Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

New PeopleMover Station/Astro-Orbitor Tower...Old Tower Comes Tum Tum Tumblin' Down!

Disneyland

A new ride to replace the PeopleMover and Rocket Rods has been being bandied about for some time. According to a current rumor, the wait is almost over. Following the completion of StarTours 2.0 (that begins in 2010), the old Rocket Jet Tower will be torn down (hopefully disentigrated) ..and a new one erected.

The new tower would provide housing for a loading/unloading station dock for a next-generation PeopleMover, as well as an elevator and base unit that would allow the Astro Orbitor to be mounted toward the top. The long-anticipated PM and sky high Astro Orbitor should be completed and open sometime between 2011 and 2012.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Lowering Expectations

Re: New PeopleMover Station/Astro-Orbitor Tower...Old Tower Comes Tum Tum Tumblin' Do

I take everything coming from Screamscape with a grain of salt the size of the granite ball in the center of Cosmic Waves.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: New PeopleMover Station/Astro-Orbitor Tower...Old Tower Comes Tum Tum Tumblin' Do

Um, excuse me- but where the heck does it say anything about that, on Screamscape? I don't see it...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    I take everything coming from Screamscape with a grain of salt the size of the granite ball in the center of Cosmic Waves.
    Great! I need some salt for my popcorn. I saved a bag for you, 2DieFR. The rumor is supported by Al. So get yourself a "croissant slathered in preserves" and read what he has to say on the subject -

MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

The above link is to Al Lutz's 3/3 column titled Star Detours. His affirmation of the new tower for the Astro Orbitor is contained in the exerpts below (the last two paragraphs of the section by the same title, Star Detours) -

"As part of the plan to debut a new Star Tours in 2010 that included updates to the attraction façade, the entrance to Tomorrowland was supposed to get an update as well. The AstroOrbiter was planned to be repainted in a new silver and blue color scheme, and the entrance to the land was going to be opened up and rethemed a bit. The refurbishment and new paint for the AstroOrbiter is still budgeted and planned for later in 2009, as the mechanical structure needs maintenance and new parts to allow the revolving planets to spin again. But that new paint job and refurbishment was really supposed to tie in with the dramatically redone Star Tours 2.0 next door.

Still, it's the last bit of the 1998 New Tomorrowland that has yet to be redone, so it's needed regardless of what is to become of Star Tours. And yes, once DCA proves itself and Tony Baxter gets the green-light for his big budget retheme of Tomorrowland, the Astro Orbiter will return to its rightful place atop the PeopleMover station. But the paint job and mechanical refurbishment is still needed in the meantime."

First off, Screamscape has a pretty good track record of credible information. In line with Al's thoughts above, Lance Hart's rumor report of a new pm/astro orbitor tower being built following the opening of StarTours 2.0 seems all the more likely.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-30-2009 at 08:37 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Great! I need some salt for my popcorn. I saved a bag for you, 2DieFR. The rumor is supported by Al. So get yourself acroissant slathered in preserves and read what he has to say on the subject -

MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

The above link is to Al Lutz's 3/3 column titled Star Detours. His affirmation of the new tower for the Astro Orbitor is contained in the exerpts below (the last two paragraphs of the section by the same title, Star Detours) -

"As part of the plan to debut a new Star Tours in 2010 that included updates to the attraction façade, the entrance to Tomorrowland was supposed to get an update as well. The AstroOrbiter was planned to be repainted in a new silver and blue color scheme, and the entrance to the land was going to be opened up and rethemed a bit. The refurbishment and new paint for the AstroOrbiter is still budgeted and planned for later in 2009, as the mechanical structure needs maintenance and new parts to allow the revolving planets to spin again. But that new paint job and refurbishment was really supposed to tie in with the dramatically redone Star Tours 2.0 next door.

Still, it's the last bit of the 1998 New Tomorrowland that has yet to be redone, so it's needed regardless of what is to become of Star Tours. And yes, once DCA proves itself and Tony Baxter gets the green-light for his big budget retheme of Tomorrowland, the Astro Orbiter will return to its rightful place atop the PeopleMover station. But the paint job and mechanical refurbishment is still needed in the meantime."

First off, Screamscape has a pretty good track record of credible information. In line with Al's thoughts above, Lance Hart's rumor report of a new pm/astro orbitor tower being built following the opening of StarTours 2.0 seem all the more likely.
    So in actuality, this post is nothing we don't already know?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Um, excuse me- but where the heck does it say anything about that, on Screamscape? I don't see it...
    After clicking on the link provided in my initial thread post, you will need to scroll quite a ways down to the second to last section, which is titled, 2011/2012 - PeopleMover v# / Tomorrowland 2010. If you scroll to "Matterhorn w/ New Cars", you have gone too far.

• DL Obsessed

Sounds awesome.
    I've only been a member for a few months now so i havent really been in the loop for too long. It seems like they are making a lot of really good strides. Is this normal or are they getting better?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    So in actuality, this post is nothing we don't already know?
    Actually brenden, Al didn't mention the rumor that the new tower would house a new PeopleMover station - and that the next-generation PM would be a part of the plans. Nor did Al mention the 2011-2012 projected completion of the tower, the PM staton, the PeopleMover itself ..and the placing of the Astro Orbitor atop the tower specifically within a timeline.

Anywho, several people have vigorously argued with me in various threads to the contrary of what Al has said. It beared repeating.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-30-2009 at 08:41 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey114 View Post
    Sounds awesome.
    I've only been a member for a few months now so i havent really been in the loop for too long. It seems like they are making a lot of really good strides. Is this normal or are they getting better?
    We are extremely fortunate Lukey, that the corporate suits in Glendale are making quality new attractions for the disneyland Resort priority one ..over all other resorts, stateside and abroad. These progressive strides we are witnessing represent unparalelled investment for Disneland Resort that hasn't existed since the days when Walt created the maiden park.

As I haven't said it yet, welcome to MiceChat, Lukey!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-30-2009 at 08:42 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Finally some strides for California. The Castle in the pictures on disneyland.com isnt even Disneyland's Castle! People ask me why I like Cali better then Florida... Pfft

that's great. looks awesome....thanks for the info...
    my heart is yours

• Senior Minion

I very much hope this happens. It's something that I've been saying they should do for a while. I've always felt an entire new tower was in order considering that that would allow a bigger station for the new PM and a base for the AO to go where it belongs, and make everything meet current codes. I'm just still a little skeptical, but I do think it would be the smart thing to do, so maybe WDI will be able to convince TDA it's worth it. I think it would be smart if they just go ahead and take care of this before Cars Land opens and the whole resort gets really busy. They could really use the capacity of something on the PM tracks in 2012.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• DL Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    We are extremely fortunate Lukey, that the corporate suits in Glendale are making quality new attractions for the disneyland Resort priority one ..over all other resorts, stateside and abroad. This progressive strides we are witnessing represent unparalelled investment for Disneland Resort that hasn't existed since the days when Walt created the maiden park.

As I haven't said it yet, welcome to MiceChat, Lukey!

That is what i think that Disneyland is missing nowadays. Someone to actually take the innitiative and DO stuff with Disneyland. Walt would replace rides after 1 year or 2 just because he felt it fit. I dont beleive he would have allowed a lot of the stuff thats going in to do so if he still had a hand in the park, or even if someone nearly like him were in control.

I mean think about this, from 1955-1966, the first monorail came to the US, First steel rollercoaster, audio animitronics.. many things that he did were invented by the team in order to do it. I would really like to see some of that passion now.

Also, kind of off topic, but i wonder why it takes 4 years to do what they could do before in 4 months. How long did it take them to build something like the matterhorn? compared to what it would take now?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Remind me when this rumor is more concrete... I don't want to start getting excited too early.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Remind me when this rumor is more concrete... I don't want to start getting excited too early.
    I know, right? I'll be one sad puppy when 2012 rolls around and I don't see half of these rumors come true. I try to stay critical/skeptical until something official is said. Nevertheless, this would be amazing and is definitely needed to restore Tomorrowland to its former glory.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast