View Poll Results: How do you like the new AO color scheme?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

109 72.19%
  • I dislike it

7 4.64%
  • I don't really care

8 5.30%
  • Too early to say

27 17.88%
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123451227 ... LastLast

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The reason they were removed was to give Space Mountain added queue space and to keep the line from extending out into the plaza, cutting off access to Pizza Port and Hista. That decision was made back in 1998, before Fastpass. If they added the ramps back today, where would all those people go?
    There is still plenty of room above HISTA for this queue to go ... they could utilize the entire thing, rather than just the perimeter like they do now. There's a ton of room up there.

They could use the empty second story of Starcade, or for thematic purposes, tear out the entire Starcade and build an extended queue that goes from the speedramp into a new structure atop HISTA that blends in with the Starcade structure. This would a) utilize an unused space, b) provide shade (it can get pretty sweltering up there), c) create a themed entrance to SM, and d) free up the current side space for a restaurant or small attraction area.

Conversely, they could keep the arrangement they have now and just rebuild that queue and the area above HISTA to provide shade and to give it a bit more of a visual appeal ... right now the current queue/entrance looks like exactly what it is: an aesthetically and thematically uninspired extra old restaurant space that a queue was shoved into.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    There is still plenty of room above HISTA for this queue to go ... they could utilize the entire thing, rather than just the perimeter like they do now. There's a ton of room up there.
    The roof of the theater is not supported. They do not allow the queue to use that space because it could potentially cause the roof to collapse. Originally there was no roof over the theater and it was an open space.

They could use the empty second story of Starcade, or for thematic purposes, tear out the entire Starcade and build an extended queue that goes from the speedramp into a new structure atop HISTA that blends in with the Starcade structure.
    They could use the StarCade space, but it would be strange indeed to have an indoor queue section, lead to an outdoor queue section, lead to another indoor queue section.

But I doubt the speedramps will ever be in front of the building again.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

This is tragic!!

I feel sad for the family that came all the way from Iowa after saving up for 5 years only to find that the Astro Orbitor and Cosmic waves will be closed. Can you imagine the lines at City Hall?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Well that's certainly rude that micechat would allow pictures to be posted and a thread with news based off of a photo report but not allow a link to the photo report itself..
    If you have an issue with MiceChat's rules or a moderator action, please take it to PM. Thanks!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

The roof of the theater is not supported. They do not allow the queue to use that space because it could potentially cause the roof to collapse. Originally there was no roof over the theater and it was an open space.

They could use the StarCade space, but it would be strange indeed to have an indoor queue section, lead to an outdoor queue section, lead to another indoor queue section.

But I doubt the speedramps will ever be in front of the building again.
    Agreed ... they probably won't. The issue with the HISTA roof could be solved with the next renovation. Along those lines, the "indoor" portion of the queue could be renovated from the Starcade Space by enclosing the small section between the Starcade's upper level and the SM entry. Or they could theme it well and it wouldn't be an issue at all. That's what they do with Indy's standard queue and the post-98 Star Tours extended queue.

• Artistic integrity

Well .. we've been hearing about the renovation to Astro Orbitor. To make it match the surrounding hues of blue and silver.

But what's up with remnants of Cosmic Waves?
    I hope they are not going to attempt to restore it.

It became the Tomorrowland joke .... derived from a name of an exhibit that dates 1956-1962: The Bathroom of Tomorrow!

It became "The Bathroom of Tomorrow" with kids stripping down to just their shorts .. running around the land wet .. as if Disneyland is a Water Park.

I guess a Tomorrowland renovation is not close to realization.

Otherwise .. why the waste of time and money on "renovations"?

Very puzzling.

Anyone know what's going on what is now - 'The Lonely Cosmic Ball Thingy"?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    Agreed ... they probably won't. The issue with the HISTA roof could be solved with the next renovation. Along those lines, the "indoor" portion of the queue could be renovated from the Starcade Space by enclosing the small section between the Starcade's upper level and the SM entry. Or they could theme it well and it wouldn't be an issue at all. That's what they do with Indy's standard queue and the post-98 Star Tours extended queue.
    Short of demolishing the entire HISTA theater and starting from scratch, the roof will never be able to support any sizable weight.

You could build an enclosed space from the Starcade to the entrance to Space Mountain - but then you would lose all the queue space from the concourse. The whole point here was to keep and maintain the amount of queue space they have now.

Operationally there would also be concerns with putting the Space Mountain queue in the Starcade, since the queue would then intersect the exit, as well as the exiting hordes from HISTA and access to the bathrooms. It could be done, but it would be a bigger mess than bringing back the speedramps.

• We Go On.

This is very very very interesting, and I must say that I hope Astro Orbitor will be repainted with that silver and blue color scheme, and have the mechanism repaired/replaced. I have no problem with the Astro Orbitor itself (other than the queue), just the hideous rocks and the fact that we have nothing on top of the Peoplemover platform.

Short of demolishing the entire HISTA theater and starting from scratch, the roof will never be able to support any sizable weight.

You could build an enclosed space from the Starcade to the entrance to Space Mountain - but then you would lose all the queue space from the concourse. The whole point here was to keep and maintain the amount of queue space they have now.

Operationally there would also be concerns with putting the Space Mountain queue in the Starcade, since the queue would then intersect the exit, as well as the exiting hordes from HISTA and access to the bathrooms. It could be done, but it would be a bigger mess than bringing back the speedramps.
    So, I guess it is settled: tear down HISTA! Seriously, I'd be completely okay with the removal of that theater if it meant a new attraction in that space and an inclusive, fully thematic SM queue.

I do think that if both the first and second floors of the Starcade were utilized (with a complete remodel for this purpose), as well as the path from the 2nd floor Starcade exit to the SM entrance ... that could, in theory, cover a sufficient amount of space. But ... it would be a cluster like no other.

I'd honestly be perfectly happy if they just rebuilt the current entrance area. A rebuild for this express purpose, including the use of the space occupied by the old Space Place kitchen, would allow for enough space that it could all be indoors and even feed directly into SM itself without having to go back outside.

I just hate that such a classic and invigorating attraction has a queue area that looks like it came from a Century City K-Mart.

• HauntedOne999

The reason they were removed was to give Space Mountain added queue space and to keep the line from extending out into the plaza, cutting off access to Pizza Port and Hista. That decision was made back in 1998, before Fastpass. If they added the ramps back today, where would all those people go?
    with all the switch backs that are up there SM should have enough space for the line... if they are going to remove HISTA the roof can be retrofitted with supports.
    Last edited by Alpoe001; 04-21-2009 at 04:57 PM.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• We Go On.

Didn't the speedramps cause longer lines because of the amount of people on it at a time? That's the only problem I have with the speedramps.

• Closed Account

They're removing the astrology signs from Astro Orbiter and replacing them with ads for merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Well that's certainly rude that micechat would allow pictures to be posted and a thread with news based off of a photo report but not allow a link to the photo report itself..
    ya i think it is a pretty stupid rule. No other message board has a rule like this.

As for the fountain, I want it to come back. I know ppl said it was gross with the activities that kids did in the fountain but for some reason the fountain play area in a bugs land still works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    ya i think it is a pretty stupid rule. No other message board has a rule like this.
    Many boards do, yes ... but it's not in the vein of "we don't want you going to another Disney site" ... it's more in the vein of protecting from spam.

Anything more than that ... any discussion or disagreement with the rules ... should really go to a PM to a Mod.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Trees and benches? Surely you can come up with a more futuristic solution than that?
    What in Tomorrowland is particularly futuristic anymore? I think Space Mountain is probably the only thing that is particularly evocative still, the rest is dated, too contemporary, or disregard Tomorrowland's theme.

In any case, if Disney can't come up with something else for that small space, I'd favor some shaded sitting area over that pointless wet marble any day.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123451227 ... LastLast