Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Disneyland's Electrical Parade "Improvements"

The music is stale, less friendly.

As I stated on the other thread, the music is perfect for Tokyo because they are used to the more modern synthetic sounds. But here at DL there is a more traditional, homely sound to the songs. Old fashoned, but full of heart. The new music is the complete opposite which will kill the entire heart of the show.

Bad, bad choice. Shame on you all execs! And with Remember gone it is kinda like killing the song for good unfortunately.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• All? NO, ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM View Post
    Well, as a longtime fan of the Electrical Parade, I have a few concerns about Denny's history on the parade's music and etc. Wasn't the musical updates for the parade in 1977 and 1985 by Don Dorsey?
    Yeah, that irked me as well. Disney doesn't even get their own facts right. A majority of the parade has changed since 1972. The 1972 soundtrack was little more than Jean-Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley's original version overlayed with Disney songs. The Don Dorsey version was a similar, improved new arrangement. Also, the 1972 version of the parade was largely made up of flat floats. The 1977 replaced all the flat floats with the current three-dimensional ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    As I stated on the other thread, the music is perfect for Tokyo because they are used to the more modern synthetic sounds. But here at DL there is a more traditional, homely sound to the songs. Old fashoned, but full of heart. The new music is the complete opposite which will kill the entire heart of the show.
    Not to mention that Tokyo's floats are more modern as well, as the parade was brand new in 2001. It's a completely different parade. I still can't really imagine seeing the old, 1977 version marching along to the Tokyo version. I don't really want to for that matter, but as stubborn as I sound I'll probably see it once to see the old floats returned. I actually really don't have a problem with them updating the parade itself, it's just the music I wish they wouldn't touch. That's always been the best part of the parade. Now the music is going to be the worst part of the parade.
    Last edited by Evan; 04-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.

The Electrical Parade is still going to be at DCA, at least for this summer.

• Use your imagination...

Id rather have them kill DEP as it is entirely and replace it with a 2009 version of Dreamlights or Spectro. It looks SO old compared to the other electric light parades disney has running. I hate the thought of keeping something JUST for the sake of nostalgia.

I'm not the only person in the boat that thinks the DEP just needs to glow away.... for real this time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DL2006 View Post
    Id rather have them kill DEP as it is entirely and replace it with a 2009 version of Dreamlights or Spectro. It looks SO old compared to the other electric light parades disney has running. I hate the thought of keeping something JUST for the sake of nostalgia.

I'm not the only person in the boat that thinks the DEP just needs to glow away.... for real this time.
    Part of me definitely agrees, DEP had a massive run, has a great nostalgic feeling, but is SO dated. I'd rather them completely do a new nighttime parade than recycle this. Improving the music, bringing in old floats and making new ones, adding effects, etc. - that's all great and dandy, but it's still the DEP and still boring.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I actually really don't have a problem with them updating the parade itself, it's just the music I wish they wouldn't touch. That's always been the best part of the parade. Now the music is going to be the worst part of the parade.
    That's TDA, brilliant to the last. The MSEP wasn't broken, so they fixed it -- by shutting it down "forever" and replacing it with Light Magic. Then "forever" turned out to be "until we need something to fix DCA," which was broken. So they revived MSEP as DEP. Of course, since the music wasn't broken, they fixed it -- by replacing the beloved DL track with Tokyo's.

Since these guys obviously have so much time and money on their hands, why don't they do something useful like fixing the monorails -- and stop screwing around with the stuff that works!
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-28-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Well this may not be the extent of the new music. This looks like its just a preview. Perhaps they just took the TDL version for the promo video? Who knows? Anyways, no matter what the music is so annoying, then again I listened to it every night for two summers haha.
    Jeff Wayne

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    That's TDA, brilliant to the last. The MSEP wasn't broken, so they fixed it -- by shutting it down "forever" and replacing it with Light Magic. Then "forever" turned out to be "until we need something to fix DCA," which was broken. So they revived MSEP as DEP. Of course, since the music wasn't broken, they fixed it -- by replacing the beloved DL track with Tokyo's.

Since these guys obviously have so much time and money on their hands, why don't they do something useful like fixing the monorails -- and stop screwing around with the stuff that works!
    Couldn't have said it any better. I want to so love this parade when it returns, but I am fearful. They took away one of my favorite parts of the parade (the Dumbo/Circus train), and are "revamping" the soundtrack. I love the soundtrack, and it shouldn't have been touched IMHO. Guess we'll have to see in June.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Aww, man, I love the old soundtrack. I really hope they change their minds about using the Tokyo version.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Koubu Pilot

It's probably best to talk through your first impressions, then save your final judgment after its debut and the kinks (if any) are worked out. We still have yet to see the actual final product. There has been no mention if they updated the other music in the parade. The could easily transplant Alice, Snow White, Cinderella, Peter Pan, and Pete's Dragon's music, but Pinocchio has no music from Dreamlights since Pinocchio, Jimminy, and Gephetto appear in the small world finale. Dumbo's Circus was rumored to be retired, but it hasn't been confirmed in any form or manner. If Dumbo stays, there's no Dreamlights equivalent unless they decide to somehow bring in Bug's Life or transform the circus floats in PT Flea's Circus. Japan doesn't honor America either.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

The music I was able to hear in this "preview" sounded fine to me. If anything it does sound like they said - fuller and richer.

...Joe...

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM View Post
    Well, as a longtime fan of the Electrical Parade, I have a few concerns about Denny's history on the parade's music and etc. Wasn't the musical updates for the parade in 1977 and 1985 by Don Dorsey?. For some reason, Denny mentioned that no major changes to the music since 1972 and plus the Cheshire Cat was added in 1985. I wish there was someway I could correct him on that.
    It wouldn't be the first time a senior Disney official got his facts wrong.

I've always loved seeing Dreamlights at TDL, the difference is NOT that staggering, I am excited!

Wow. Because of this thread I went and found a video on youtube of the last night of the Electrical Parade at Disneyland. I was 15 that year and loved the parade, saw it every night I was there, even if I was just running through the dark weaving through people.

And from the very beginning synthesizer sounds and the announcement - I started crying! And laughing! A kind of cry-laughing! I loved that parade so, so much, and I never saw it when it came back to DC, so I'm really a mixed bag about seeing this new version. Of course I"m going to see it and I'm going to love it. But, those synth strains from my childhood, man, that was powerful stuff, and every bit of that parade was important to me. It will be weird seeing in a different venue, with "improvements." But I'll still see it. And what am I going to do? IT'S THE MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE!

That's all I have to say about it.

P.S. Did anyone catch the on topic pirating comment from the guy on right in the vid?

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    As I stated on the other thread, the music is perfect for Tokyo because they are used to the more modern synthetic sounds.
    No offense, but what in the heck does this mean? Are you implying that there's some sort of cultural reason that should keep them from using the Dreamlights soundtrack? I don't get how the Japanese are any more "used to" modern synthesizers than we are. Have you listened to pop music lately? It's nothing but europop-influeced synths and electronically-altered vocals. If anything, we're more than "ready" to listen to something like Dreamlights. The fact that many people right on this board couldn't even tell the difference upon first hearing it should say something.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast