View Poll Results: How do you like the new AO color scheme?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

    109 72.19%
  • I dislike it

    7 4.64%
  • I don't really care

    8 5.30%
  • Too early to say

    27 17.88%
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 439
  1. #46

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,511

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Anyone remember the leaping water trick on that path through Ariel's Grotto/King Triton's fountain? Such a neat trick. But that didn't last long ... as kids stuck their blasted hands into the sockets where the water shot through .. turning the whole area into another "Cosmic Waves". With one giant wet mess, with water spraying everywhere, and getting people wet, who did not intend on getting wet.

    I don't come to Disneyland prepared like I'm going to a Water Park ....... So, I really hope management and WDI have given up on this 90s fad of trying these interactive water features.

    Leave that to Water Parks.

    Water Park features and Dry Theme Parks don't mix.
    Instead of punishing everyone, disney should have kicked the kids and their families out of the park.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #47

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Anyone remember the leaping water trick on that path through Ariel's Grotto/King Triton's fountain? Such a neat trick. But that didn't last long ... as kids stuck their blasted hands into the sockets where the water shot through .. turning the whole area into another "Cosmic Waves". With one giant wet mess, with water spraying everywhere, and getting people wet, who did not intend on getting wet.

    I don't come to Disneyland prepared like I'm going to a Water Park ....... So, I really hope management and WDI have given up on this 90s fad of trying these interactive water features.

    Leave that to Water Parks.

    Water Park features and Dry Theme Parks don't mix.
    I remember that very well. It's a shame people messed with it so much.
    Last edited by Alex E; 04-21-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Typo.

  3. #48

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,511

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I wish the Astro Orbitor would go away and take all it's ugly crater rocks (which face inwards rather than outwards) with it. I'd love for that area where it's at to be open space as it once was. Blue and silver paint? It'll look better than the it does. It'll probably still look like a giant Christmas tree ornament though. I do feel uneasy when I'm sitting in the rockets though... it's at a weird angle when boarding it (unlike the Dumbo ride) and when I ride it low I feel like I'm going to fall out. The only thing I like about the ride is that you can see inside the PeopleMover tunnels when riding it.
    You might be happy to know Victoria that you are going to get your wish. The Astro Orbitor and Tomorrowland entryway rocks will go away during the 2010 refurb. The new paint job is a precurser to the makeover, when it will be placed back atop the former PM tower where it belongs.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #49

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    TARDIS
    Posts
    6,071

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Um... what concrete evidence is there of a 2010 remodel? Last I knew this was all rumors and wishful thinking...

  5. #50

    • Exec Asst to Captain E.O.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    597

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    You might be happy to know Victoria that you are going to get your wish. The Astro Orbitor and Tomorrowland entryway rocks will go away during the 2010 refurb. The new paint job is a precurser to the makeover, when it will be placed back atop the former PM tower where it belongs.
    Maybe. Maybe not. Nothing has been released yet.

  6. #51

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,511

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Um... what concrete evidence is there of a 2010 remodel? Last I knew this was all rumors and wishful thinking...
    Take your argument up with Al.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  7. #52

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    TARDIS
    Posts
    6,071

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    What argument? I just asked where this was said?

    MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

    Searching through Al's article, he never said anything is going to happen, except the repainting and fixing of Astro Orbitor. Eveything else is on the back-burners now, until proper funding can be secured (aka- one of the other parks to help foot the bill for Star Tours 2.0, and TDL's research and development to be used to benefit our TL, too).

  8. #53

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,571

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The new paint job is a precurser to the makeover, when it will be placed back atop the former PM tower where it belongs.
    Ugh.

    How many times does it have to be said: the current Astro Orbitor structure will not fit on top of the Rocket Rods station. That structure cannot support the weight and mechanism required for the Astro Orbitor.

    Considering the expense now going into freshen up and repair the attraction, I doubt that Disney would be willing to just throw it away next year. The Astro Orbitor will be staying where it is for awhile.

  9. #54

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Posts
    6,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The rumor was that it was removed because people were essentially bathing their children in it. But I find that hard to believe considering there are three water play areas in DCA.
    It was a good way to cool off on a hot summer day. Could the reason that there were too many wet people going to HISTA be a part of it?? A little off topic, I know.

  10. #55

    • Use your imagination...
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, United States
    Posts
    372

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    It was a good way to cool off on a hot summer day. Could the reason that there were too many wet people going to HISTA be a part of it?? A little off topic, I know.
    haha what better way to cool off than to get drenched and then spending 20 min in an air conditioned theater? I sure wouldn't mind it.

  11. #56

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The Astro Orbitor and Tomorrowland entryway rocks will go away during the 2010 refurb. The new paint job is a precurser to the makeover, when it will be placed back atop the former PM tower where it belongs.
    I'm going to assume you don't literally mean that they're moving it - if you just look at the Observatron, you'd realize that they'd just have to replace the satellites with rockets again. Moving a huge structure that's embedded deep in the ground obviously wouldn't work.

    Under the assumption that you think they would tear it down, really? Do you realize how much a custom paint job like this must cost? Do you really think that Disney would spend hundreds of thousands (Millions?) hiring people to take the thing apart, figure out how it works, fix all the mechanisms that may be worn out, put it all together, and repaint it? The people who built it 11 years ago have probably all found different jobs, and it's not as simple as the same people just coming in and taking it apart.

    After all of this, you think they'd plan to take it all apart again/tear it down in a year? No theme park management is that stupid. The Astro Orbitor was there for 11 years without a new paint job, and it will probably be there for another 11 before they tear it down. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with it, except for the fact that it's not as good as the old one.

  12. #57

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,523

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Could this have something to do with the rumored refurb set to open in 2010? I hope so, I am really excited!
    "Set to open"-???

    The proposed new Tomorrowland .. which is barely discussed on the net ... was to have a CONSTRUCTION START DATE of 2010 .. that would be complete by 2012.

    BUT .. with the economy tanking .. many things have been put on hold.

    But no one knows the exact fate of Tomorrowland's renovation plans.

    It would be nice if Al gives us some sort of update about what's going on.

  13. #58

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,523

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by dl1955pounds View Post
    I'm going to assume you don't literally mean that they're moving it - if you just look at the Observatron, you'd realize that they'd just have to replace the satellites with rockets again. Moving a huge structure that's embedded deep in the ground obviously wouldn't work.

    Under the assumption that you think they would tear it down, really? Do you realize how much a custom paint job like this must cost? Do you really think that Disney would spend hundreds of thousands (Millions?) hiring people to take the thing apart, figure out how it works, fix all the mechanisms that may be worn out, put it all together, and repaint it? The people who built it 11 years ago have probably all found different jobs, and it's not as simple as the same people just coming in and taking it apart.

    After all of this, you think they'd plan to take it all apart again/tear it down in a year? No theme park management is that stupid. The Astro Orbitor was there for 11 years without a new paint job, and it will probably be there for another 11 before they tear it down. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with it, except for the fact that it's not as good as the old one.
    Well ... we need some sort of update to let us know what the heck is going on. For 3 or so years now ... Between Al & Screamscape.com ... a new Tomorrowland is on the drawing board.

    And my guess is ... the carbon copy of the Paris "Orbitron" we call "Astro Orbitor" will be history.

    And what goes in place on top of a brand new Peoplemover boarding platform will be a new look for this "spinner" type ride. Perhaps something on the lines of Apollo Rocket theme .. with a twist.

    If they were to place the "1998 Astro Orbitor" on top where the ride once sat from 1967 to 1997 .. don't you all think it would dominate the Tomorrowland skyline with that cluster of orbs a little too much?

    In proportion to Space Mountain .. and distance to the Matterhorn ..... it may tip the scale of things into the wrong direction. No pun intended.

    We're almost mid year, here, already. If the 2010 construction start date was going to hold .. We'd be hearing about the master plans by now.

    I have a feeling ... they are going with renovating the current Astro Orbitor, and whatever the heck they are doing to "Cosmic Ball Thingy" ... because that so-called (rumored) start date of a massive Tomorrowland redo .. is being pushed up ............. quite a ways.

  14. #59

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    ya i think it is a pretty stupid rule. No other message board has a rule like this.
    Actually, lots do. But even for those who don't, linking from a high traffic forum to another forum can hammer the other guy's server with traffic and degrade performance for his members -- or shut them out. Netwise, not neighborly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    As for the fountain, I want it to come back. I know ppl said it was gross with the activities that kids did in the fountain but for some reason the fountain play area in a bugs land still works fine.
    People didn't just say it was gross, it was gross -- and unsanitary. IMO that kind of crap belongs in DCA.

    =P
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  15. #60

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    127

    Re: Astro-Orbitor and Cosmic Waves behind walls

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Actually, lots do. But even for those who don't, linking from a high traffic forum to another forum can hammer the other guy's server with traffic and degrade performance for his members -- or shut them out. Netwise, not neighborly.



    People didn't just say it was gross, it was gross -- and unsanitary. IMO that kind of crap belongs in DCA.

    =P
    Hey now easy on the DCA bashing. I remember flying on the Rocket Rods as a kid soaring over TL then riding the PeopleMover around, so much better when it was where it used to be. Never got the Cosmic Waves thing either, on the same lines as others with the park not being a water one.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Cosmic Waves & Astro Orbitor pics?
    By Tomorrowland_1967 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 05:13 AM
  2. Trees around Cosmic Waves
    By Athlonacon in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •