View Poll Results: How do you like the new AO color scheme?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

109 72.19%
  • I dislike it

7 4.64%
  • I don't really care

8 5.30%
  • Too early to say

27 17.88%
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast

Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

I never even knew that the ball had a name. I don't like that area of the park very much but I DID like seeing all the happy children in awe of the ball. Plus, when it was great to just touch on a hot day to get a little bit of a cool off. The area could certainly benefit from something more there, maybe even small trees/ shade structure around the ball, kind of like the hub.

I wish I'd known this past Saturday that the Astro Orbiters would be going into refurbishment; I would have taken more pictures and had a last ride. I did get last ride of the night the week before last, though. I was in the Pi rocket! Bye bye bronze.

• Animation Domination

As you know in the near future like Tomorrowland the earth will have no trees.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I'd say, bring back Cosmic Waves to all it's glory, if it had one. Why did they remove it in the first place??

• Hello

Cool Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

Could this have something to do with the rumored refurb set to open in 2010? I hope so, I am really excited!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Well that's certainly rude that micechat would allow pictures to be posted and a thread with news based off of a photo report but not allow a link to the photo report itself..
    Agreed. I think if your going to post other people photos, you should give credit where credit is due with a link if its known. Otherwise thats abuse of other peoples work.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I'd say, bring back Cosmic Waves to all it's glory, if it had one. Why did they remove it in the first place??
    The rumor was that it was removed because people were essentially bathing their children in it. But I find that hard to believe considering there are three water play areas in DCA.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by okerry View Post
    Waitta minute - Cosmic Waves is the "floating boulder" thing, right? And the Observatron is what's shown in picture #1 above - but it's not part of the Astro Orbiter, is it? Are those Dumbo-style rocket ships still running? I have a 5-yo granddaughter who loves those rockets, so I'd better find out!
    The Observatron is the old ride on top of the platform that is now solely a spinny kinetic sculpture - it's the chassis of the old Rocket Jets ride redressed. It's out in the open and working.

The Astro Orbitor is the current 'Dumbo style' rocket ride that is behind the construction walls, with the seperately powered planetarium style 'spinny kinetic sculpture' on top. The kinetic sculpture that stopped spinning about a year after they built it - hopefully they are fixing that while they are in there.

Cosmic Waves was the floating Granite Sphere in the middle, surrounded by several concentric rings of fountain heads inset into the rubberized deck. NOW it's just the marble in the middle, the rubberized deck material was filled in over all the fountain heads.

(And rather crudely at first, till everything faded you could see the brightly colored 'new' mix filling the holes and the sun-faded 'old' mix on the rest of the deck.)

The fountain heads were like big drinking fountain "bubbler" streams aimed straight up, controlled by a computer in patterns. It was a challenge to get to the marble and get out again without getting soaked...

Problem being, some kids and teens (and adults...) went in there specifically to get soaked, and then go merrily dripping off to the other rides and shows and shops in the area... Caused big problems with wet seats everywhere.

As I Understand It, the shut down the fountain part because they originally only filtered and chlorinated the system to 'Fountain' standards, and the Health Department decided it needed to be kept at 'Swimming Pool' standards which are very stringent, and they simply couldn't do it.
    I'd say "all it's glory" really needs to be changed to a 'spitter' or 'leaping water' style fountain, tossing small blobs of water around rather than large streams - something where you have to really work at it to get soaked.

Fence off the water a bit so the people are somewhat separated from it, and follow standard swimming pool rules - No Toddlers in Diapers Allowed.

They need to provide air dryers in the nearby restrooms for those who insist on over-doing it, and allow the nearby restaurants and attractions to exclude soaked people till they rectify the situation.

If you are the next one there after a wet person visits, trust me that sitting in squishy soaked seats are Not Fun. And you're never really sure that it's only water... If there were lots of kids in diapers in the fountain that day, it probably isn't.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Disneyland History Lover

I wish the Astro Orbitor would go away and take all it's ugly crater rocks (which face inwards rather than outwards) with it. I'd love for that area where it's at to be open space as it once was. Blue and silver paint? It'll look better than the it does. It'll probably still look like a giant Christmas tree ornament though. I do feel uneasy when I'm sitting in the rockets though... it's at a weird angle when boarding it (unlike the Dumbo ride) and when I ride it low I feel like I'm going to fall out. The only thing I like about the ride is that you can see inside the PeopleMover tunnels when riding it.

The first thing that came to my mind was Astro Orbitor being placed in Cosmic's Place, since the hole is pretty much there already... Maybe that Will crowd that area even more?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I wish the Observatron and the Astro Orbiter would swap places. I miss the rockets being at the high location.

I can't remember if the old setup caused that weird "falling out" feeling upon boarding, but it certainly does now.

• Artistic integrity

Cosmic Waves was meant to be a game. To get to the center granite ball, and avoid getting hit by the fountains.

But they never made that clear. They should have created a partial wall all around the perimeter .. with one entrance .. one exit. With a sign detailing the point of the game.

On a side note ....
    Tomorrowland does get crowded ... It's not such a huge piece of property that does not get crowded with people passing by ... So, they should just do away with it all, once and for all.

And prepare the area for Tony Baxter's supposed master plans for the whole land, which have not been officially announced yet.

• Artistic integrity

Anyone remember the leaping water trick on that path through Ariel's Grotto/King Triton's fountain? Such a neat trick. But that didn't last long ... as kids stuck their blasted hands into the sockets where the water shot through .. turning the whole area into another "Cosmic Waves". With one giant wet mess, with water spraying everywhere, and getting people wet, who did not intend on getting wet.

I don't come to Disneyland prepared like I'm going to a Water Park ....... So, I really hope management and WDI have given up on this 90s fad of trying these interactive water features.

Leave that to Water Parks.

Water Park features and Dry Theme Parks don't mix.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Anyone remember the leaping water trick on that path through Ariel's Grotto/King Triton's fountain? Such a neat trick. But that didn't last long ... as kids stuck their blasted hands into the sockets where the water shot through .. turning the whole area into another "Cosmic Waves". With one giant wet mess, with water spraying everywhere, and getting people wet, who did not intend on getting wet.

I don't come to Disneyland prepared like I'm going to a Water Park ....... So, I really hope management and WDI have given up on this 90s fad of trying these interactive water features.

Leave that to Water Parks.

Water Park features and Dry Theme Parks don't mix.
    I believe they turned the jumping fountains back on when they turned Ariel's Grotto into Pixie Hollow.

• Iron-Clad Allie

A kid stuck his head down under the bottom and got their hair caught in it. The kid's parents were probably not paying attention to him, as there was no reason to do such a thing. Unfortunately, this occured during the Pressler/Harris era. So, the solution was to rip it out rather than to fix it.

What goes around comes around. The day of course came when Pressler and Harris were "ripped out" and fired. They were each beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Could this have something to do with the rumored refurb set to open in 2010?

I hope so, I am really excited!
    In the case of the Astro orbitor, definitely yes. Not sure about why the former Cosmic Waves area is fenced off. It has to be linked to the 2010 refurb in some way.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I believe they turned the jumping fountains back on when they turned Ariel's Grotto into Pixie Hollow.
    Loved those jumping fountains.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast