Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Dinner and Firework show... without the park

Quick summary of my situation: girlfriend's B-day is coming up. We recently went to DL but they had no fireworks that night (unknown to us until we got there, I grew up in Anaheim and could have sworn they went off every night). Anyway she was pretty disappointed, so I wanted to take her out for dinner near DL (probably Napa Rose), then see the fireworks from outside the park (can't go on her actual b-day or else I would probably just pay to get in the park if she was getting in free). From what I gather, the Mickey & Friends lot is my best bet.

I've already.. obtained the soundtrack from A Musical History of Disneyland. I was hoping to either be able to watch from the car with the music playing, or just use my iPhone. My questions are as follows:

1) If I go to the M&F lot, assuming I got a pass earlier in the day, will I be able to just park on the top floor? Or would I probably just park where they tell me, and walk up to the top? Either way, is West the right direction to face?

2) Any other places more convienent to watch? I was thinking dinner at Napa Rose around 6:30 or 7, finish around 9, drive over and get set up. Is there anywhere in the Grand Californian that might be accessible to watch (and more comfortable i.e. warmer?) Or perhaps somewhere else (e.g. DTD).

3) Anyone have tips on timing the audio, i.e. is the show pretty much on the dot in terms of timing, or should I look for any visual clues. From watching online videos, it looks like my best bet (without an obvious visual clue that the music had started) would be to just have the music ready to sync with the first set of shooting stars, after Julie Andrews has introduced herself.

4) I've read about a 4-course prix fixe meal or something of the sort at Napa Rose. Anyone tried this or can at least confirm that it exists? It sounds like a decent way to limit costs (I'd like to keep the cost near $200 for dinner)

Thanks for any help! It would really be helpful if the answers could let me be comfortable enough to go through with this without having to do a practice run...

Re: Dinner and Firework show... without the park

Mickey and Friends is a great spot to watch them, but your soundtrack won't synch up completley anymore since the Frontierland portion has been edited out of the show.

I would suggest the pool deck of the Paradise Pier Hotel, they play the audio there and the view is nice but not as close as M&F.

• =)

I've watched it from the IHOP on Harbor and part of it from Mickey and Friends. IHOP is probably better for getting a feel for the show itself, but Mickey and Friends is better if you want to see all the backstage areas from which the fireworks are launched.

And as Grizzly pointed out, the removal of the Frontierland segment (the Davy Crockett music) will throw the whole thing out of synch. I recommend editing it beforehand in a program like Audacity (which is free).

• TheoryOfEverythingMickey

I'm not sure where the best place to watch would be, but I would NOT recommend Mickey & Friends for this occasion - even if you can park on the top.

It's a great view if you want to see the more technical side of the show, but MANY car alarms are set off with the sound of the fireworks. Not exactly romantic or even all that enjoyable. I found it quite annoying.

• =)

I actually didn't hear any car alarms going off the time I saw it from the parking structure. ::shrug:: But yeah, it's definitely a lot less romantic and a lot more technically interesting. You can see the shells launching out of the backstage areas near Toontown, lighting up all the unthemed buildings back there. Fascinating for someone like me, but it's not for everyone.

Thank you for the photos Datameister!

• =)

Sure thing!

Yes, thanks Datameister. Those pics are pretty cool.

When I saw it from the structure, there were, at the very minimum, 20 alarms honking and screeching at the same time. Some were in the structure, and some were in the outdoor lot below.

It's probably luck of the draw - whoever shows up that day with a sensitive car alarm.

• =)

Oh man...that would not be fun!

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    And as Grizzly pointed out, the removal of the Frontierland segment (the Davy Crockett music) will throw the whole thing out of synch. I recommend editing it beforehand in a program like Audacity (which is free).
    Just to clarify, the "Shenandoah" Rivers of America part of the show (the slow song between the Pirates segment and the Frontierland segment) is still included... but after it goes to the last long note, the vulture chimes in, "So, you're looking for a laughing place, eh?" etc. etc.... in case you're going to edit it like Data suggested (and I recommend Audacity too, it's a great program) :oD

• Earning My Stripes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the Mickey and Friends side I distinctly remember the shell explosions being MUCH louder, probably due to the closer proximity to the launch sites. This may also take away from your experience of the show.

^^ Yeah, I think that is what set off all the alarms.

• =)

Thanks for the clarification, Justin! I remember how excited you got when you heard Shenandoah...only to be shot down by the lack of Davy Crockett.

And SunBurst, the shells didn't seem unusually loud when I saw the show from the structure. I'd imagine it depends on the direction and strength of the wind. The distance is actually very, very close to what it'd be if you were standing in the hub.

more pics!

We watch from McDonalds parking lot in the far corner in the back so you can see the hub fireworks and backdrop, purdy good place to watch, its quiet, secluded, and people LOVE to hear my music synced up perfectly ^^.

Not as amazing as his pics: Usually play it on the stereo, didn't have my cd's tho, so we used my ipod!haha
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCZtc3L_Q8"]YouTube - Remember Dreams Come True[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast