Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Disneyland's Electrical Parade "Improvements"

^

Japan culturally has become extremely modern, especially when it comes to music and electronic tastes. The Japanese enjoy lots of music with synthetic feel and so it works well with Tokyo Disneyland simply because its popular right now. The Japanese audience is partial to this, and so its only granted that its used inside the parks.

While I grant that America is also into synth in music and electronic tastes, it is not as extreme and high end as in Japan, though our pop music influenced theirs, it still took on its own form and shape in this decade. It's something our American audiences aren't very used to. So our taste is more traditional to our pop and synth music.

The difference in cultures also involves a difference in parks, while Japan is adding some more of that modern feel into its parks because it is that popular, the American parks are staying more traditional and only uses modern music in limiting ways suiting our tastes, like Miley Cyrus and the new music from Ms.Menzel. You will not go into new years eve rocking out to Japanese style synth pop, you will rock out to our more traditional styles of music, some with some synth but not used in the same style of the Japanese.

American's just aren't used to the feel of the synth that is used in Dreamlights, the traditional music just feels friendlier to our audiences. Just like how the Dreamlights music must feel friendlier to the Japanese.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Use your imagination...

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    ^
    American's just aren't used to the feel of the synth that is used in Dreamlights, the traditional music just feels friendlier to our audiences. Just like how the Dreamlights music must feel friendlier to the Japanese.
    I guess this statement will be tested very soon.

I for one think that the general public will either like it or not notice it. For the most part the general public has loved changes to things like Small World and TSI so I don't see how this will be any different.

• Yo!

I'm sorry, but that statement has absolutely no proof behind it whatsoever. I was agreeing with your analysis of Japanese & American tastes until that point. How in the world is the Dreamlights synth so dramatically different than the old Moog stuff that Americans "aren't used to it"? And the traditional music feels "friendlier"? Please....let me know when people write complaints to TDA about the "mean electrical parade music" and then we'll talk. This is approaching the ridiculousness of when people said they'd be "insulted" if they got wet during PPP.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Minion

Personally, I think the standard Electrical Parade music is perfect, and I wouldn't have touched it (other than adding new music for a new float, or adding new sound effects for a new character, but not changing what was already there.)

[SPECULATION]
    This sounds to me like the Entertainment people had a shoestring budget, but had to look like they were doing something to prove their "usefulness" in order to protect their jobs in this economy, and so grabbed the Tokyo music to pass it off as something new while not actually spending to create something new... when in this particular case, they didn't need a new soundtrack to begin with.[/SPECULATION]
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I like the new music!

• Banned User

^

Japan culturally has become extremely modern, especially when it comes to music and electronic tastes. The Japanese enjoy lots of music with synthetic feel and so it works well with Tokyo Disneyland simply because its popular right now. The Japanese audience is partial to this, and so its only granted that its used inside the parks.

While I grant that America is also into synth in music and electronic tastes, it is not as extreme and high end as in Japan, though our pop music influenced theirs, it still took on its own form and shape in this decade. It's something our American audiences aren't very used to. So our taste is more traditional to our pop and synth music.

The difference in cultures also involves a difference in parks, while Japan is adding some more of that modern feel into its parks because it is that popular, the American parks are staying more traditional and only uses modern music in limiting ways suiting our tastes, like Miley Cyrus and the new music from Ms.Menzel. You will not go into new years eve rocking out to Japanese style synth pop, you will rock out to our more traditional styles of music, some with some synth but not used in the same style of the Japanese.

I don't think this statement has any merit, to be honest, and is quite ridiculous.

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    [SPECULATION]
    This sounds to me like the Entertainment people had a shoestring budget, but had to look like they were doing something to prove their "usefulness" in order to protect their jobs in this economy, and so grabbed the Tokyo music to pass it off as something new while not actually spending to create something new... when in this particular case, they didn't need a new soundtrack to begin with.[/SPECULATION]
    I'm not so sure that's the case. They'd actually have to spend quite a bit on a new soundtrack. At the very least they'd have to create a new soundtrack for the Pinocchio, Dumbo, and To Honor America units as they don't exist over in Tokyo. If they aren't using the orchestral portions from Dreamlights, then they'd have to create new/modified soundtracks for Cinderella and Pete's Dragon as well. It definitely isn't just a simple cut-and-paste like tcsnwhite already mentioned.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Add me to the list who can hear no difference....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Add me to the list who can hear no difference....
    I'm on the list of I hear it, and I don't like it at ALL.

I always get a shiver of anticipation when I hear the DEP music. Even when they do the short snippet during RDCT it makes me so happy.

I'm still going to go, and I'm sure I'll still be happy just to be seeing the parade (I haven't seen it in YEARS), but their will be some disappointment there.

I think everyone needs to wait and SEE the dang thing before you go and speculate and pull assumptions but what you heard on a video and a presentation. The soundtrack is from Tokyo dream lights, but guess what? We have floats that Tokyo DOES NOT have. So actually majority of the parade is going to be new soundtrack. Some parts like the cinderella scene, opening scene, and alice scene are gonna be from Tokyo no doubt probably. But units like the America float, or the pinnochio floats etc, Tokyo doesn't have those. And judging the parade by the music is just plain ridiculous in MY humble opinion. Go see it and stop whining about what you THINK its going to be. Go see it and if you like it, great! If not, then go ride something, that simple. /end rant

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post
    And judging the parade by the music is just plain ridiculous in MY humble opinion. Go see it and stop whining about what you THINK its going to be. Go see it and if you like it, great! If not, then go ride something, that simple. /end rant
    You cannot possibly be trying to say that the music of the DEP is not completely linked with the parade itself. If you play the opening chords of baroque hoedown, the majority of people's instant response is Main Street Electrical Parade. Hearing those first few strains always let me know that I was about to experience one of my favorite things in the show.

I've heard the opening and I don't like it. I give things a chance, I was apprehensive about the "plussing" that was being done to IASW's music, but I actually really like the addition. This however I definitely don't like and the MSEP has too many memories for me not to be upset when they screw with it.

^I'm saying this in a nice way, promise. But, Electrical parade is one of those things that everyone has to accept the fact that it is going to change periodically. It always always always has. Not music obviously but floats, characters here and there, it's just going to happen. Am I happy with them changing the music? Absolutely not. Is it going to keep me from watching the most classic parade in the world, absolutely not. I'm not a fan they took away the circus section either since that was my favorite area of the parade ever! I'm still going to go watch the parade new music, more or less floats or not. Electrical parade is one of those changing permanent parades. We just have to accept that, yes people won't like it, and people will like it, it's life of Disney entertainment.

• Yo!

I know I mentioned this already in the other thread, but the Dumbo unit isn't going anywhere. It's staying in the parade.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Minion

I like it. I like it a lot.

EDIT: I don't understand what's not to like. It's practically the same harmonies and as before just with fuller sounds. If anything, parts of the arrangement are more present in this recording then the original moog recording. I just fail to see how this could be a bad decision beyond people liking it or not.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 04-28-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Actually contribute to the conversation

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    I know I mentioned this already in the other thread, but the Dumbo unit isn't going anywhere. It's staying in the parade.
    I don't know where you heard that from but I heard from cast members that work the parade say that it's not coming back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast