Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: "Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

Quote Originally Posted by TIS17 View Post
    It sucks that the ride sounds like it will break the theme a lot. But it also sounds like it could be a fun immersive experience. Even if it's a rip-off of Splash Mountain across the street...
    The park might change to a movie theme such as Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

Very much appreciate your positive thoughts on the fun potential of an immersive attraction such as this. Today's technology would allow for a significantly different experience than Splash Mountain. For instance ..
    HD3-D, a roller coaster element, an array of modern special effects, enhanced sound, etc.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: "Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Welcome to MiceChat! However...that was very bitter sarcasm on my part. No attraction could effectively pay tribute to the film and to the state of California. They're completely unrelated.
    A) The park will likely shift it's name away from the California theme, and the gate take on a movie theme.

B) The California Zepher is the only ride with the CA name branded on it. Just change the names of a few shops/confection stands, and Paradise Pier could be themeatically located at any beach in the country. Once the park changes it's name, there will be no limiting CA theme to it whatsoever.

C) The move starts out in the U.S. (for all we know CA, and travels to South America.) So, why would it be so unrealistic in a theme park fantasy environment to travel from the second gate to South America?

I say if it's good, go for it. CA needs quality attractions to build attendance.

an "UP" related attactions would fit as well as Monsters Inc, Bugs Land, Cars Land, Little Mermaids ride and Toy Story Mania. not "California" but made in California.

Soarin' Over the World and the World of Color won't fit a California only theme

not sure where High School Musical is supposed to be or where Muppets are produced.

also, when I think of Victorian era boardwalks I get more of an east coast feeling than California. California boardwalks I think Spanish stucco.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I say if it's good, go for it. CA needs quality attractions to build attendance.

an "UP" related attactions would fit as well as Monsters Inc, Bugs Land, Cars Land, Little Mermaids ride and Toy Story Mania. not "California" but made in California.

Soarin' Over the World and the World of Color won't fit a California only theme

not sure where High School Musical is supposed to be or where Muppets are produced.

also, when I think of Victorian era boardwalks I get more of an east coast feeling than California. California boardwalks I think Spanish stucco.
    Very good points, one and all. Purist "theme violation" complaints are seriously flawed the vast majority of the time.

You're best observation is that World of Color will not fit a California only theme ..as the Disney movies represented in the show will be from all over the world. If WALL-E is a part of it, we're talking about space, too. LOL!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-26-2009 at 08:30 AM.

• Senior Minion

Mermaid and TSMM do fit the theme of their land and CL is totally being added to support the Califonia theme. Monsters and BL really don't belong IMO, both were desperate quick and cheap solutions to try and fix a broken park that offered too little for small kids. Up just makes no sense on a late 20's boardwalk, the overall theme of the park has nothing to do with it. I don't see why they'd spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the pier and then add something that would take away so much from what they're trying to accomplish with the theming. This would be a huge mistake IMO.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

WoC, like F! and a fairy tale castle with fireworks over it at the end of MS. They are thoughtfully and purposefully magical things that work well in their context. I'm not adamant about all thematic rules and agree that many people's interpretation of theme is far to rigid but that doesn't mean it's a smart idea to just put anything anywhere without any thought to the overall story the land and park are trying to tell. The 'rules' can be stretched far, and even purposely broken but there's got to be a reason.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    WoC, like F! and a fairy tale castle with fireworks over it at the end of MS. They are thoughtfully and purposefully magical things that work well in their context. I'm not adamant about all thematic rules and agree that many people's interpretation of theme is far to rigid but that doesn't mean it's a smart idea to just put anything anywhere without any thought to the overall story the land and park are trying to tell. The 'rules' can be stretched far, and even purposely broken but there's got to be a reason.
    Agree wholeheartedly. There is a reasonable balance to be struck where theme is concerned. Strict adherance in impracticle, while being overly lax creates a disjointed eysore.

I have no problems with any of the things in CA that don't exactly fit the California theme. my only requirement is that the attraction is good.

I don't have much imagination, but I hope that the designers would come up with ideas that would allow an "UP" attraction to fit in. then again Walt Disney put a castle at the end of Main Street USA.

might be better for "UP" to be a smaller attraction, more in line with the Fantasyland rides.

just wondering how does Cars Land fit the California theme? isn't Radiator Springs in Colorado or Utah?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I have no problems with any of the things in CA that don't exactly fit the California theme. my only requirement is that the attraction is good.

I don't have much imagination, but I hope that the designers would come up with ideas that would allow an "UP" attraction to fit in. then again Walt Disney put a castle at the end of Main Street USA.

might be better for "UP" to be a smaller attraction, more in line with the Fantasyland rides.

just wondering how does Cars Land fit the California theme? isn't Radiator Springs in Colorado or Utah?
    I would be happy with "UP" regardless of what form of an attraction it might take. Though, the watercoaster would be my favorite.

Route 66 and Carsland definitely do not fit the California theme.

Prior to the Interstate highway system, Rout 66 was the main artery between the eastern and western united states. It stretched from Chicago to California's coastline.

Tody, open road freedom lovers continue to restore as much of it as they can. As you can see, much of the former Route doesn't exist any longer ..and what does is in splotches across america. Radiater Springs is a clever, but ficticios town. Although Carsland does not fit the California theme, it would flow perfectly with a movie theme. this is why i think the DCA name will change to one envolving movies - possibly Disney-Pixar Studios, or Disney Studios, Anaheim or Hollywood Studios, Anaheim.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-26-2009 at 11:00 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Although it isn't certain, rumor is that the California Adventure will be in for a name change. Let's take a look at the concept art for the coming new entry way to the park -

The conceptual rendering for the park looks pretty similar to the art deco design for Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW, does it not? As that park's former name was ditched in favor of a better one, why is it out of the question that the DCA moniker will also be dropped.
    The Pan Pacific Auditorium on which the turnstiles are based was located in California.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The Pan Pacific Auditorium on which the turnstiles are based was located in California.
    Interesting nugget of information, lazyboy. You are quite talented at finding detailed facts such as this. If the park changes to a "studios" name, Pan Pacific Auditorium (of California) stye turmstiles will add a classy flare of distintion to te art deco design. The overall concept rendering of the entry remains extremely similar to the entry at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    No need to get all "Up" in arms.

That DCA may change its name sometime in the years ahead is irrelevant to the idea of having a flume ride themed to a movie based in South America and placing it in a California seaside pier. I know that California Adventure park isn't known for attractions that particularly fit the theme - that was why I was being sarcastic - but some things just plain don't make sense.
    Appreciate your tenor much more here. California adventure was a horrendous park name/theme to begin with ..in terms of it being both rendundant, clumsy, non-inspiring, and highly limiting.

Still, the CA theme would work as the movie starts out in the U.S. (possibly CA), aso would the ride. However, the CA theme will be shed like a caterpillar when it transforms from it's worm-like state and emerges into a beautiful buterfly.

Wait, didn't I recall hearing on Blue Sky Disney that Imagineers were testing in the HISTA theater in relation to making that an Up 3D attraction?

(and yes, I know that is way, way, way more controversial)...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Wait, didn't I recall hearing on Blue Sky Disney that Imagineers were testing in the HISTA theater in relation to making that an Up 3D attraction?

(and yes, I know that is way, way, way more controversial)...
    Blue sky disney is a lot of fun to follow. He's right for the most part the largest percentage of the time. Don't remember reading this projection, though. If this was posted, I doubt that disney would place Up anywhere in Tomorrowland ..as it takes place in the present. Cotrovercial it would be.

I remember Route 66 from the Cars movie. from the colors and landscape I was thinking Utah-Colorado. I should have looked it up first. Route 66 was farther south, so the fictional Radiator Springs could be more like New Mexico-Arizona.

I agree that the park needs to shed the California identity. a movie studio related title seems to be the best choice. that does however create a problem with Paradise Pier, Grizzly Peak and the Redwood Creek area.

maybe what Disney has to do is bite the bullet, make it one park and just add the new lands to Disneyland. seems like everyone that I know has AP or gets park hopper tickets and usually doesn't stay all day in one park.

make it easier to move between the two sides, add a monorail station, extend the train with more stations and bring back the People Mover and Skyway with stations on both sides. if your going to dream, make it big. too bad the economy is bad and money tight.
    Last edited by gary94080; 04-26-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast