Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Talking My Own Disney Park Design

Hey everyone!

So one of my extremely extremely geeky habits over the years has been designing my own theme parks or Disney parks using the Microsoft Paint program. Yes, I know, it's archaic, but I like it for some odd reason. I do this mostly as a weird meaningless hobby when I need a break from more serious computer work. I once had one that I worked on for 5 years and it included 5 theme parks, a ton of hotels, infrastructure, et cetera. It was quite the fun project.

This is one I started last week; I thought I'd share it with all of you and maybe a couple of you would share in my geekiness. The below map has a Disney-style theme park with four lands (MS Plaza, Westernland, Discoveryland, and Storybookland). It has space for a parking garage, hotel, and entertainment district (none of this is really done yet). It does have a parade route, two parade warehouses, and the gates for the parade. Just like in Disneyland, most of the facades are built, but the bigger rides take place in a show building behind the facade (these are the greenish buildings).

I have plenty of ideas for expansion, but I'm purposely not expanding it for now. Part of the fun for these designs for me is that they're never really finished - like DL, I have to work in a confine space to create layers and immersive environments, and be creative with attraction space. Over time, these kind of things develop a very detailed and layered look. Only being a week old, this doesn't have that layered look yet, and there is still plenty of open expansion.

I do have plans to add some other things in the near future ... possibly a train around Westernland, many enchancements to MS Plaza, a detailed Central Plaza, and a more detailed and revised TL, all working with the original infrastructure that I have created here. There is a big space between the south edge of Storybookland and the northern edge of Discoveryland, but for now this is all "backstage."

Anyway ... if you've read this far, bless you! :P Below is the image (probably get a better viewing by checking out my flickr account at flicker.com/wjnm1982, but I have listed the attraction guide below to, that corresponds with the numbers on the map. If anyone's interested, I'll add to this thread by posting newer versions when things significantly change. Thanks for playing! :P

Main Street Plaza
    1. Walt Disney Story
    2. Main Parade Warehouse
    3. Fire/First Aid Station
    4. Main Street Cinema
    Westernland
    5. Soarin’ Over the West
    6. Haunted Mansion
    7. Haunted Mansion Show Building
    8. Rancho del Zocalo
    9. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    10. Western River Expedition
    11. WRE Show Building
    12. Rivers of America
    13. Westernland Dock
    14. Tom Sawyer Island
    15. Fantasmic!
    16. Fantasmic! Viewing Area
    17. Fantasmic! Storage Building
    18. Horseshow Corral Theatre
    19. Pirates of the Caribbean
    20. Tarzan’s Treehouse
    21. Indiana Jones: Tempe of the Forbidden Eye
    22. Tahitian Terrace
    23. Jungle Cruise
    24. Expedition Everest
    25. Enchanted Tiki Room
    26. Grizzly River Rapids
    55. Tree of Life/Disney’s Earth
    Discoveryland
    27. Aquatopia
    28. Videoplis
    29. The Star Trader
    30. Mysterious Island/Journey to the Center of the Earth
    31. Star Tours
    32. Tomorrowland Dance Club
    33. The Space Place
    34. Space Mountain
    35. Mars Rover Astro Blasters
    36. Carrousel of Progress
    37. Tomorrowland Terrace
    38. Mission to Mars
    39. NASA Space Exploration Museum
    40. Test Track
    41. Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café
    42. Auxiliary Parade Warehouse
    43. Mission: Space
    Storybookland
    44. Peter Pan’s Flight
    45. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
    46. Crush’s Coaster
    47. The Art of Disney Animation
    48. The Littler Mermaid: Ariel’s Adventure
    49. King Arthur Carrousel
    50. Ariel’s Grotto Restaurant
    51. Toy Story Mania
    52. Monsters Inc: The Great Door Search
    53. “it’s a small world”
    54. Radiator Springs Racers
    Last edited by WJNM; 04-25-2009 at 10:18 PM.

• Banned User

Re: My Own Disney Park Design

Seems like their is too much if you ask me. Slim it down to the the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Seems like their is too much if you ask me. Slim it down to the the best of the best.
    True ... too many e-tickets right next to each other. Thanks for the advice! BTW, can you guys see the picture? It's not showing up on my side, but my comp is having trouble today with graphics for some reason. If you can't see it, does MC generally have tech issues with displaying flickr pics?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    True ... too many e-tickets right next to each other. Thanks for the advice! BTW, can you guys see the picture? It's not showing up on my side, but my comp is having trouble today with graphics for some reason. If you can't see it, does MC generally have tech issues with displaying flickr pics?
    No, I cannot see the picture. Another thing, it doesn't make much sense having Everst and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Two massive icons, that really shouldn't need to compete with each other.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    Coincidentally I just joined flickr today for the sake of my trip report and ran into the same problem. I also found a solution.

Click the "all sizes" button at the top of the picture after you click your picture's thumbnail. Then, choose the size you want "there should be grey buttons that say "medium, large, etc.". Then scroll down and grab the photo's url.

Come back to micechat and click on the "insert image" button and paste the url.

And wellah your picture will appear in the post.

No, I cannot see the picture. Another thing, it doesn't make much sense having Everst and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Two massive icons, that really shouldn't need to compete with each other.
    Agreed. I think I will be removing Journey to the Center of the Earth soon because I didn't like how it turned out ... it'd be good for an expansion. I think when I redo some Discoveryland elements I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    Coincidentally I just joined flickr today for the sake of my trip report and ran into the same problem. I also found a solution.

Click the "all sizes" button at the top of the picture after you click your picture's thumbnail. Then, choose the size you want "there should be grey buttons that say "medium, large, etc.". Then scroll down and grab the photo's url.

Come back to micechat and click on the "insert image" button and paste the url.

And wellah your picture will appear in the post.
    Thanks Goover, I appreciate the help! I should have known that, but I've been conducting the day with some sort of mindblock haha.

• Collision speed....FULL!

No railroad around the park?!?

I strongly reject your design.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    No railroad around the park?!?

I strongly reject your design.
    Haha I know .... I'm looking at some ways of making that work. I unfotunately got carried away before I got to that.

When I redesign MS Plaza, I'm going to add a railroad station to the front, renovate the Haunted Mansion, and have the train tunnel through BTMRR/WRE. Then it can go through tunnels/dioramas while it travels over the show buildings for Pirates and Indy. I'd have to redo some TL areas, mainly bring the domes of Mission to Mars forward. It can tunnel through the RSS building easily enough, but the biggest challenge was aesthetically for the western border of Storybookland (behind the TSMM/TLM show buildings). But I plan to expand the area behind there, between those show buildings and the lake, so it should work.

My own Disneyland will never be completed.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Am I not seeing a Castle on your design? I suggest the legend of Zelda castle- oh wait, that's not Disney.

Have Disney buy them out and then put that castle in the park.

But if you have to go with a Disney castle then I'd love to see The Beast's Castle complete with bottomless side foggy fall to the death hole as seen in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Am I not seeing a Castle on your design? I suggest the legend of Zelda castle- oh wait, that's not Disney.

Have Disney buy them out and then put that castle in the park.

But if you have to go with a Disney castle then I'd love to see The Beast's Castle complete with bottomless side foggy fall to the death hole as seen in the movie.
    That would be fun! But alas, no castle, nor plans for a castle. From the entrance, my version of Fantasyland is on the side, and it wouldn't make sense to have a castle on the side rather than up front. I know, I'm breaking tradition, but I wanted to go a bit different here.

• Banned User

I see no castle? And why would the castle lead to Discoveryland? Weird...

I see no castle? And why would the castle lead to Discoveryland? Weird...
    No castle ... and if it was in its traditional place, it would lead into Discoveryland. Like I said, it's a different design. Do you think there should be a castle built on the side that would lead to Storybookland? I'm not against doing it. It'd be a good weenie leading to the land.

• Lackey

"Agreed. I think I will be removing Journey to the Center of the Earth soon because I didn't like how it turned out ... it'd be good for an expansion. I think when I redo some Discoveryland elements I will do that."????

Great! I just find this new park and my favorite ride is being replaced already. The "Save the Journey" campaign starts now!

I kid. It looks great, especially for doing it in Paint. Any chance of posting some of the other, more elaborate versions from the past? It would be great to see how detailed you can make it with the Paint program.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• aka the scorpion eater!

Why not use the golden colored spacy looking space type of design for the castle they were going to use for Disneyland Paris as seen in he Imagineering book... then you have the castle in the center and it would fit with the theme! Who said the castle has to be for the Fantasyland section of the park? Why not let it lead to Discoveryland
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• Senior Minion

I think it really depends on what you're going for. If it's a Disneyland, then I think it should have a castle at the center and it should lead to the Fantasyland of the park. The basic DL framework you can take a lot of thematic directions, but I think if you leave the basics too far it'll loose it's core identity. If this is some new type of park, well then I think you can do anything you want, but then I think you should also remove some of the iconic DL attractions that IMO should only ever appear in DL style parks.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast