Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Please stay home when sick: Disneyland guests and Cast Members

I really wish people would be respectful of others especially in this day and age with influenza outbreaks etc. I still cannot understand how visibly sick and contagious guests come to the park in cold sweats, with probably fevers, coughing and sneezing spreading there colds or flu's to so many others around them. It is especially troublesome when I see CastMembers visibly sick as well at work, in food positions etc.
    With what is going on with the swine flu possible pandemic I would hope that Disneyland management institutes a zero tolerance policy for cast members who are truly sick coming to work.

As guests and citizens in general it is up to us to be considerate to those around us (especially since so many children and older adults have weaker immune systems) If we have a cold or flu we should stay in our homes, practice frequent hand/soap washing and not venture into the public for at least 4 days or more based on Doctor or professionals advice.

I have gotten sick a couple times standing behind someone visibly sick in line coughing and sneezing, sure enough a few days after the visit to the park I came down with most probably the same virus. It would have saved me and probably hundreds of other guests affected by that one person had he/she been more responsible and stayed in the hotel or at home those days they were sick. If we are planning a vacation, travel insurance is relativley inexpensive and it will cover canceled trip expenses due to illness (with doctors verification)

I know most of us follow these standard considerations but I felt like I just had to vent especially after encountering at least 3 different visibly sick guests in the lobby of the Blu Bayou and on numerous attraction ques over the last few days. Not cool at all.

Heres to hoping I did not catch what they had. It did not look fun at all.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Please stay home when sick: Disneyland guests and Cast Members

Ha!

You're talking about folks taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

What world do you live in???

Please...

Yeah, I can just see it now. In addition to checking bags at the so-called security checkpoints, they'll start asking folks if they have a cold or the flu and deny them entry if they say yes. And if a CM is seen blowing his or her nose while on stage or talks with a horse voice, they'll be sent home without pay for the rest of the day.

Yeah, that'll work!!!

We practice our own personal responsibility by using hand sanitizer and washing our hands multiple times throughout the day.

Sure, you can't hide yourself against EVERY germ, but then again, we don't live inside bubbles. Folks take a risk every day of their lives by stepping outside their front door. It's part of life.

And I don't want our server at the Blue Bayou sneezing into our food as much as the next guy, but there is no feasable way to prevent it. Either guests will refuse to stay out because they have already paid for their once in a lifetime vacation (that has already been ruined by construction walls. LOL) and the CM's won't call in sick out of fear of retaliation or loss of pay.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I know what you are saying...but at the same time, how do you distinguish between deathly sick and just a cold or allergies? Life cannot stop for allergies. Paying guests want their moneys worth and CMs that live paycheck to paycheck cannot stop their income due to sneezing.

It is up to that person to make a right decision. If they are sick with a contagious disease, then they should stay home.

But you still can't make them. This isn't a totalitarian society, you cannot make their decision for them or judge them for it. I mean when my allergies act up, I know I look like hell. But I still go to work (and did as a CM too) when my allergies were acting up. Why? Because I still function fine and I need to save calling in for being sick.

I'm just saying someone with a scratchy throat and or blowing their nose doesn't equal swine flu. We can't all be so lucky to hide in our house every time we sniffle. So maybe have a bit less panic and judgment to those poor CMs.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    I know what you are saying...but at the same time, how do you distinguish between deathly sick and just a cold or allergies? Life cannot stop for allergies. Paying guests want their moneys worth and CMs that live paycheck to paycheck cannot stop their income due to sneezing.

It is up to that person to make a right decision. If they are sick with a contagious disease, then they should stay home.

But you still can't make them. This isn't a totalitarian society, you cannot make their decision for them or judge them for it. I mean when my allergies act up, I know I look like hell. But I still go to work (and did as a CM too) when my allergies were acting up. Why? Because I still function fine and I need to save calling in for being sick.

I'm just saying someone with a scratchy throat and or blowing their nose doesn't equal swine flu. We can't all be so lucky to hide in our house every time we sniffle. So maybe have a bit less panic and judgment to those poor CMs.
    Someone in line talking to there freinds about how sick they feel while sweating,coughing and sneezing, this person is clearly sick.

Also if things continue to progress with influenza N51 aka "swine flu" the government can and will shut down public gatherings and events. Let's do our part and help prevent it from getting that bad by isolating ourselves if sick.

CDC advisory:

# stay home for 7 days after the start of illness and fever is gone
    # get plenty of rest
    # drink clear fluids (such as water, broth, sports drinks, electrolyte beverages for infants) to keep from being dehydrated
    # cover coughs and sneezes. Clean hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub often and especially after using tissues and after coughing or sneezing into hands.
    # avoid close contact with others – do not go to work or school while ill
    Last edited by CAspace; 04-26-2009 at 10:24 AM.

• Disneymom

Some people may be on their vacation and come down with a cold. Why should they loose out on their vacation that they have paid for to hang out in the hotel? A cold is contagious yes but it is also very common and in most cases manageable. Good higien is recommenged.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Also if things continue to progress with influenza N51 aka "swine flu" the government can and will shut down public gatherings and events.

CDC advisory:

# stay home for 7 days after the start of illness and fever is gone
    # get plenty of rest
    # drink clear fluids (such as water, broth, sports drinks, electrolyte beverages for infants) to keep from being dehydrated
    # cover coughs and sneezes. Clean hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub often and especially after using tissues and after coughing or sneezing into hands.
    # avoid close contact with others do not go to work or school while ill

Typical swine flu hysteria. Headlines make ratings. Ratings make money.

Next week it'll be some other foreign germ that will be killing us all.

Please...

As far as the CDC advisory goes, plenty of folks ignore the Surgeon Generals' warnings too. And every other "expert's" advice out there...

Will the CDC reimburse folks for their loss of wages (or jobs) for following their advice?

I don't think so...

Even a Gov't employee would have a tough time explaining that they need a week's worth of sick leave due to them having a cold.

It's real easy for a bureaucracy to say something in regards to our "best interest". But following up on the end result of that advice is another thing.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I can appreciate what you've said. Which is why I always carry Purell in the tiny bottles or the individual packets of wet wipes wherever I go. I clean my hands. I clean my shopping carts. Dang, I've been known to use a wipe after I hold a menu.

• Storyteller

I was just at the DLR last week and found myself coming down with a cold the day we were driving home, which I'm still hanging on to. I'm not mad at anyone and I didn't see anyone who was visibly sick. You know you can dry out your sinuses and catch a cold by constantly changing temperatures? Walking from the outside heat to inside one of the attractions where it's heavily air-conditioned, and then back out into the heat and so on can bring on a cold.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    It's real easy for a bureaucracy to say something in regards to our "best interest". But following up on the end result of that advice is another thing.
    We are actually quite overdue for a wild pandemic like the 1918 Spanish flu that killed tens of millions of healthy young adults in the U.S. and abroad. This sort of health advisory is one that really should be taken to heart.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Typical swine flu hysteria. Headlines make ratings. Ratings make money.
    "Typical swine flu hysteria?" Just a ploy by the media to boost ratings?

Do you ever have your head in the sand!

U.S. declares public health emergency as swine flu spreads

April 26. 2009

(CNN) -- The United States government declared a public health emergency Sunday as the number of identified cases of swine flu in the nation rose to 20.

The declaration is part of a "standard operating procedure" that will make available additional government resources to combat the virus, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said at the White House.

Additional cases of swine flu are expected to be reported in the coming days, added Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. No one has died in the U.S. from swine flu, officials said Sunday.

In New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said eight students at St. Francis Prepatory School in Queens have tested positive for swine flu. More than 100 students at the school were absent with flu-like symptoms last week, he said.

State public health officials in Ohio confirmed one case of swine flu on Sunday. There have been seven confirmed cases in California, two in Kansas, and two in Texas, Besser said.

The World Health Organization advised all countries to be on the lookout for "unusual" outbreaks of flu, after an emergency meeting Saturday as the seriousness of the outbreak became clear.

By Sunday, 81 deaths in Mexico had been deemed "likely linked" to swine flu. Viral testing has confirmed 20 cases, said Dr. Jose A. Cordova Villalobos, Mexico's health secretary.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the outbreak "is of great concern to the White House," and Obama is receiving regular briefings on the issue.

"I would tell people it's certainly not a time to panic," Gibbs told reporters. "If you're sick, stay home, get treatment, go see a doctor." But he added, "The government is taking all the steps it needs to and must do to take the precautions to deal with whatever size and scope we may be facing."
    Full story at www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Regardless of what pandemic is or is not sweeping the globe, it just makes sense to avoid spreading contagion and prolonging your own recovery when at all possible. I'd imagine most of us would agree on that.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

OMG!!! You're right!!!

I better go out and buy plenty of guns and ammo and head for the hills!!!

Oh yeah, and I guess I'd better cancel my saturday BBQ plans, dinner at Club33 and the DLH's Grand Ballroom's Buffet Priority Seating arrangements for the Mother's Day w/e! Yikes!

Should I also wear a funny looking rubber suit and wear tin foil on my head???

And yep, hysteria or not, it is always a good thing to take the basic precautions of germ spreading like using the various hand wipes/lotions and washing on a regular basis, like we already do.

But wearing gas masks and avoiding public places, please...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

No. It is hysteria. 20 cases and no deaths. Out of 300,000,000 Americans.

The cable news networks have more important things to do than inject irrational fear into viewers like they are doing right now.

If you don't want to get sick, stay home, don't go to the movies, don't go shopping, don't go to work or school, don't use public transportation, don't hang out with your family or friends, don't go to the doctor, don't touch anything, don't breathe unless you need to, don't live life. Instead, go watch TV and live in fear!

This IS hysteria. Note the following numbers...

20 (possibly 100) people have died in Mexico City due to the swine flu. 0 American deaths yet. And how many Americans die from the regular flu?

About 36,000 Americans die on average per year from the complications of flu.
    CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q & A: The Disease

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    The cable news networks have more important things to do than inject irrational fear into viewers like they are doing right now.

Yeah, aren't there enough suckers that fall for this kind of stuff hook, line and sinker on the internet???

Evidently not...

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast