Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Rivers of America Spring 2010 closure

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    It has been a while since they drained the ROA. I believe during the Pressler administration, so that would be early to mid 1990's.
    ROA was drained atleast 2-3 years ago.
    When the put in the new gas pipes
    and also did some other work (the new sound system (additional speakers), "street lights" etc. (if more was added or I added to much, correct my info if needed).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

January to April 2010. They do the whole shebang like track work, cleaning, Fantasmic! maintenance.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    If I remember correctly, the ROA was drained in 2003.
    wow! time flies
    6 years ago.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by rollrcostrfrk807 View Post
    so would pirate's lair be closed during this time
    With the walls up
    and no water
    It's VERY safe to say that yes, no pirates Island
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

I was there when the river was drained. It was probably right around 2000. It was very strange to see the boards up around the river and to peek through them and see that there was no water in there. It is not so much a waste of water because I'm sure when they referb the other water rides, they drain them too, but ROA only gets drained once every 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    wow! time flies
    6 years ago.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. 6 years seems like yesterday.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Yearning for Disneyland

The first thought that came to mind when I heard that ROA was going to be drained was "is that going to stink or what" (literally, not figuratively). If you thought the PP Lagoon stank when it was drained....whooo boy. Glad I won't be around Disneyland next spring!

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
    http://www.spareoom.net

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Oh, it'll probably stink a little... All it takes is leaves and twigs and organic material ( "duck butter") and water and a little time to brew up a nice batch of stink. Hydrogen sulfide being the one that gets your complete attention.

But they know about the problem, and can reduce the stink with chemicals while they eliminate it. They get in there and clean the bottom pretty quick (it's all concrete lined, like a swimming pool) and once the offending materials are hosed away and the bottom dries the source of the stink goes away. If they start this on a Monday it'll be all better by the weekend.

There's only so much that the divers can do for the Twain Twack working underwater, especially with the dye they put in the water. Heavy duty repairs are flat out impossible. If they have to replace a section of guide track, they really have to drain it. And they also look for leaks in the river bottom and patch them, since Disney doesn't want to pay to recharge the Anaheim aquifer.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    And they also look for leaks in the river bottom and patch them, since Disney doesn't want to pay to recharge the Anaheim aquifer.
    Could that be considered a community outreach program?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

With the draining of the River, perhaps we can finally put an end to the persistent Disney Rumor that the river is "about 20 feet deep in spots."

(but I'm not holding my breath).

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    With the draining of the River, perhaps we can finally put an end to the persistent Disney Rumor that the river is "about 20 feet deep in spots."

(but I'm not holding my breath).
    That would be nice, but somehow I doubt it will help. People will say that there are parts we can't see that are that deep, or that the perspective makes it look shallower than it really is.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Trouble a'Bruin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    What a waste of water.

Maybe they'll realize that CA is in the midst of a huge drought and recession, and decide to place F! on permanent "hiatus" to save money.

(one can dream, can't he?)
    it actually isn't that big a waste. you fill it up once then top it off from time to time. if u wanna see a waste go look at your lawn.
    I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing-it was all started by a mouse

Ohh I hope it's not going to be when I go in early Feb next year

Hopefully after.

• Fireworks Finatic!

Disney has been more responsable lately to not just dump the water down the drain when they drain major areas, like when they did the Bay in DCA. They made a point to say the water would be treated and go back into the underground aquifer. Not just drain to the ocean. So whenever they do drain the River, they will most likely do the same.

• Closed Account

For those who didn't get the sarcasm *cough*wanderw1*cough*, I should point out that by claiming a waste of water, I was hoping Disney would "see the light" and permanently shelve Fantasmic!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast