
    Thank you, WDITrent. The initial question sounded pretty far retched. I nevertheless stand enlightened and better informed. Alrays good to learn something new.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    10 minutes from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    I'm confused! Was it true or not? There's different awnsers!

  11. #11

    • Senior Monorail Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    No. Those are not the same trains. The WDW Space Mountain trains would noit make it on the tracks of the Matterhorn due to sizing and turn radiuses, although their track is similar, it's impossible.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    131

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    I'm still confused too! The answers keep changing! Haha!

  13. #13

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    TARDIS
    Posts
    6,065

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    I've always heard they are WDW Space Mountain's original rockets, too.

  14. #14

    • Addicted to MC since '08
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    on MC
    Posts
    1,817

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    For those who are confused:

    Anaheim now has the rockets that originally were at SM in Florida.

  15. #15

    • FastPass n00b
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,846

    Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

    So I guess we can all agree to disagree then?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Rumor] New Matterhorn Bobsleds?
    By Alice in Wonderland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
  2. Dear Matterhorn Bobsleds,
    By viewaskewniverse in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
  3. Possible first look at new Matterhorn Bobsleds?
    By Sadako in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 09:19 PM
  4. New Bobsleds killing the Matterhorn?
    By Cousin Orville in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 11-23-2006, 09:52 PM
  5. Matterhorn Bobsleds Closed
    By 6packinthepark in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •