Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• TR2N. Are You Ready?

Needing help from someone who works at Disneyland and lives in that area

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Well anyways, when I finish High School, I'm wanting to move down to Anaheim and work at Disneyland.

But I'm having some problems.

1. How exactly would I try to find a home or somewhere to live down there? Seeing as I'm up near San Francisco and I'm not sure how I would really find one.

And 2. My dad is upset over me wanting to work at Disneyland. He gets really annoyed and pissed off everytime he hears me talking about something Disney or when he walks by me on the computer and I'm on a Disney site. And he tells me that, you can't make a living working at Disneyland. And that it's only a type of job that's meant for teens for when they are looking for another job and it's a quick one.

So is that true? For anyone who works there? Would I be able to "make a living" working at Disneyland? Or no?

Thanks!
    Last edited by VMKCardCollector; 04-21-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: adding to living down there

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

Re: Needing help from someone who works at Disneyland and lives in that area

He is right, it is very hard to make a living from working at the park, the pay rate is very minimal. I was working attractions for two years and was makeing $9.05 an hour, and you are not garented hours unless you can become full time then your garented at least 30 hours a week. When you start you get almost no hours, 4 is the minimum, and you'll get that for the first few months. With the cost of liveing in orange county you will be strugleing to live. I am not trying to discourge you just letting you know, it is very fun working at Disneyland and you make a lot of friends and meet a lot of cool people. I miss working there.

Well yes and no. I think it's awfully rude of your father to generalize and say that it's 'Only for teens looking to find another job'. There are plenty of people who truly enjoy the job, and seeing as how you have to be 18 to really DO anything involving heavy machinery (i.e. Attractions), it's not just for teens. I'm 21, and I absolutely love it, great people, great atmosphere, it just can't be beat. As was stated the pay rate isn't enough to live off of if you have to pay your rent. Luckily I live with my grandparents, so I don't pay rent, but it is certainley difficult if your on your own.

If you rally like Disney and can understand that it IS a job and it's not going to be fun all the time, then you can truly enjoy yourself, and it reflects onto the guests. I say if you can find someone to live with and maybe split some rent, go for it. THere's plenty of room for growth and improvement if you're willing to work for it. In my oppinion the people who are bitter are those who come in expecting it to be super fun all the time and that's just simply not true. It is what you make it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Will you be attending college? Maybe your dad could help out with those expenses, or you can get student loans or scholarships to help out as well. And you might need to work two jobs.

The three state colleges closest to DL are Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, and UC Irvine.

You could work part time at DL and go to college if that is what you want to do. My niece is a DL cast member part time and she goes to UC Irvine. She also has another job doing data entry for one of the physics professors there. So where there's a will there's a way.

• Anaheim Born & Raised

Your best bet is to try to get into the Disney College Program. It is a 6 month program, they put you up in an apartment (I don't know what the rent is like but it has to be cheeper than usual). You work for the company and take disney related business classes. I don't know all the details but I'm sure you could get information on the Disney site or call casting and ask some questions. The nice thing about the college program is..if you wind up not liking the move it's over in 6 months. If you love it, you make new friends, get a feel for the area and will be better prepared to strike it out on your own once the program is over.

Also be prepared that if you complete the College Program (CP) and want to continue working at Disneyland, you start at the bottom again. They give you about "3 years" of seniority so you get shifts when you start but after the program ends, you lose ALL of that seniority and start as a new hire, again.

Your dad is right, Disneyland is NOT a career, unless you want to go into a professional position with Disney. After working there 6 years, I barely make $12 and I don't get good hours either since I'm not full-time or CP. Managers don't make much, neither do the leads or trainers ($1.25 extra). But it does depend what you want to do with it. With the rent in Orange County, food, etc...you will barely be able to "make a living". I work with many people who are FT that pay rent, etc and they sometimes don't have a lunch because they simply don't have the money or are saving it for rent.

Disney is good for experience but if you want to make it your career, it will be extremely rough. And since you have to be 18 (attractions and up), its not a job for teens...though we may act like teens

Quote Originally Posted by VMKCardCollector View Post
    Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Well anyways, when I finish High School, I'm wanting to move down to Anaheim and work at Disneyland.

But I'm having some problems.

1. How exactly would I try to find a home or somewhere to live down there? Seeing as I'm up near San Francisco and I'm not sure how I would really find one.

And 2. My dad is upset over me wanting to work at Disneyland. He gets really annoyed and pissed off everytime he hears me talking about something Disney or when he walks by me on the computer and I'm on a Disney site. And he tells me that, you can't make a living working at Disneyland. And that it's only a type of job that's meant for teens for when they are looking for another job and it's a quick one.

So is that true? For anyone who works there? Would I be able to "make a living" working at Disneyland? Or no?

Thanks!

Don't know if you can make a good living working your way up at Disneyland. I would suggest asking Tony Baxter his opinion about that.
    Janette

• AW THERE U R.

Listen. Its my dream. So I stayed after the CP and even though I didn't get many hours at the begining, some weeks i'm practically FT because they (scheduling) knows I want it more than ANYTHING. I love my job, and I would do anything for Disneyland. It was my dream to work there and i'm starting school this summer to work twoards my web at Disney. I love it here

• ...TWO BITS!

Disney College Program will look good on your resume.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• What do u mean u people?

To the OP -

That all depends on what you want to "make a living doing". You'll never really make a living being a ride operator, unless you've been there 30 years and are pulling in decent hourly money based on years of pay increases, which arent THAT much to begin with.

Careers at theme parks are more in the form of Marketing, Sales, Senior Managerial positions, etc. So if that's something you want to go into, then you can get your foot in the door working as a line employee and moving your way through the ranks- lead, sup, mgr, and so on.

OR

You make the move into Disney after school and after you have some internships or other entry level positions under your belt. Assuming you aren't going into their college program. Not everyone starts out in the park. You could even move into Disney 20 years from now if you've become a good executive and a position opens up with a nice pay package. Contrary to the way things are right now, Disney, and other companies, will be hiring a lot down the road once the dust settles.

It's not totally the "norm" but also not unheard of either. I know of other parks who have VP's and senior operating officers who started as ride ops and bathroom cleaners 20+ years ago. So it CAN happen. You just have to be really patient! And will most likely need at least one other job at some point to help bring in additional income so you can live in Southern California.

Just remember though if you are moving down here just to work at Disneyland, making the bare minimum will most likely not allow you to live how you're probably used to. You need to factor rent, bills, food, general expenses, just for the standards of living.

Good luck tho! PM if you have any other questions.

• TR2N. Are You Ready?

Thanks everyone!

I did mostly want to move down there for Disneyland and then kinda not. Ive always loved the atmosphere in LA and around that area. Well, I mean, not the air cause I know it's bad from smog and stuff. But I just loved the feeling of being down there and stuff.

But I'll just have to see where my life takes me later on down the road. My step mom was saying too that this could all just be a phase and that I would maybe eventually get over Disney soon. But I dont think that.

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

After I graduated college, I packed everything up and moved out of my parents house. I moved down here to Orlando and started working for Disney. Its tough making rent some months (I am part time at the moment, waiting for a full time spot to open). But honestly, I wouldn't give it up for the world. I love my job. I love my co-workers.

Walt never had it easy, he had to work hard for it. And if you want it bad enough, you'll get it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by VMKCardCollector View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I did mostly want to move down there for Disneyland and then kinda not. Ive always loved the atmosphere in LA and around that area. Well, I mean, not the air cause I know it's bad from smog and stuff. But I just loved the feeling of being down there and stuff.

But I'll just have to see where my life takes me later on down the road. My step mom was saying too that this could all just be a phase and that I would maybe eventually get over Disney soon. But I dont think that.
    Just so you know the smog isn't as bad here as when I was a kid. All those vehicle smog checks must have helped.

And also, realize that Disneyland is not LA. It is in Orange County. And to those of you outside of this area, that might mean the same thing, and they are in fact geographically close to each other. But culturally LA and Orange County are worlds apart. If you like the hustle and bustle of LA, or whatever it is you like about it, you won't find it as much in Orange County. You need to live here awhile to notice, but there is a subtle difference between the two.

What I am saying is if you want to move here, do it more because you like the place and not just because of Disneyland.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Is it easy to get a part time job right now in disneyland?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast