Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1

    • Honorary Dapper Dan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    274

    Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    So unless I'm incredibly dense and missed something, we haven't heard anything yet about what (if anything) will replace the maliboomer when it comes down. So, I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good way to fill that space. Should it be an attraction? A character meet-n-greet? ANOTHER restaurant on the pier? Thoughts?

    There isn't a lot of space there, but I don't think Disney would leave it empty. I think a Pixar meet-n-greet would be completely plausible.
    "I can stand the sight of worms,
    and look at microscopic germs,
    but technicolor pachyderms
    are really too much for me."

  2. #2

    • Done waiting!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    943

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Either a meet n greet or nothing. Grass and benches. Someday it could be the queue to a ride behind CA Screamin but that's way out there.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.


    By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

  3. #3

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    If they got really creative with space usage, there'd be room for a moderate-sized dark ride in there. They'd probably have to give it two floors, and have the second floor extend out over the adjacent backstage service road, underneath Screamin'. Tricky? Yes. Worth it? Totally, if proper care is taken to ensure it is a top-notch entertainment experience.


  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So Cal, 25 minutes from DL
    Posts
    141

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    If they got really creative with space usage, there'd be room for a moderate-sized dark ride in there. They'd probably have to give it two floors, and have the second floor extend out over the adjacent backstage service road, underneath Screamin'. Tricky? Yes. Worth it? Totally, if proper care is taken to ensure it is a top-notch entertainment experience.
    they would have to be ULTRA conservative with the space there.

  5. #5

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Certainly...but that's usually the case with this resort. There's just not that much space anywhere. Yet marvelous things can happen. With a little ingenuity, there'd easily be enough room for a Fantasyland-dark-ride-sized attraction...provided it's possible to continue the building underneath Screamin' and over the road a little. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that'd work.


  6. #6

    • Go DCA, Go! :D
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    407

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    I think I like benches an trees better than the Maliboomer. LOL

  7. #7

    • YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,386

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    I say keep it, but re-theme it as a "slingshot to the moon" type ride and give it that victorian era feel that we're all going crazy over. But then again, taking it out and putting in something better is always appreciated


    SUPPORT THE CMs


    For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

  8. #8

    • The Dudester
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    385

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    I actually like Maliboomer, but won't lose too much sleep if it goes away.

    As for what to put in its place... That's a tough one. I don't really like the parachute drop idea, personally.


    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    If they got really creative with space usage, there'd be room for a moderate-sized dark ride in there. They'd probably have to give it two floors, and have the second floor extend out over the adjacent backstage service road, underneath Screamin'. Tricky? Yes. Worth it? Totally, if proper care is taken to ensure it is a top-notch entertainment experience.
    Now THERE'S an idea I can get behind! That would be great! Will I hold my breathe for something like this to happen? Not really. It sounds tricky, as Data said. In an ideal world I would love it. I don't know all the ins and outs of what would be required to make this happen (in terms of building over the service road, shoe-horning it in that location, etc.). But if it did happen, I would be very pleasantly surprised!

    Now a question posed to everyone (especially Data since it was his idea): what theme would you like to see in a hypothetical dark ride located in Maliboomer's current spot? A Disney film like Fantasyland's dark rides? Something else entirely? This would be very interesting to have in Paradise Pier.

  9. #9

    • Honorary Dapper Dan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    274

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    I would LOVE to see a dark ride there. A two-story would be even better. Disney has a knack for being able to fit attractions in incredibly small spaces, to I'm sure they'd be able to accomplish it. Just as long as they plan things out well and don't end up ending it abruptly (*cough*snowwhitesscaryadventure*cough*).
    "I can stand the sight of worms,
    and look at microscopic germs,
    but technicolor pachyderms
    are really too much for me."

  10. #10

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    I say keep it, but re-theme it as a "slingshot to the moon" type ride and give it that victorian era feel that we're all going crazy over. But then again, taking it out and putting in something better is always appreciated
    I'm no expert on early-20th-century piers, but I don't think it's possible for such a thoroughly modern attraction to look Victorian...maybe if a completely new one were built, but certainly not just by dressing up the existing off-the-shelf attraction.

    Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    Now a question posed to everyone (especially Data since it was his idea): what theme would you like to see in a hypothetical dark ride located in Maliboomer's current spot? A Disney film like Fantasyland's dark rides? Something else entirely? This would be very interesting to have in Paradise Pier.
    That's the part where I kinda throw my hands up in the air and say, "I dunno," unfortunately. Paradise Pier is quite a conundrum...in order for its rides to be thematically appropriate, they basically need to resemble rides on old boardwalks. In the case of a dark ride, that basically means it needs to look cheap, cheap, cheap. Like a Fantasyland dark ride, but much lower quality. Do a higher level of quality, and you end up out of theme, because part of what a seaside amusement park is is cheap, minimally-themed rides. For obvious reasons, that's not something I'm particularly happy about, and nothing in Paradise Pier is ever going to be able to 100% satisfy me because you either get quality or you get thematic appropriateness.

    Of the two, I'd probably take quality, as Disney seems to be doing with TLM, in which case I suppose I'd advocate something with vintage Disney characters. They've never really gotten a dark ride of their own. If Paradise Pier is becoming the let's-just-throw-in-some-Disney-characters-in-a-non-Disney-environment land, may as well be consistent and do a high-quality dark ride featuring them.


  11. #11

    • YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,386

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm no expert on early-20th-century piers, but I don't think it's possible for such a thoroughly modern attraction to look Victorian...maybe if a completely new one were built, but certainly not just by dressing up the existing off-the-shelf attraction.
    After looking at some photos I can see how re-theming it can be a difficult task. At the same time, i cant help but think that the copper pipes, tubes, and whatnot lend a hand in creating a steampunk aesthetic. I was sort of imagining it as a brass/copper tower emerging from a glass victorian arcade/ rotunda. Dress the outside beams to look more low tech and steam powered.

    Perhaps getting rid of the darn thing is better, but if that isnt an option, there has to be some way for the boomer to work thematically. Its not too big a deal for me, it just has to look like it belongs. If, theme wise, things are off by 5 years give or take, i can handle it


    SUPPORT THE CMs


    For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

  12. #12

    • The Dudester
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    385

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Of the two, I'd probably take quality, as Disney seems to be doing with TLM, in which case I suppose I'd advocate something with vintage Disney characters. They've never really gotten a dark ride of their own. If Paradise Pier is becoming the let's-just-throw-in-some-Disney-characters-in-a-non-Disney-environment land, may as well be consistent and do a high-quality dark ride featuring them.
    Hey, I really like that idea! I'm picturing a nice Victorian facade as an entrance. Not quite like TSM, I'm thinking more along the lines of POTC in terms of the facade looking like a harmless street-side building, whereas TSM is more open-air and feels likes a queue rather than "I'm entering a building right now". Inside, of course, is the dark ride featured vintage-style Mickey and friends! Pie-eyed and everything! Regardless of whether you like the currently emerging theme of Paradise Pier (I know this is an area of concern for you, Data ... I understand) it would at least fit in with what they are aiming at for the area. And would actually immerse you in that "theme" more so than most everything else in the Pier! Now... we may run into the same problem the original POTC queue had before the bridge, as discussed in another thread. Housing a queue seems like it can be quite a challenge! Especially in the limited space the current Maliboomer location has.

  13. #13

    • Wishing upon a star....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not near Disneyland, Utah
    Posts
    301

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    I just want it to go away.

    I would say, that it can't get any worse as far as what replaces it....but we know that is not true.

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    I don't want that space to be used for a dark ride. I rather a dark ride be done by Little Mermaid. I think MaliBoomer should be replaced with something just as thrilling.

  15. #15

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Maliboomer - What should replace it?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    After looking at some photos I can see how re-theming it can be a difficult task. At the same time, i cant help but think that the copper pipes, tubes, and whatnot lend a hand in creating a steampunk aesthetic. I was sort of imagining it as a brass/copper tower emerging from a glass victorian arcade/ rotunda. Dress the outside beams to look more low tech and steam powered.
    But you're talking about an entirely different design aesthetic than what the rest of Paradise Pier is going to supposedly look like. It'd just be an expensive change from one out-of-place aesthetic to another, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    Now... we may run into the same problem the original POTC queue had before the bridge, as discussed in another thread. Housing a queue seems like it can be quite a challenge! Especially in the limited space the current Maliboomer location has.
    Good point. Perhaps the indoor queue would make use of both levels, then, to allow more people to fit inside - you could enter the queue on the first floor, go up some stairs, load on the second floor, ride through the second floor, go down a hill into the scenes on the first floor, and then exit on either the first floor or second floor, depending on how they designed it.


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Some crazy idea to replace Maliboomer
    By Twist1234 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM
  2. [Question] Maliboomer
    By GoldenBoySC99 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 12:02 AM
  3. The Maliboomer
    By mickeymark34 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
  4. Why is Maliboomer going down, but not
    By GhostHost2 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
  5. Maliboomer: Does it really have to go?
    By KevRus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 01:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •