Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• All-American

Re: Rivers of America Spring 2010 closure

I just thought of something.

I've heard a lot that the reason the burning cabin is no longer ablaze is because the gas pipe passed through the Rivers of America and was corroded, and the only way to fix or replace it was to drain the River. Now that the River will be drained anyway, any chance they will address this?

Wishful thinking, I'm sure...
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 04-23-2009 at 10:50 PM.

• I'm not really here

That would be cool if they took advantage of the opportunity to work on that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    With the draining of the River, perhaps we can finally put an end to the persistent Disney Rumor that the river is "about 20 feet deep in spots."

(but I'm not holding my breath).

The fountain pits are near that depth.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

For those who didn't get the sarcasm *cough*wanderw1*cough*, I should point out that by claiming a waste of water, I was hoping Disney would "see the light" and permanently shelve Fantasmic!
    Steve, you'd better change your passwords ASAP - I think Foc'sle Swab has hijacked your account for (yet another) pointless rant against Fantasmic!...

Oh, and it might be 10 or 12 feet deep at the deepest point where the "drain plug" (big valve) is that sends it into the storm sewers.

Mark Twain: The "Burning Cabin" most likely (Occam's Razor) uses the same gas pipe feeding the on-island flame system for Fantasmic! They've just used that convenient (and lame) excuse to put out the cabin forever. Probably saves them a whole $20 - $30 a month on gas, and an average 4 to 8 hours of maintenance time a month.

I'll bet Disney is using Reclaimed Water in the ROA, it's a whole lot cheaper and just fine for uses where people won't be swimming in it.

And they would have to send the water drained from the ROA to a Spreading Basin area or injection well or gravel pit to "recharge the aquifer" for real - and I don't recall any huge (and mega expensive!) public works projects to put a big pipe out of Disneyland to one of these locations (to be used only once every ten years or so) in the last 25 years...

But if they send the river water out in the regular storm drain system, that is a bunch of really big pipes and channels that can easily drain the ROA in two or three days. And that water goes out to the ocean and starts the water cycle all over again - just takes a little longer for it to "be recycled", IE evaporate from the ocean and come back as freshwater rain or snow...

(Why is Common Sense so uncommon? )

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Dreaming of Disney World

Does the Rivers of America have a concrete bottom like Paradise Pier Bay?
    Look for me on Facebook: Tyler Keith Lee Tew

For all Disney News when it happens, follow DisneyverseNews at www.twitter.com/DisneyverseNews

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by tyler2cfhs View Post
    Yup, just like a giant swimming pool

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    The fountain pits are near that depth.
    Just because a house at sea level has a 100 foot deep well does not mean that "parts of the property are 100 feet below sea level."

• AW THERE U R.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    January to April 2010. They do the whole shebang like track work, cleaning, Fantasmic! maintenance.
    Once again...JANUARY TO APRIL. haha. 2010. So those who said after his post, "i'm going in febuary it better not be drained."

...whoops. At least you have the pier.

For those who didn't get the sarcasm *cough*wanderw1*cough*, I should point out that by claiming a waste of water, I was hoping Disney would "see the light" and permanently shelve Fantasmic!
    No.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That would be cool if they took advantage of the opportunity to work on that.
    It would be ... but didn't they already "retheme" the cabin and change narrations? I can't recall, but I want to say yes?

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

When the ROA are drained how do they keep Splash Mountain running? Isn't there a little section that actually goes out into the ROA after the huge drop? Does Disney simply put up a wall and block it off so the water stays? Or are the "trails" built solid without holes in the sides?

Also, what happens to all the poor, little crayfish and turtles? Do they just bite the big one?

...Joe...

Quote Originally Posted by tyler2cfhs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Yup, just like a giant swimming pool
    Yes, but...

If I recall the details, the Rivers of America is done much more like a swimming pool (without the fancy plaster job, naturally) - they just scraped and smoothed out the bottom and used Gunite/Shotcrete and coated the bottom. It's freeform with the curves.

Because they built the Rivers Of America unlined, then realized how much water they were dumping in every day over that first summer that was going right out the bottom... So the next winter they drained and lined it, and shotcrete is the fast and simple way to do it..

Paradise Bay was smoothed out flat and poured in slabs and sections like a parking lot, with right angles at all the elevation changes for the 'channel' and such. Probably has a lot more steel or reinforcing mesh in it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    When the ROA are drained how do they keep Splash Mountain running? Isn't there a little section that actually goes out into the ROA after the huge drop? Does Disney simply put up a wall and block it off so the water stays? Or are the "trails" built solid without holes in the sides?

Also, what happens to all the poor, little crayfish and turtles? Do they just bite the big one?
    Yes, the flume from Splash is kept seperate with a wall, the Splash water has to be kept filtered for human contact, the River not so much...

They have to do something with the critters, they are an important part of a healthy ecology, even if it is man-made.

They probably have a side pond (like the Fantasmic! raft harbor) they can dam off, sweep up all the critters and stick them in while working, or other temporary arrangements for the month the river is dry.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Because they built the Rivers Of America unlined, then realized how much water they were dumping in every day over that first summer that was going right out the bottom... So the next winter they drained and lined it, and shotcrete is the fast and simple way to do it..
    Actually, Bruce, the story is that when they initially attempted to fill the Rivers of America before the Park opened, the water drained away pretty rapidly into the sandy soil.

The river was then lined with clay long before opening day.

I'm not sure when it was coated with concrete--although I do remember seeing that the shoreline of TSI was not natural dirt and reeds sloping gently into the water any more, but instead what appeared to be a dirt-colored concrete edge or rim, probably after the last drainage.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Actually, Bruce, the story is that when they initially attempted to fill the Rivers of America before the Park opened, the water drained away pretty rapidly into the sandy soil.

The river was then lined with clay long before opening day.

I'm not sure when it was coated with concrete--although I do remember seeing that the shoreline of TSI was not natural dirt and reeds sloping gently into the water any more, but instead what appeared to be a dirt-colored concrete edge or rim, probably after the last drainage.
    Beary-Tales has a lot of Fantasmic! construction pics on it... They show it being lined with cement in those pics, so I assume the majority of the river was lined during construction of Fantasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    ... especially with the dye they put in the water.
    --<< Bruce >>--
    Do you know why they Dye the water? They went for years and years without putting Dye into the water.
    It just doesn't look natural coming off of the Sternwheeler.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast