Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could it Work?

• Minion

Could it Work?

Hi everyone! So I want to ask you guys a question about one of our former attractions at DCA. Grizzly River Rapids. Well first off this is a great ride and is apparently going to put out in Disneyland Paris and maybe in the future Hong Kong. So this ride is great at taking you through avery mountain wilderness setting with white water rapids.

My question is could they or want to add a more broader storyline? Would you like them to add AA animals such is in the extinct Natures Wonderland? Or add a Country bear storyline and characters? Or something else? My question is if you would change it what would you do? Or would you just leave it. This is blue sky so technical junkies don't say anything about to much weight and stress being added to the structure! I'm really curios to see what other people would do. Thanks for your time!

-Dlandclub33

• Banned User

Re: Could it Work?

No, no country bear storyline. No talking animals period. I always thought some deers and wolves and bears with beavers in the opening would be great!

• Minion

Me too! I always thought it was strange they didn't even add just still animal figures like in big thunder (-goat)

As much as a adored (and mournfully miss) the Country Bears, I don't think that they would really belong with Grizzly.

But a more "natural" AA approach would be a great addition to the style of the ride, like the aforementioned deers, wolves, bears, etc. Something to make it similar to what you might encounter on a REAL rapids course.

• Minion

Okay. Sorry for the confusion. I never wanted them to add country bears. I used them as an example.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

The original backstory of GRR was that it was a wild water rafting adventure company set up by a group of enterprising 20-somethings as an "extreme sports adventure." Yes, this was another attempt at making the original DCA "hip, in-your-face" and contemporary. This is also evidenced by the attraction's logo on the exterior and the props in the adjacent store.

While this does not excuse the lack of AA or partial AA animals along the way, it does explain the lack of a more cohesive storyline on the ride itself - the storyline is in the queue and the gift shop; it's supposed to be nothing more immersive than a white water adventure.

If Phase II gets financially approved, this extreme sports layer will be removed and it will be incorporated into a national park theme - that may include another layer of theming with animals, AA's, and other immersive details.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I want them to add Wall*E

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I want them to add Wall*E
    Don't forget the loop!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Okay. Sorry for the confusion. I never wanted them to add country bears. I used them as an example.
    Ah, I want them back so badly. Even if it was just an example.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Hi everyone! So I want to ask you guys a question about one of our former attractions at DCA. Grizzly River Rapids.
    Former?

LOL

I wish!!

One of the big complaints about DCA, overall .. has been a lacking in the details that makes a "Disney" park special, and so much better than everyone else.

With low budgets, and a bad creative team assembled .. we got DCA 1.0

Fortunately ... that is being remedied in "DCA 2.0". And the rumor is .. Grizzly River Run .. along with the rest of the "Grizzly Peek" area .. will be absorbed into the makeover in a "phase 2" process .. as mentioned above.

I was VERY disappointed with GRR the first time I rode it. Like so much of DCA .. I said ... where's the details, like AAs .. and other props that would take part on this ride? The other element .. is it gets passengers far too wet. This should be a headliner attraction EVERYONE can enjoy ... day or night. 95 degrees ... or in 65 degree weather.

It's not just AAs that could be part of the show.

Take for instance the semi-open area ... at the gate to the 1st drop. There's nothing going. All rock walls ... and nothing else.

It is in here .... where they could enclose it .. and .. when a raft is at the gate .. waiting for clearance ... and then open .. is where some cool effect could happen.

I could go on, and on .. with ideas .. but I won't bore you all.

But suffice it to say ... once "phase 1" is complete in 2012 .. Hopefully, we can count on release of information .. on what they intend to do. Providing "phase 1" is a hit, in 2012.

Long way off.

But I do hope they address the ride by making it less wet, and add more on the "Disney Show" elements.

• Minion

^ no ur ideas aren't boring! Go on!

i like the ride as is. some simple animals like on btmrr would work, but the best part for me is watching other people react to getting wet. my friends make some strange faces.

^I agree, Tomorrowland. It would be great to have something there while you are stuck waiting in the rafts. All that waiting wouldn't be that noticeable if there were some kind of ...something!

• Minion

I believe that it does not need any additions. Part of what makes Disney attractions so amazing is their ability to tell a story without forcing one on you. With this attraction it immerses you in that world and allows you to have your own story.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

How do you get "far too wet" on a Rapids Ride?

It even warns you that you may get drenched. I enjoy it in 95 or 65 degree weather. Everyone CAN enjoy it, but they aren't willing to take the time to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast