Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Mickey Fun Wheel's "Role" in World of Color

I keep hearing people on the boards talk about the "role" that Mickey's Fun Wheel will have in the World of Color show.

[photo by Andy Castro]

It came up twice. The first time it came up was when the gigantic Mickey head got placed on the wheel. People were discussing how Mickey's head will somehow "come alive" during the show and say a few lines, wink his eye, or something of that nature.

The second time is a few weeks ago when the wheel's LED testing started, and all these crazy color patterns put on a show for a geeky distant audience watching from the Mattercam. Well, Mickey's Fun Wheel opened recently, and the light patterns on the wheel are on during the attraction's normal operation (on days when DCA is open late enough for it to get dark, of course) - but lots of folks seem to be absolutely convinced that the lights will also be choreographed with World of Color.

What proof do we have that either of this is true? I haven't heard anything from official sources, nor seen any concept art of World of Color that would suggest that Mickey's Fun Wheel is in any way connected to the show. Is this just fan speculation that spread infectiously around the Internet like swine flu? Or did Al or someone else with connections hint about this?

[photo by Andy Castro]

I'd ask Mickey first, but he doesn't seem to be talking.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 05-13-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Updated explanation that the fancy lights are used on the Fun Wheel during normal operation

• Storyteller

Re: Mickey Fun Wheel's "Role" in World of Color

It would be awesome if they incorporated the Wheel into the show, so much could be done with it.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

i'm thinking it's all various theories thought up by all us mcers i haven't seen or heard of any hard proof yet. it's just all of us trying to make sense of it for now.

flower gleam & glow...

• MC, this is LD

Not to photo grudge, but does that happen to be my picture? If it is I'm totally OK with it! The only reason I recognized it was it's my favorite in my batch. It may have happened you just clicked capture on the Mattercam at the same time I did.

--KAN
    Last edited by KAN; 05-02-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

• DCA FTW!

I don't think we are 100% certain it will be in the show, but since the water jets and show system they're setting up is smack dab in front of it, one can only guess that some how it will be.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    I don't think we are 100% certain it will be in the show, but since the water jets and show system they're setting up is smack dab in front of it, one can only guess that some how it will be.
    Forgive me as I play devil's advocate, but isn't it just as probable that the Fun Wheel could sit dark during the show? There's no law that says it has to be in the show just because it's got a Mickey head on it.

• Hillbilly Philosopher

Interesting concept. One nice thing it that they would not have to shut the ride down since they are not dealing with fireworks. Imagine all of the people trying to hop on the ride at the right moment! Sounds like fun!

~JBodine

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JBodine View Post
    Interesting concept. One nice thing it that they would not have to shut the ride down since they are not dealing with fireworks. Imagine all of the people trying to hop on the ride at the right moment! Sounds like fun!

~JBodine
    That would be amazingly awesome!

While I have heard this from numerous sources, I am going to defer to a comment made by our own reliable Darkbeer on another board <laughinplace>:

Darkbeer Thu 4/23/2009 11:36a

OK, and by no means am I an Disney Apologist. But the "upgrade" was done for the "World of Color" show primarily. Yes, the Gondola's got new paint, but the lighting and the "Mickey" Face are there specifically for the new water show.

I wish they addressed the queue, which was part of the "wish list", alas, budgets said We can't afford it.

Disney did what it NEEDED to do.
    I actually thought Al mentioned something similar a few updates ago as well, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-03-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: link to another message board deleted
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Thanks for the quote, Robonics.

My pleasure, glad I can help

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Minion

I am aware that it is a crime on MiceChat to have an opinion before I see it, but the logical side of me just can't comprehend how Mickey's Fun Wheel can effectively contribute anything to this show that is going to be on such an epic scale. World of Color is supposed to pull your emotions and dazzle the living bejeesus out of you. How can a ferris wheel do any of that?

Some may not relate but Mickey's face brings back a lot of memories and emotions from years past of watching Saturday morning cartoons. This image can be directly tied in to a "It all started with a mouse..." section of WOC. Or perhaps the opening of the show will be similar to turning on the television and watching the opening sequence to a Mickey Mouse cartoon. All guesses on my part...

Image from Popular Posters, Art and Canvas Prints - PopArtUK, Posters, Art Prints and Canvas
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 05-02-2009 at 07:24 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    I am aware that it is a crime on MiceChat to have an opinion before I see it, but the logical side of me just can't comprehend how Mickey's Fun Wheel can effectively contribute anything to this show that is going to be on such an epic scale. World of Color is supposed to pull your emotions and dazzle the living bejeesus out of you. How can a ferris wheel do any of that?
    It's not just a ferris wheel, it's a ferris wheel with a Mickey Mouse face. That can do a lot with the show. I'm not sure if it'll just be lights, or if the face will move somehow, but am almost certain it'll be in World of Color.

• Banned User

I really hope they dont try to make Mickey talk or move his mouth etc, that'd be kinda creepy. The best option is it mimick the World of Color tv show and have a kalidescope effect of lighting around him etc.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast