Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Now that the 50th is long gone, is Disney back in the Pressler era?

Am I the only one who feels that the bringing in of Matt Ouimet and the massive improvements to the parks were just one element of an elaborate marketing scheme for the 50th in 2005? The whole world was looking at Anahiem that year, and the Mouse wanted the park to sparkle and they would spend no expense to make sure they had a pristine image during that time.

It just feels that now that the world's eyes are turned away from Disneyland following the 50th Anniversary that the park and Disney has lapsed back into the Pressler era of riding the attractions until they fail and otherwise neglecting the park in the same way it was prior to Ouimet coming in and fixing it up for the big birthday bash.

Just look at all of the unkempt parts of the park. It's not until Darkbeer posts pictures of neglect that Disney bothers to fix it. I was on Buzz a couple weeks ago and the entire dividing wall between the queue and loading area is vandalized with paint scraped off. If this were the 50th and TV cameras were everywhere in the park, that sort of thing wouldn't last five seconds. These days, Disney just doesn't care because they think people aren't paying attention anymore.

That was just one example. Go into the park today and you could probably come out with a long list of "bad show" due to neglect and vandalism that Disney just doesn't want to fix because, frankly, they aren't getting the same attention they did four years ago. It won't be long and we'll be right back to 2003 where people are dying on rides and attractions.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Now that the 50th is long gone, is Disney back in the Pressler era?

You are absolutely correct, just look at how poorly maintained Space Mountain is. They haven't painted or throughly cleaned anything since the grand re opening. The strobe lighting on the actual mountain doesn't even work properly anymore.

• Lowering Expectations

It's hard to complain about neglect when there are so many small refreshing projects going on. Frontierland, Tomorrowland and Main Street all had large sections of their paths and streets repaved recently; there are the current Astro Orbitor and Cosmic Waves refurbishments which will reportedly return with fresh color schemes; Summer Nightastic plusses many of the Resort's major shows; even the rusted stairs at the Downtown Disney monorail station got repaired in a timely manner after Darkbeer photographed it.

There are definitely parts of the park that badly need some cleaning and sprucing up, and Space Mountain is one of them, Indy another. But you kind of have to choose your battles. Space, for instance, is among the most popular E-tickets in the whole resort, and there are already two TLC projects happening in Tomorrowland, so it wouldn't make sense to do anything intrusive enough to cause it to close.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    It's hard to complain about neglect when there are so many small refreshing projects going on. Frontierland, Tomorrowland and Main Street all had large sections of their paths and streets repaved recently; there are the current Astro Orbitor and Cosmic Waves refurbishments which will reportedly return with fresh color schemes; Summer Nightastic plusses many of the Resort's major shows; even the rusted stairs at the Downtown Disney monorail station got repaired in a timely manner after Darkbeer photographed it.

There are definitely parts of the park that badly need some cleaning and sprucing up, and Space Mountain is one of them, Indy another. But you kind of have to choose your battles. Space, for instance, is among the most popular E-tickets in the whole resort, and there are already two TLC projects happening in Tomorrowland, so it wouldn't make sense to do anything intrusive enough to cause it to close.
    Space Mountain doesn't need to close though, just half the queue. They have plenty of room to refurbish it section by section. The spaceship in the queue is filthy.

• Banned User

Its true i would say. i see a lot of vandalism, on Pooh there is one carved in wood!!!

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The spaceship in the queue is filthy.
    Yes, but how do you clean a structure that's suspended high up directly over the loading station while keeping the attraction running? Can it be done at night? How would you even get up there?

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Yes, but how do you clean a structure that's suspended high up directly over the loading station while keeping the attraction running? Can it be done at night? How would you even get up there?
    You stretch a huge tarp underneath it so nothing drips down and climb on top, it's not hard. They could do this little by little each night.

• Senior Minion

I don't think maintenance has slipped that much, and as 2DieFR sais they are doing a lot of good things in this regard. I remember coming to the park in '98 or '99 when I hadn't been in a few years and was shocked how bad the maintenance was. I hadn't been in years, was not looking for anything, and noticed many problems. Right now I really think you have to be looking for things to really notice them. Not that there aren't things that should be maintained faster or better, but I think they've got a system now that seems to keep most things basically up to standards.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    You stretch a huge tarp underneath it so nothing drips down and climb on top, it's not hard. They could do this little by little each night.

But then one could argue the following:
    1. Would said tarp remain during normal park hours?
    2. If so, we would see threads started about how awful the tarp looks and "Why don't the just close the entire ride down and fix what neds to be fixed?"

IMO a double edged sword
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Lowering Expectations

Cleaning up the insides of Space sounds like a short 5-14 day refurbishment (sort of like the uber-short Pirates closure that's going on right now), which could reasonably be scheduled in early January.

There's no excuse for the exterior of Space, however. The white sloping roof needs a cleanup every 6-8 months or so, and the strobe lighting needs to be un-doofus'd.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I don't think maintenance has slipped that much, and as 2DieFR sais they are doing a lot of good things in this regard. I remember coming to the park in '98 or '99 when I hadn't been in a few years and was shocked how bad the maintenance was. I hadn't been in years, was not looking for anything, and noticed many problems. Right now I really think you have to be looking for things to really notice them. Not that there aren't things that should be maintained faster or better, but I think they've got a system now that seems to keep most things basically up to standards.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I really don't think it's the same as Pressler's time.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Indeed, they do need to keep up the refurb/maintenance schedule. But to play Devil's Advocate here, of course they spiffed things up for the 50th. That's like saying you don't give your house an extra-through cleaning and polishing and possibly a bit more before you host a special party or celebration for all of your family and friends. Sure you do, as does everyone else, and even Disney.

Part of the problem is that there are more and more guests who will do something stupid, illegal and obnoxious like carve their initials into walls and other things.

But I do agree...there are a lot of things that are obviously in need of help and I hope Disney gets to them sooner rather than later.

• Disney is home

white sloping roof needs a cleanup every 6-8 months or so, and the strobe lighting needs to be un-doofus'd.
    They actually are currently in the process of doing this. I'm not sure when they do this, but they have been washing.

• Senior Minion

Although improved from the Dark Ages of just before the 50th, Disneyland's maintenance is still far below pre-Pressler standards.

Isn't it funny, though, how TDA can't keep up with maintenance... but is Johnny-on-the-spot with promotional campaigns that bring in even more people to hammer the infastructure? Funny how they have plenty of money for million dollar Dream Suites but never enough for maintenance. Funny how they charge their guests ever-higher prices and pay their employees bottom of the barrel wages, but can't afford to keep Disneyland in the excellent condition it was pre-Pressler.

On second thought, it's not funny at all.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-29-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Gumball Rally Godfather

It's true, the Park doesn't shine like it did in the Spring of 2005. But with a soft economy, it's not unusual for all businesses to cut back on some non-essential maintenance to keep the cashflow available. Plus, I think we got kinda spoiled, expecting the Walt Disney Company to maintain the Park the way that Walt did.

Nevertheless, I've always been a believer in Walt's theory that "If they maintain it, the guests will come". However, with Disney now catering so heavily to SoCal residents with pay-as-you-go AP's, where is the incentive for Disney to spend? Their only obligation once you've signed on is to let you in the front gate. And it's a little hard to vote with your wallet when you're contractually obligated to give them money every month.

Over and above all of that is the fact that WDW has a 40th anniversary coming up in a 1 1/2 years and they need some MAJOR lovin' out there. So I wouldn't look for a major maintenance cash infusion at Disneyland for some time.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast