Essay on Disneyland

I'm looking to write an essay about Disneyland. The main theme of my essay is something like what are the techniques and visual illusions that Disney parks use in order to create and immerse guests in a theme? Basically I want to write about the secrets about the tricks and illusions that are used and how they are used in the Disney parks. I'm looking to write about things such as architectural techniques like forced perspective, landscaping like the berm around Disneyland and the use of foliage to disguise backstage, and even some techniques that are seen in attractions like the use of scrims in the Haunted Mansion or the way that the ride actually starts when you enter the line. Can anybody help in suggesting sources I could use or where I should be looking? Thanks!

• Super

Re: Essay on Disneyland

I'm not entirely sure if they've got Disneyland specific stuff, but I assume they do... I've seen quite a few imagineering books around the place. I would think they would be a treasure trove of information about details and buildings and designs and things... and the reasons and stories behind these things. I'm sure there would be some excellent stuff to reference.

• Sock Puppet

Have you ever been to any disneyland? Normally you get a pamphlet of you to see and expect. You can also check their websites and they will provide with more information on where to get the facts you need.

• =)

John Hench's Designing Disney is a pretty good one, for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by migy21 View Post
    Have you ever been to any disneyland? Normally you get a pamphlet of you to see and expect. You can also check their websites and they will provide with more information on where to get the facts you need.
    Which Disney resort gives you complimentary guides to the techniques used by the Imagineers, and why haven't I gone there?

Thanks! I'll be sure to take a look at the Designing Disney book...it sounds interesting.

• =)

There's also one simply called Walt Disney Imagineering, I believe. Lotsa good stuff in there, though it's hardly a serious treatise on all the deepest secrets of Imagineering.
    Last edited by Datameister; 04-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.

• Senior Minion

I believe the one Data is refering to is the one subtitled a Behind the Dreams look at Making the Magic. It's a great book, but it jumps around a lot and is not DL focused if that's what you're looking for. John Hench's book is not that technical about effects as what I think you're looking for, but it's a great book; it's almost like a text book for people studying the art of Imagineering or who want to become Imagineers or themed designers. But it's more theory and design oriented. Honestly I don't know of one text though that would have all the info you're looking for, you'll probably have to do a bit of research and select from a few texts and web sites.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with childrenís toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You knowÖthe Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

^ Agreed on all points.