Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Goodbye live bands in Tommorowland hello DJ's? :(

In regards to the new "Summer Nights" deal that Disney corp. is speaking about, I am sure I am not the only one who is disappointed that live bands will be replaced by "DJ's" I am not sure if any of you have had the displeasure of listening to Radio Disney, it is pretty darn awful (and I must say I have a fairly open mind when it comes to different types of music) The live bands add so much fun and character to the Tommorow Land terrace, I know there will still be few "Select" nights with live Bands but I imagine that it will be far and few between with most nights having DJ's only. Based on my reading of the press releases. Trying to stay positive but it is hard when it comes to this particular entertainment decision. Does anyone have any information or hope in regards to this decision by Disney Corp?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Goodbye live bands in Tommorowland hello DJ's? :(

They're probably under the same impression that 95% of the venues in North America are, the majority of folks (factor in children as this isn't the typical 18 or 21 & older only situation) would be drawn to music they're familiar with. As in what they hear on the radio, etc.

The younger audience members are far more a consideration here than in a normal should-we-book-bands-or-not scenario. The budget availability for it is more than likely an issue to. Plus Radio Disney being brought back into TL is an easy fix, cost effective and part of a broader synergy focus, that includes the upcoming D23 convention in September.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

I really don't like that Disney and Disneyland like to ignore their adult audience. New years two years ago was geared towards tweens and I didn't see any of them around me. But maybe it would be nice to move all those people to one spot in Disneyland so that I can go to rides without it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Peglegin98 View Post
    But maybe it would be nice to move all those people to one spot in Disneyland so that I can go to rides without it.
    You mean like Segregationland?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Where's Push?

A few bands I follow have already mentioned they are scheduled through the summer at Disneyland. Tomasina has her schedule thru summer on her website and Scot Bruce mentioned he is also scheduled through the summer. So it appears the bands may be still on the weekend and the DJ's on the weeknights? Hopefully! Guess we will find out for sure in June.
    Take Care,

Brenda

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The younger audience members are far more a consideration here than in a normal should-we-book-bands-or-not scenario. The budget availability for it is more than likely an issue to. Plus Radio Disney being brought back into TL is an easy fix, cost effective and part of a broader synergy focus, that includes the upcoming D23 convention in September.
    Radio Disney is back in the parks?

This revamp on TLT is something I'm not really looking forward to just because we will be possibly losing some great bands on that stage. I would hate to not see Tomasina or Scot Bruce on that stage anymore just to replace them with a not-as-great dance hall.

Last night, Tomasina did her originals set, and it pulled in a HUGE crowd... Even people who have never heard her before. Almost the entire crowd area was full and everyone was loving it. If they are just doing this just to gear more toward children/tweens then I hope they give a few nights to some of the bands.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

It was never said anywhere that it is specifically Radio Disney that is moving in. They said "a variety of local radio stations." Meaning, you know- several different, non-Disney stations...

I'm still not entirely thrilled about the cutbacks on the live bands, but I'll wait to see it before I (completely) judge it.

It is not being billed as "Radio Disney" but I am pretty darn sure we can expect the same "music selections"
    I honestly could not listen to that station for more then 1 minute if you paid me, I have tried. Really, I have. If you remember the "Club Buzz stage" Dj's that played during the days a few years back before the Jedi show it was horrific. Honestly, it was bad. I cannot imagine it being very different, If they are going to use DJ's during the week and live music on weekends I could understand it a little better since during the week it will be mostly summer camp kids, but weekend being more adults in the mix. But the press release alludes to live bands being there on select occasions not specifically weekends.

• My Favorite Anna

I know my parants loves Instant Replay every time Instant is there my mom and dad gose to see them. There the only band they like and we have become good friends with them.

MY LONG TIME FRIEND THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR 2 YEARS.

• Banned User

I'm excited. It'll be nice to hear something fresh come from the terrace and hopefully it'll bring in more people than the 15-25 casual lingerers an Elvis impersonator can garner.

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

well unless i heard wrong, its only through the summer. lets hope they dont decide to keep it all year!

and they lived happily ever after

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I'm excited. It'll be nice to hear something fresh come from the terrace and hopefully it'll bring in more people than the 15-25 casual lingerers an Elvis impersonator can garner.
    The couple of times that I saw Scot Bruce there were quite a few people watching his show.

• revolutionary waltz

I thought the divide was weekends are live bands and weekdays are DJ's? That seems reasonable to me, but then again I'm not highly aware of the band scheduling throughout the year. What was it like last year?

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

It's STELLAR all the way for me and then Tomasina. I'd hate to see them go!

Get the torches and pitchforks ready! City Hall here we come!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    I thought the divide was weekends are live bands and weekdays are DJ's? That seems reasonable to me, but then again I'm not highly aware of the band scheduling throughout the year. What was it like last year?
    Sounds to me like it'll switch off between live bands and local radio stations on the weekends and just plain DJs on weeknights. Like one weekend will be KISS-FM live from disneyland, the next will be bands, next is KROQ live, next is KPWR, then live bands the following.

That's my guess at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast