Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monorail Purple

• Senior Monorail Minion

Monorail Purple

As we all know, Purple was removed from the beam a few months ago. However, does anyone know where she went? I'm thinking she may have actually gone to become a Mark VII, although this is unlikely. She's probably sitting in a yard right now, but if anyone has any ideas or conspiracy theories I'd love to hear them

Keep in mind that the original p[lan was for Purple to remail with the Mark VII's in the roundhouse in case she was needed in case one broke down or something so they would keep a fleet of 4. But now she has been moved out, unlike the orgiinal plan...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Disney is home

Re: Monorail Purple

She was unfortunately recycled. As in, they recycled all of the medal in her.

• is too darn hot.

She had medals?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• We Go On.

^I always knew that monorail had potential. Glad to see it has a medal to prove it.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

What kinds of medals?

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Disney is home

In other words, they have scrapped Monorail Purple. The recycled her structure. I don't know exactly what they recycled.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Recycled as in scrapped or recycled as in using her for a new monorail or going up for ebay auction or what! We need answers!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Recycled as in scrapped or recycled as in using her for a new monorail or going up for ebay auction or what! We need answers!
    From Disney:

The debut of the Mark VII monorail fleet in 2008 marked the beginning of an era, and the end of another. After more than 20 years in operation, Disneyland Monorail Purple - the last of the Mark V monorails - was retired from Guest service last fall.

Previously, the other three monorails in the Mark V fleet had been shipped to Vancouver, Canada, where each chassis was reused in building the Mark VII fleet. But, with no fourth member set to join the Mark VII family, alternate plans had to be shaped for Monorail Purple's future after its final run.

"Some of its parts were reused in building the new monorails," according to Larry Vick, Environmental Affairs. But what about the remaining 139-foot steel and fiberglass body? "Large items like these aren't accepted by landfills," Larry said.

So, rather than letting the remnants of the monorail sit in a bone yard, his team opted for a greener solution.

Section by section, Monorail Purple was disassembled and loaded onto flatbed trucks for transport to a scrap metal facility in Anaheim. Upon arrival, the monorail was completely dismantled, and the repurposable materials fed into a shredder to be cut down into smaller pieces. More than 38,000 pounds of steel were recovered and shipped to plants in Asia where they will be combined with fresh iron ore and recycled into new steel.

The Never-ending Recycling of Steel

More steel is recycled every year than any other type of material, according to the Steel Recycling Institute. On average, every three pounds of new steel is comprised from approximately two pounds of old steel. Its production requires reduced quantities of iron ore and material resources, produces smaller amounts of carbon dioxide, and utilizes less energy than producing steel from all-new components.

"The metal can be repurposed into any type of steel it needs to be," Larry says.

Recycled steel is frequently used in building new automobiles and appliances, forged into construction materials, or utilized in items as varied as highway guard rails and food containers. Once these products reach the end of their useful life, they can be recycled into new steel again and again.

So while Monorail Purple may now only live on in photos and memories, its service will be extended indefinitely through recycling. The raw materials that once carried millions of park Guests over two decades could soon again foster the innovation of tomorrow.

• MC, this is LD

Hey maybe that leaves the possibility of buying a new Monorail Purple containing car. Watch all the Asian car companies sell 29,000 cars like that!

--KAN

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Lol this thread made me laugh.

And I never remember seeing a purple monorail in disneyland...ever O_o (though i didn't stop going regularly until January of this year)
    Ohhai!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Monorail Purple. 22 years of service on the beam ending in 2008. It was a Mark V andhad a pruple stripe.
    WELCOME ABOARD

• MC, this is LD

A quick pictorial reminder of Monorail Purple:

Picture by MousePlanet

[Unknown Source: If it's yours, tell me]

--KAN

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Maybe they can put whoever had the monorail wrapped in that terrible tacky nightmare vinyl in one of those metal shredders?
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• MC, this is LD

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    Maybe they can put whoever had the monorail wrapped in that terrible tacky nightmare vinyl in one of those metal shredders?
    No, even better, smother them in plastic wrap before running them through the aforementioned shredders!!!

--KAN

• Collision speed....FULL!

Being pulled off the beam.....

(Original un-cropped photo)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast