Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

"Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

I'm totally down with Up. Looks to be a light-hearted movie experience that will lift your spirits and spur your sense of adventure at the same time. Part of what makes the film sound engaging is it's unexpected, non-steriotypical heroes ..a crusty 79-year-old senior citizen and arather portly 8-year-old scout.

YouTube - Up- Disney/Pixar- Inside Pixar's First 3D Movie
    The feature film is Pixar's 10th, and groundbreaking in that it is Disney-Pixar's first combined 3-D CG effort. For added perspective, hope you enjoy the following short feature titled, Inside Up. The video features footage of the film along with commentary from executive producer John Lasseter, director/writer Pete doctor, director/producer John Holland, producer Jonas rivera and 3-d supervisor Bob Whitehill.

Many of us by now have seen the trailers that show Carl's (the senior) house floating into the sky via a humongous cluster of balloons ..along with himself and the accidental hitch-hiking boy. The plot description relates that "the unlikely pair encounter wild terrain, unexpected villains, and jungle creatures."

At this point, some of you might be thinking "that's great", but how does this tie in to a possible water flume ride at Paradise Pier. Some time ago, I heard word from an insider with WDI connections that such a ride is in the plans for this area of the park. The theme was to alluded to, so I am just guestimating that the ride would most likelely be based on "Up".

Should the film turn out to be a soaring box office success, like other such Pixar features it is a given that an attraction will be modeled after it. The temporary Goofy's Flight School would be one of the objects to be removed in order to make room for the new flume ride. Like Splash Mountain, I would expect the flumes to weave in and out of an attraction building. As with the movie, the darkride portion would be adventurous, lightspirited, funny, and "stunningly breathtaking and beautiful. I'm thinking that it would be cool id there were a coaster element during the last 1/3rd of the ride, as well as with a big splash down in the lake.

Your thoughts...
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Re: "Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

Lets remember, Dick Tracy Crimestoppers, and the others. Besides, I DO NOT want an UP attraction.

• =)

Re: "Inside Up" Video Feature / Things Are Looking "Up" For Paradise Pier Flume Ride

Oh, good. Sounds like it totally supports the California theme.

EDIT: See my post below...I wouldn't have been quite so bitterly sardonic if I'd read the OP correctly. I thought it was an idea coming from Disney, not an idea coming from Ride Warrior. Whoops!
    Last edited by Datameister; 04-26-2009 at 12:37 AM.

• Lowering Expectations

Oh yes, because South America's Venezuela can fit just fine underneath the California-themed park's massive umbrella.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• =)

Totally!

• Banned User

At least its not a theme violation like Data says.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by OffWeGo! View Post
    At least its not a theme violation like Data says.
    Welcome to MiceChat! However...that was very bitter sarcasm on my part. No attraction could effectively pay tribute to the film and to the state of California. They're completely unrelated.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Welcome to MiceChat! However...that was very bitter sarcasm on my part. No attraction could effectively pay tribute to the film and to the state of California. They're completely unrelated.
    Data i know it was sarcasm haha. i just found it seriously hilarious because it was the perfect summing it all up post. haha

It sucks that the ride sounds like it will break the theme a lot. But it also sounds like it could be a fun immersive experience. Even if it's a rip-off of Splash Mountain across the street...

• Senior Minion

I'm willing to stretch themes, but that just sounds like a horrible idea. I don't see how that makes any sense, even the idea of Up as a flume based attraction sounds like a poor choice, of course not having seen the movie maybe that could work, but the rest sounds aweful.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Lowering Expectations

If someone wants my opinion without sarcasm, this idea is even worse than theming a wooden roller coaster with a Terminator movie. Completely illogical.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Lets remember, Dick Tracy Crimestoppers, and the others. Besides, I DO NOT want an UP attraction.
    What's Up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Oh, good. Sounds like it totally supports the California theme.
    Although it isn't certain, rumor is that California Adventure will be in for a name change. Let's take a look at the concept art for the coming new entry way to the park -

The conceptual rendering for the park looks pretty similar to the art deco design for Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW, does it not? As that park's former name was ditched in favor of a better one, why is it out of the question that the DCA moniker will also be dropped.

Granted the words "California Adventure" are on the sign here. Regardless, it would be easy to understand that Disney may well be intentionally witholding an intended official announcement new name from the press and the public. One thing that we all should have learned about disney by now is that the company prefers to do things when it is good and ready.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-26-2009 at 09:03 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Oh yes, because South America's Venezuela can fit just fine underneath the California-themed park's massive umbrella.
    Again, if there is anybody here that can say beyond a doubt that DCA will not change it's name ..I want you to promise to eat your hat in the event that it does.

If one has to go along with a group of people that know it all, and are willing to join together and make fun of somebody such as myself that occasionally has an independent idea ..well by all means make yourself happy.

I'll just consider the sourse. Eventually civil people that don't treat others like animals will join the thread.

Go ahead and laugh at me, you friendly people, you.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-26-2009 at 09:09 AM.

• =)

Okay...so what new umbrella theme would the post-2012 park support?

People argue that Disneyland doesn't have a cohesive theme, and thus DCA doesn't need one either. What they're missing is that Disneyland has a broad theme, but it still forms a cohesive whole. (With some unfortunate exceptions...) After this overhaul, DCA will have several very specific sub-themes (e.g. California, Pixar movies, vintage Disney cartoons, and non-Disney parks), but they won't point toward any cohesive whole. They'll be competing for your attention, not helping form a unique and consistent identity for DCA.

You know what the thing about umbrellas is? They don't do a whole lot of good if they're so small that nothing fits under them...or so big that they cause nationwide droughts...or full of holes...or if they're actually pieces of paper with umbrellas drawn on them...and even a structurally sound and very real umbrella with the perfect size is still of limited value if it's decorated in a particularly tasteless way.

EDIT: And I don't think anyone's making fun of you thus far, Ride Warrior...you presented an idea/rumor, and then you asked us for our thoughts. We're providing 'em. The sarcasm in my initial post wasn't intended to be hurtful, and I apologize if it came across that way - I must admit, at first, I think I misread your post and thought you were saying that your contact told you about the Up idea. If I'd realized it was just your own idea, I don't think I would have been so caustic.

• Lowering Expectations

No need to get all "Up" in arms.

That DCA may change its name sometime in the years ahead is irrelevant to the idea of having a flume ride themed to a movie based in South America and placing it in a California seaside pier. I know that California Adventure park isn't known for attractions that particularly fit the theme - that was why I was being sarcastic - but some things just plain don't make sense.

If saying that makes me an uncivil person that treats others like animals, well, so be it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast