Page 100 of 134 FirstFirst ... 507590979899100101102103110125 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2009

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Have you seen the official press release? Disney wants to keep the Mexican references intact:

When designing the look of the new Asian restaurant, Kim Irvine wants the feel to be as inviting and innovative as in its original location. "I think it's fun to say that this was the old Mexican restaurant in the Pacific Wharf, and it's been taken over by the Chinese. So there will be a lot of things left there, like the old Mission Tortilla references. You'll be able to see remnants of the tortilla factory, etc. that the Asian family left there when they set up shop in the Pacific Wharf."
    The Chinese taking over a Mexican restaurant in the Pacific Wharf next to the Route 66 desert town.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    That sounds ridiculously silly and unnecessary to me. I understand that there's always been a joke in attractions to leave a reminder behind, but I don't think it's necessary when restaurants SWAP locations.

It's borderline idiotic in my opinion. And I know I know.. it's only eateries but this is basically the same kind of discussion as the Disneyland tracker is getting about the Bank being taken over by an art gallery.

Sounds like someone in WDI gets to make decisions... but it's not someone who's very creative.
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Oh no...
    <shakes head sadly>
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    This is farcial and rash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post

so WDI is trying to say that Asians are lazy and can't properly set up shop?!?!?!

Asians pride themselves in their culture and would never let it be contradicted... I mean that would be like putting a P.F Changs in an old Bubba Gumps... or even a Taco Bell in an old McDonalds and leaving the archs up.
    Ironically, responses like these aren't being said about the real article that 2DieFR is parodying here, that has to do with the new Disney Gallery in the Bank of Main Street. Funny that people are offended by something like this here, but not by the equally offending makeover that is actually being made at the Bank of Main Street.

Here's the original article excerpt that 2DieFR parodied, which has to do with the Bank of Main Street/Disney Gallery:

For the Love of Art
    Disney twenty-three magazine | Summer 2009 | Pages 10 - 13
    When designing the look of the shows at the new Gallery, Kim Irvine wants the feel to be as inviting and innovative as in its original location. "I think it's fun to say that this was the big bank on Main Street, U.S.A., and it's been taken over by an art gallery. So there will be a lot of things left there, like old teller cages. You'll be able to see remnants of the bank background, and whatever show we're displaying, we'll be doing propping and overdressing. We're also designing the new Gallery to have a specific place where we can again put a centerpiece that will immediately inform guests what the show is all about when they walk in the door. Plus, we'll be keeping that big vault for our very, very, special paintings."

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I was parodying the article to make a point about how Disney goes about repurposing old buildings with new inhabitants, i.e. leaving the old artifacts intact and coming up with a long-winded "takeover" storyline.

• I'm not really here

..Or like putting an art gallery in a turn-of-the-century bank?
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Ironically, responses like these aren't being said about the real article that 2DieFR is parodying here, that has to do with the new Disney Gallery in the Bank of Main Street. Funny that people are offended by something like this here, but not by the equally offending makeover that is actually being made at the Bank of Main Street.
    I have made many repeated statements in that thread in anger over that little piece of idiocy as well. Either one or the other, but not both.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I have made many repeated statements in that thread in anger over that little piece of idiocy as well. Either one or the other, but not both.
    You're an exception to the rule, then, my friend.

| | |

• HauntedOne999

Here's the original article excerpt that 2DieFR parodied, which has to do with the Bank of Main Street/Disney Gallery:
    For the Love of Art
    When designing the look of the shows at the new Gallery, Kim Irvine wants the feel to be as inviting and innovative as in its original location. "I think it's fun to say that this was the big bank on Main Street, U.S.A., and it's been taken over by an art gallery. So there will be a lot of things left there, like old teller cages. You'll be able to see remnants of the bank background, and whatever show we're displaying, we'll be doing propping and overdressing. We're also designing the new Gallery to have a specific place where we can again put a centerpiece that will immediately inform guests what the show is all about when they walk in the door. Plus, we'll be keeping that big vault for our very, very, special paintings."
    Although I would hate for it to be left being called a bank... Art was actually kept inside vaults... as did other expensive items during the turn of the century. Jewlery stores and even Fur shops had vaults inside the shops.

In fact there is an old Fur Coat Shop in Long Beach that still has the original vault in place... which is really wierd as the shop is currently an "Adult" shop.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• The Dudester

Before MasterGracey let the cat out of the bag, I was going to mention how funny I thought it was that many people thought that quote was real. I don't think Disney would send out a press release with borderline racism in it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Although I would hate for it to be left being called a bank... Art was actually kept inside vaults... as did other expensive items during the turn of the century. Jewlery stores and even Fur shops had vaults inside the shops.

In fact there is an old Fur Coat Shop in Long Beach that still has the original vault in place... which is really wierd as the shop is currently an "Adult" shop.
    This isn't the right thread for this, but seriously, what kind of bank opens their vault and lets the public tour the precious items their customers have trusted them to keep safe?

Come on. That isn't theming, it's a cop-out.

As for the "Adult" shop you're referencing -- that's a modern-day repurposing of a now out-of-business business. Again, I see no reason why out idealized turn-of-the-century Main Street would have its only bank go out of business. Doesn't make sense.

| | |

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    The Chinese taking over a Mexican restaurant in the Pacific Wharf next to the Route 66 desert town.
    how exactly are they going to seamlessly transition from a wharf to plateau dessert?!?!?!

at least with Bugs Land they have a transition with the giant cookie box

• Dream in wonderful color!

Have you seen the official press release? Disney wants to keep the Mexican references intact:

When designing the look of the new Asian restaurant, Kim Irvine wants the feel to be as inviting and innovative as in its original location. "I think it's fun to say that this was the old Mexican restaurant in the Pacific Wharf, and it's been taken over by the Chinese. So there will be a lot of things left there, like the old Mission Tortilla references. You'll be able to see remnants of the tortilla factory, etc. that the Asian family left there when they set up shop in the Pacific Wharf."
    Wait, so this isn't real? Why would you call it an official press release?

It's hard to tell whether you were joking or not. oh well.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I was parodying the article to make a point about how Disney goes about repurposing old buildings with new inhabitants, i.e. leaving the old artifacts intact and coming up with a long-winded "takeover" storyline.

Don't do that again.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Dream in wonderful color!

how exactly are they going to seamlessly transition from a wharf to plateau dessert?!?!?!
    not any more different than..

a futuristic monorail riding next to a Swiss mountain that's sitting next to an australian submarine lagoon where you can hear fishes talk.

• HauntedOne999

so was the press release a farce? just a way to kill posts to get to VI?

• Member; Mousketeer

For the Love of Art
    "When designing the look of the shows at the new Gallery, Kim Irvine wants the feel to be as inviting and innovative as in its original location. "I think it's fun to say that this was the big bank on Main Street, U.S.A., and it's been taken over by an art gallery. So there will be a lot of things left there, like old teller cages. You'll be able to see remnants of the bank background, and whatever show we're displaying, we'll be doing propping and overdressing. We're also designing the new Gallery to have a specific place where we can again put a centerpiece that will immediately inform guests what the show is all about when they walk in the door. Plus, we'll be keeping that big vault for our very, very, special paintings."
    Forgive me for I had just recently discovered this.

Applying this notion on a restaurant is dim-witted as it is but to also use this kind of thought to The Main Street Bank is plain imbecilic.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    Wait, so this isn't real? Why would you call it an official press release?

It's hard to tell whether you were joking or not. oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Don't do that again.
    so was the press release a farce? just a way to kill posts to get to VI?
    It was really quite the harmless post, folks. A joke, nothing more, and it actually made a valid point about the state of Walt Disney Imagineering and how it is creatively approaching certain projects.

In any case, let's move on. I still quite dislike the new sign, however, I'm holding out hope the new Asian offerings actually taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    Forgive me for I had just recently discovered this.

Applying this notion on a restaurant is dim-witted as it is but to also use this kind of thought to The Main Street Bank is plain imbecilic.
    Agreed.

| | |