Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Disneyland's Electrical Parade "Improvements"

As you all probably know, Disney has unveiled the Summer planned enhancements for attractions and entertainment this year. And, they all sound amazing. I, for one, plan on being there the 12th to experience them all first hand. However, I just heard part of the new Electrical Parade music medley and am disappointed with the changes. Sure, they kept the "Baroque Hoedown" and "Fanfare" entrance, and the entire piece is still electro-synthamagnetic, but the changes to the harmonies and new electric guitar parts are kind of a let down after listening to the original 1972 track for so many years. I'm going to hold judgement until I can see the entire show in person in June. I may be pleasantly surprised.

Here's the link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASzbUF6Zuo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - DCA Main Street Electrical Parade Preview 2009[/ame]

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic for my childhood. Take a listen, and let me know what you think.

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland's Electrical Parade "Improvements"

I really dont hear the difference, maybe slightly but sounds pretty much the same to me.

It certainly didn't change as much as I thought it would... just slightly, which is good.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Maybe someone could answer this relatively quickly for me, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the videos or press releases, is the electrical parade staying at DCA or is it coming back to Disneyland?

• All? NO, ALL!

The audio is directly from Tokyo Disneyland's Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade: DreamLights!, which, while looks like an amazing parade, the music isn't that great. (Disney doesn't seem to make any mention whatsoever of the music coming from Tokyo's parade, probably so they can pass it off as "new" when that soundtrack itself is already 8 years old).

DreamLights is a WAY updated version of the parade, but it looks like DEP's largely going to be the same parade, albeit with a new float, some old ones brought back, and a few minor upgrades here and there, but still largely the same 1977 version of the parade. I don't see why that constituted changing the music to Tokyo's version, which isn't so much "electrosynthemagnetic" as it is orchestrated (their intro doesn't even use the term "electrosynthemagnetic musical sounds", but "brilliant musical sounds", with "brilliant" being a bit of an overstatement IMHO), when the parade itself isn't really going to be too much different.

It's sad, because the Electrical Parade's soundtrack is by far one of the best soundtracks to come out of the Disney parks, and they're replacing it with a lame, lifeless version. I hope they wind up changing their minds and use the classic Don Dorsey arrangement again like they had since 1977 'til now. They won't, though.

Obviously, it won't be exactly the same as Tokyo's version, as they'll have to cut segments that have no equivalent in the American version, while adding segments that the Tokyo version doesn't, such as the Bicentennial "To Honor America" finale float.

I'm not really looking forward to the parade all that much anymore now.

• in the Golden Afternoon

The Electrical Parade is my favorite entertainment at the park, so I'm glad the music is only changing a little bit and not drastically, however I dont think I will be a big fan of the new music. But I cant wait to see it again! :]

• DCA FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Maybe someone could answer this relatively quickly for me, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the videos or press releases, is the electrical parade staying at DCA or is it coming back to Disneyland?
    It's staying at DCA.

Oh and in regards to the sound track the video posted above states that they just enhanced it to give a fuller sound using new "technology".
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Monorail Junkie

Hello Light Magic Electrical Parade. WOW, talk about screwing up a good thing.

• Monorail Junkie

I have heard that it is coming back to Main Street USA.

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

i havent heard anything about it coming back to Main Street. I'd kind of rather it stay at DCA, theres already so much at DL!

and they lived happily ever after

• (Not a) New User

If we're getting new music, does that mean a new intro voice too?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

OHhhhh Ahhhhh!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Its about time they changed the music!! In MY opinion they should have done this a LONG time ago.

• All? NO, ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    It's staying at DCA.

Oh and in regards to the sound track the video posted above states that they just enhanced it to give a fuller sound using new "technology".
    Ha! What an outright lie on Disney's part. It's not new. And it's definitely not enhanced, it's an entirely different recording.

• Banned User

Sad Re: Disneyland's Electrical Parade "Improvements"

Well, as a longtime fan of the Electrical Parade, I have a few concerns about Denny's history on the parade's music and etc. Wasn't the musical updates for the parade in 1977 and 1985 by Don Dorsey?. For some reason, Denny mentioned that no major changes to the music since 1972 and plus the Cheshire Cat was added in 1985. I wish there was someway I could correct him on that.

Now, the "new" soundtrack is definitely, TDL Electrical Parade Dreamlights as I own the CD with that and Tokyo DL's original EP. I, like all of you, am so used to hearing the Don Dorsey/Jim Christensen/Paul Beaver soundtrack so I will have reservations about this. To me, this is like what they did to the opening theme to The Price Is Right after Drew Carey became host. Either way, I hope they release a CD of the "new" soundtrack when the Parade returns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast