Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: "Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

Movie Studio style parks suck. They are a dead end that lead to nowhere and are worthless. If you want a Movie Studio park go to Universal this is NOT what Disney needs. California is far more interesting then a stupid Movie studio. What does everyone think when they here movie studio? Themeless wharehouses with lavish insides. Look where that got Walt Disney Studios Park. California is a far superior theme then a Movie Studio. Carsland does relate to California because of the Route 66 theme. What it is, is an interpretation of Route 66, which played a HUGE part in California's history. Blue Sky Disney even sayed that they are sticking with the current name.

• Banned User

Re: "Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    What's Up with that?

Although it isn't certain, rumor is that California Adventure will be in for a name change. Let's take a look at the concept art for the coming new entry way to the park -

The conceptual rendering for the park looks pretty similar to the art deco design for Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW, does it not? As that park's former name was ditched in favor of a better one, why is it out of the question that the DCA moniker will also be dropped.

Granted the words "California Adventure" are on the sign here. Regardless, it would be easy to understand that Disney may well be intentionally witholding an intended official announcement new name from the press and the public. One thing that we all should have learned about disney by now is that the company prefers to do things when it is good and ready.
    The rumor that California Adventure would receive a name change was shot down several months ago. That rendering looks similar to Disney's HOLLYWOOD Studios park. Hollywood. Where is Hollywood? C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A! It makes no sense. That works for 2 areas. How would that tie in with the other three areas?

• =)

IMO, a movie studio theme is a bit of a cop-out, unless it's an actual working studio or there's a significant twist. If you just do a movie studio theme without a twist and without a working studio, it basically ends up becoming a place where you can put any attraction and claim it's thematically relevant because...well, it was in a movie! That's not conducive to a sense of cohesion in individual lands as well as the whole park.

Furthermore, I don't think DCA specifically is suited to a movie studio theme. Paradise Pier, the Bay-Area-themed areas, and the area around Grizzly River Run have nothing to do with movie studios. Again, the park is going in numerous different directions. The thematic umbrella is so massive that it's creating a desert underneath it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I remember Route 66 from the Cars movie. from the colors and landscape I was thinking Utah-Colorado. I should have looked it up first. Route 66 was farther south, so the fictional Radiator Springs could be more like New Mexico-Arizona.

I agree that the park needs to shed the California identity. a movie studio related title seems to be the best choice. that does however create a problem with Paradise Pier, Grizzly Peak and the Redwood Creek area.

maybe what Disney has to do is bite the bullet, make it one park and just add the new lands to Disneyland. seems like everyone that I know has AP or gets park hopper tickets and usually doesn't stay all day in one park.

make it easier to move between the two sides, add a monorail station, extend the train with more stations and bring back the People Mover and Skyway with stations on both sides. if your going to dream, make it big. too bad the economy is bad and money tight.
    An overall movie theme would encompass California themed attractions, but not vice-versa.

According to concept art, the monorail will run thru "DCA". Didn't think of it 'till you brought up your desire for a new monorail station, gary ..but a station could be placed inside the park. In fact, this may well be Disney's plans since they have it running thru the park anyway. That would be so-o-o cool!

As for the PeopleMover, disneyland is definitely going to get a replacement attraction for the PM ..might even be a more enjoyable experience, as terrific as the PM was. The Skyway ..like you, I just hope and pray for it to happen one day (and travelling thru the Matterhorn again, too. )
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Movie Studio style parks suck. They are a dead end that lead to nowhere and are worthless. If you want a Movie Studio park go to Universal this is NOT what Disney needs. California is far more interesting then a stupid Movie studio. What does everyone think when they here movie studio? Themeless wharehouses with lavish insides. Look where that got Walt Disney Studios Park. California is a far superior theme then a Movie Studio. Carsland does relate to California because of the Route 66 theme. What it is, is an interpretation of Route 66, which played a HUGE part in California's history. Blue Sky Disney even sayed that they are sticking with the current name.
    I completely agree. Radiator Springs is a blend of many southwestern locales, but the idea is about the road that brought people to California. I just really don't like the movie theme idea either, and really hope they don't rename it with any name like that. It doesn't even make sense considering the rumors of making HPB become Hollywoodland, that sounds less like a movie theme and more the California theme. I'm also certain WDI chose Cars Land because it works perfectly in a California theme park. They had an area poorly done with a Route 66 theme already, it makes sense to me to build a new highly themed Ruote 66 land and include some popular characters. But that still shows it's something they wanted to portray as part of California from the start, which it is.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I completely agree. Radiator Springs is a blend of many southwestern locales, but the idea is about the road that brought people to California. I just really don't like the movie theme idea either, and really hope they don't rename it with any name like that. It doesn't even make sense considering the rumors of making HPB become Hollywoodland, that sounds less like a movie theme and more the California theme. I'm also certain WDI chose Cars Land because it works perfectly in a California theme park. They had an area poorly done with a Route 66 theme already, it makes sense to me to build a new highly themed Ruote 66 land and include some popular characters. But that still shows it's something they wanted to portray as part of California from the start, which it is.
    Yes, you explained it very well. Besides, I am almost posotive that the Imagineers were going to have Radiator Springs Racers. Now you have that and you are going to feature a surrounding area on Route 66. With your space you have to have a straight street. Well wait a minute, how odd would it be to have a street with very similar characteristics to Radiator Springs in the movie and are already going to have a Cars themed ride. Why not make it into a lavish land?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123