Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Question What is it you don't like about the DCA remodel?

Warning! Those who do not wish to engage in these often very heated "discussions" about the DCA remodel, steer clear of this thread! Don't say I didn't warn you...

After seeing how much of a hot topic this is in the DCA Project Tracker thread (and following the suggestion of a fellow MCer), I went ahead and created this thread as a place to vent your frustrations with the remodel.

Go ahead.

Srsly.

Have at it. Just keep it within the bounds of MiceChat rules.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: What is it you don't like about the DCA remodel?

Any remodel is annoying and inconvenient. But sometimes things have to be done and the only way to get them done is by messing things up temporarily. Of course I'm close enough I can go on a regular basis, someone who only makes it to the park once a year or less is of course going to have a different feeling.

But the parks can't stay static. Yes its a pain but the greater good outweighs the hassle.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Ooh! Such a wonderfully polite observation! Great job, Pengy!

And, I totally agree, it may be a slight inconvenience, but it's worth it in the end. Even if we don't get everything we see in the concept art.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Ooh! Such a wonderfully polite observation! Great job, Pengy!

And, I totally agree, it may be a slight inconvenience, but it's worth it in the end. Even if we don't get everything we see in the concept art.
    Well like I said... I'm only a couple of hours away. I have an AP. I have the luxury if you will of being able to ignore a lot of the construction since I go several times a year. As long as I can afford the tank of gas to get me there and back.

I do think Disney tries to minimize the effects on the visitors as much as possible. But with so much going on all at once, and so much of it being on a scale that its going to be ongoing for the next few years, I can see how there will be times when even us jaded APer's might begin to get annoyed and bored with the walls, detours and dust.

And as for those that maybe this is their trip of the year or whatever, I think they just need to take the approach of taking what there is, when it is... sort of a Zen idea. Yes, its annoying to travel 3000 miles and spend thousands of dollars and be greeted by construction walls, but just accept the fact that the surgery is needed for the patient to survive, and maybe the next trip everything will be better than before!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• =)

There's plenty that I don't mind and even really like about the idea of the overhaul - it'll certainly be an improvement, on the whole. But that's not what this thread is about. What I don't like is the following:

* DCA lacks many important things, but it's fared relatively well when it comes to not breaking the overall theme. The park claims to be about California, and a lot of it truly is, even if it doesn't do a good job of it. After the overhaul, a large new land will be devoted entirely to a fictional small town in Arizona, and another major attraction will be devoted entirely to mermaids in the ocean, quite possibly near Denmark - certainly not California. The overhaul will dramatically increase entertainment value of the park, but at the cost of any sense of thematic direction, despite the fact that it will probably still bear the California name...and it will certainly still have a disproportionate amount of California stuff. Very schizophrenic. [EDIT: And yes, the Cars Land name is terrible. Just call it what it is: Radiator Springs...or Route 66, I guess, but I'd prefer Radiator Springs.]

* I find the Disney characters in Paradise Pier to be entirely unnecessary and very confusing when it comes to the Gustav Tinkerschmidt backstory.

* The new ticket booths might be period-appropriate, but based on the concept art, I'm not a big fan of how they're going to work stylistically with the new entrance. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually see them.

I have purposely omitted the annoyance of construction work from this list for several reasons: I don't go into DCA that often, there's no way around the necessity for improvement, I find the glimpses of the construction work to be interesting, and that park doesn't look that much worse with the construction walls anyway.
    Last edited by Datameister; 04-24-2009 at 10:05 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post

* I find the Disney characters in Paradise Pier to be entirely unnecessary and very confusing when it comes to the Gustav Tinkerschmidt backstory.
    You wouldn't even know about the Tinkerschmidt backstory if you didn't see it on Blue Sky Disney!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    You wouldn't even know about the Tinkerschmidt backstory if you didn't see it on Blue Sky Disney!
    I don't really want to debate this at the moment. I've done plenty of that. The thread asked a question, I answered it, and I don't really feel like defending those answers at the moment. Think of them what you will.

But first...one parting gift...another question. If what you're saying is true, how would it worth Disney's time, effort, and money? That was a rhetorical question...again, I don't feel like debating this right now.

• Sock Puppet

What I don't care for with the refurbishment is that the fine folks at Disney spent way too much time and effort in theming the construction walls. Some of it could be considered art. Way above and beyond the call of duty.

I would have been just fine with plain plywood. I'd let them slide because they are a NECESSITY and required to keep the inevitable few knucklehead guests from hurting themselves during the construction.

Some folks are going to complain no matter how nice Disney makes the walls look (and they certainly already have), so why bother...

Rather than be thankful and happy that something is being done to the place, some folks would rather just sit back and complain.

Oh well, such is life...

As for us, we look forward to the new DCA and will enjoy the trip along the way.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I don't like the changes on the Sun/Fun Wheel and Screamin'. I think the Mickey head on Screamin' was one of the most iconic & cute features in DCA. I also don't care for the pie-eyed Mickey style at all, so I'm not looking forward to that on the Wheel.
    <o>

• A Suitcase & A Dream

I don't like that the "new" park still doesn't have a cohesive "California" theme, there is so much to California that new attractions could be created from and they are relying on popular brands to bring people into the park, I don't think Mickey's giant face on a ferris wheel goes with the victorian theme they are trying to create.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

The walls and that's pretty much my only beef.

• Wilderness Explorer

I don't like that they've chosen "Carsland" as the name for the new land, when clearly "Route 66" would be inclusive of so many more possibilities reagarding car culture and it's relevance to California. Even if the landscape looks southwestern, it could still be loosely thematicly relevant (which is at least something)!

Personally, I don't like how the new Mickey's Fun Wheel was painted with red in black. I really like the red and yellow better like shown in the model at the blue sky cellar

• Imagineer to be

I'm actually not here to complain. I've just been disappointed for a while now and want to see what other people think. One thing that really bugs me about DCA is the lack of California theme. I don't know what imagineer came up with the idea that bugs had to do with California's iconic history, present pop culture, or traveling destinations. Same with Cars Land. What in cars land has anything to do with California? Answer - route 66. Just like what pirate tim said. So here's my two cents...

What a land should be:
    Why have I always loved Disneyland? Because in each land has limitless possibilities. Fantasyland is a basic idea which houses many little ideas. The main theme being fantasy leaves so many opportunities open. There can be rides based on fantasy movies from rides themed around everyday fantasy like It's a Small World. Tomorrowland is filled with anything futuristic (besides the subs, haha). Critter Country/ Frontierland is anything western. Adventureland is Jungle and, well, adventure. Point is, each land has a wonderful theme that takes you somewhere new and exciting with limitless possibilities.
    Why bugs land and Cars Land don't fit this:
    Bugs and Cars are based around one single idea. All the attractions in bugs land are based around one movie. Where can the land go from there? Cars is going to be magnificently themed. But other than the cars movie, what happens next? To me, these two lands aren't full of imagination to its fullest potential... limitless possibilities. Cars Land experience.... #1 - Upon entering land I realize I'm in radiator springs from the movie Cars. #2 - I then ride Mater's and Luigi's which are also from the movie Cars. #3 - The big and amazing attraction, Radiator Springs Racers, was yet again from the movie cars. #4 - I eat at Flo's cafe which is very similar to the Flo's cafe from the movie Cars. Do you get what I'm saying? The land is fun. The imagination is for sure there. But where's the type of imagination that never ends? The one with, dare I say it, limitless possibilities? It just doesn't feel like a Disney type of land to me.
    What I think they should do about it:
    Bugs land... re-theme, redo, add on, actually create a "land". I don't see where this land can continue with the bugs theme and keep the California theme.
    Cars Land... Don't theme the whole thing after cars. Have the whole land be called Route 66. Cars Land can be a nice sub-land. Keep radiator springs. Keep Mater's, Luigi's, and Racers. Keep it all as it will be a load of fun. But make it a sub land to Route 66. That will leave so many opportunities for the land to grow into something. It will never stop growing, like Disneyland. That's the thing. The Cars craze will be gone in 10 to 15 years. Then what will they do? Bulldoze the land? Why waste all that money when you can make it into Route 66, a land that will have many possibilities.

What do you say? Route 66 with cars being a sub-land
    Last edited by thatonekid; 04-24-2009 at 10:22 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Not a huge fan of all the Disney characters taking over the Pier, myself. They could have done it much better, even....a spookhouse/dark ride with the Villains, for example, would fit a boardwalk theme and make some sense for the characters it featured.....having a giant Mickey head on the Sun Wheel, time appropriate maybe, but rather random out of nowhere...doesn't make sense they'd take down one obvious nod to the mouse and right away add another, bigger one right there next to the old one's location.

As others have said, the California theme is pretty much down the drain in terms of Carsland and the Little Mermaid...I have high hopes for both areas, but they aren't about California, pure and simple.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast