Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• (Not a) New User

AHHH!! Help plz!!!!

I know this is probably the wrong place for this, but I know you guys can probably help. So, my mom's bday is on may 31st, the day after the gumball rally. my cousin's birthday is june 1st, which is a monday. they are going to dl for their birthdays. however, they won't let anyone else come. so i talked to my dad, asking if maybe we could take our own trip down that same weekend so i could participate in the rally. he said no.

he also said we shouldn't get AP's because we only go 2-3 times a year. i told him that we could go more and get discounts too if we got AP's. he said we shouldn't be going as much as we do anyway.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY PARENTS!?!

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: AHHH!! Help plz!!!!

hard to answer that question. Perhaps they have some monetary concerns that you aren't aware of, and don't believe that APs or trips to DL have priority. Regardless, you'll be old enough to make your own trips soon, then you can be the one to worry about how to pay for the AP and expenses :-)
    Till then, enjoy it when you can, and keep hoping for a change in t heir circumstances or outlook...stranger things have happened!

• Here's my 2 cents

Sorry Kid, right or wrong parents rule, you'll be your own person soon, but until then..........
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I grew up 4 miles from Disneyland and my family only went every couple of years. Why? Because it cost money. A lot of money for a working class family of four. So knowing DLand was special only made me love it more.

Later on, when I got an education and a job and was on my own I figured out when I could afford an AP and bought one.

Times are tought right now and, believe it or not, Disneyland isn't a necessity. Appreciate the times you do get to go there.

As long as you are under their roof, Mom and Dad's rules are the ones that count.

(I now feel as old as dirt.)

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Nothing is wrong with your parents. Trust me, when I was (probably) your age. I would only get to go to Disneyland 3 or 4 times a year and I only live 10 minutes away.

Also with the economy... Money isn't being nice to people.

I think you're parents saving their moneys for more important things.. but at least that gives way to miss disneyland more
    I love Disney and Twilight!

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

yeah growing up i only went to Disneyland when i was 6 and 13. My parents didnt have the money to go, but when we did it was so awesome! Sure, i got the AP now, but i bet it wouldnt be as special to me now if i'd have gone a lot.

in 3 years or so (im guessing) you will be able to go every other month like me (unless you're a local lol)! or just save all your job money and hitch rides

Good Luck!!

and they lived happily ever after

Ooo, I'd be hurt - it seems unfair that you get left behind!

But, as far as passes go, they are very pricey. At minimum wage, even the Southern California pass equals several days worth of work. It's a lot. Have you thought about getting a job? (You'll see then too how every hour worth of income is hard to part with!) But if you were to have your own money, perhaps you would be able to choose what to spend it on.

Good luck.

• Just splashing around...

I'm sure your parents would like nothing more than to buy your family annual passes and take more frequent trips, but the reality is that a trip to Disneyland is expensive, AP or no AP. It is probably hard on your dad to have to tell you no, but he is making the decision that he feels is best. Lots of families are putting off luxuries right now in favor of necessities like groceries, medical care and housing. Going to Disneyland 2-3 times a year is already much more often than a lot of people get to go. I know it can be sad and frustrating when you know people who are going and it is hard to think of them having a good time without you. But I think it's important to be grateful for the fact that your parents take you there at all, and as others have said, soon enough you will be an adult and can make Disneyland a priority of your own, if that is what you choose to do. For now, just look forward to your next trip, and know that Disneyland will always be there.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I believe that you are really taking this out of context. Times are tough for everyone who has a bill to play and going to the parks just isn't a priority to most families - sure it's fun, but honestly, it's super expensive to visit the parks whether you have an annual pass or not.

Take into consideration the cost of hotel or lodging, food, snacks, drinks, taxes, lockers, souvenirs, the rally itself, ect. If you really think about it, a trip to Disneyland can cost a couple-weeks worth or more of a minimum wage job.

For instance, say a family of 3 wants to visit the park for 2 days. Both parents work a job that pays $8 even (per hour) with taxes included. They work for 1 week (7 days) for 7 hours a day. That's $56 a day per person, or $392 per person per week. Combing both parent's complete salary would give you $784. This does NOT include groceries, mortgage, electricity bills or anything that they have to pay outside of the trip. Now, if they got paid every 2 weeks, that would only be a total of $1568. That's not a lot.
    Now, you want to go to Disneyland, your Mom gets in free. You still have to buy 2 tickets, $69 each, which cost a total of $138, if you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack, that is about $330 (for 2 days), if you stay at a hotel, that's going to be another $300; now say that everyone wants a souvenir, that's an easy $100(2 days), it cost money to get to Disneyland, let's just say you live 50 miles away - that's easily $20. There are other charges I didn't add and already you are at $888. That leaves your parents with $680 - they still need to pay for household stuff. I'm not saying that your parents only make $8, or it's going to cost $888. It's just a rough estimate of how much it CAN cost to spend two full days inside the park.

I'm not siding your parents, nor am I siding you, I just want to make the point of how expensive it is to visit the parks. I'm sure your parent's have a good reason for not going and I don't believe that you should bother them to go - like I said before, times are tough and it's just difficult to afford. I hope you get to visit in the future, maybe just not the Rally weekend. Parents will always rule over people living under their roof - it's just the way it goes. You can hate them or regret them as much as you want, like I use to do, but in the end - it's really not as bad as it seems. It's always easier to spend someone else's hard-earned money - I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will get to visit the parks as soon as possible.
    Last edited by MsSarah; 04-23-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Not a Minion

Unless you live walking distance, going to disneyland frequently is quite expensive.

The AP deal may seem like a bargain, but its a way for disney to stay afloat in off season period, by juicing the money out of AP holders. Some may think that having an AP means free trips to disneyland, but un thought of expenses include food, drinks, and churros. If you live out of the area, staying overnight around the area can be costly. Toss in parking and the tempting souvenirs you would want to buy. It gets expensive. I'd say a full day at disney can easily cost an AP holder $50 and just go up from there.

Disneyland is not a cheap place. It is a luxury, and trust what you're parents say. Im sure that when you're older, working and paying for more important things, trips to disneyland would be the last thing you would want to be thinking about.

Hmmm....I work two jobs and have a lot going on, but let me tell you, Disneyland is far from the last thing on my mind. In fact, the reason I recently bought another AP was because I needed to treat myself, to escape from the drudgery of every day life. To suggest that upon growing up, one won't think about going to Disneyland because they will have more important issues to address is to overlook the desire to go now and the fact that it probably will still be a desire later.

I'm just going to throw this out there - but young people are smart, they know on some level that their parents money is tight. Most responses seem to side with the parents on some level which invalidates the feelings of being left out. But, maybe the poster knows the "hard facts" already and came here really seeking a bit of sympathy.

As I said before, I'd feel hurt to be left out, and helpless to not be able to change a situation whose other outcome would have brought me joy. The title of the thread asks for help (plz!!), but how can we help the most? By having more empathy. It won't change the facts of the situation, but it might help the poster feel better about the no Disneyland plight.

I'm sorry that DisneyKid and many others are left out of the fun because of prices. It's a stinker. Although, I'm certainly glad there are folks here who can share in fun outside of Disneyland by posting stories, trip photos, and news of the park so we can imagine and feel like we are there even when we're not. What would us Disney fans do without such a resource? It really helps to have other people to share with! And at least we can share that with you Disneykid.

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Zen Whistles View Post
    Ooo, I'd be hurt - it seems unfair that you get left behind!

But, as far as passes go, they are very pricey. At minimum wage, even the Southern California pass equals several days worth of work. It's a lot. Have you thought about getting a job? (You'll see then too how every hour worth of income is hard to part with!) But if you were to have your own money, perhaps you would be able to choose what to spend it on.

Good luck.
    I'm not old enough to get a real job. Maybe a summer job though...

And I understand that times and the economy is rough right now, but I grew up there and I'm just a little mad that I won't be able to meet everyone on this webiste. And I know I probably sound like a spoiled brat right now but it's because I don't really have any friends. Everyone here is happy and some know each other personally, but when you don't really have a life, you're forced to live inside a cramped lonely solitude of technology and videogames. I don't go out a lot, so when I do get to go to a theme park like DL, it's like being there for the very first time. Most people here goes to DL a lot and recognizes other MiceChatters, and they can be happy. You can't know what this like, or how I feel, unless you've been in this position.
    Last edited by DisneyKid1994; 04-23-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    I'm not old enough to get a real job. Maybe a summer job though...

Ah, that's rough, but it also means that whatever job you get would pay you under the table - jobs like babysitting, mowing lawns, petsitting, dogwalking, things like that. Try going around your neighborhood and finding some nice old people too, they're usually happy to see an industrious young person and might have something for you to do. It may be pocket change, but you've got to start somewhere to get jingling!

I wish you the best of luck!

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Zen Whistles View Post
    Ah, that's rough, but it also means that whatever job you get would pay you under the table - jobs like babysitting, mowing lawns, petsitting, dogwalking, things like that. Try going around your neighborhood and finding some nice old people too, they're usually happy to see an industrious young person and might have something for you to do. It may be pocket change, but you've got to start somewhere to get jingling!

I wish you the best of luck!
    Thank you guys. I'm bawling my eyes out right now... but I can't actually cry because my sister will yell at me for being loud. Seriously though...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast