Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 891011121314213661111 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

I think the big black boxes have a big guide mechanism that they're built into which I believe will guide the whole thing as it lifts, it doesn't need to really lift it, because if it's full of air it should have tremendous bouyancy.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    the black boxes have to move, if they don't then how do they access them to repair the equipment in them?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that DOSH would expressly forbid the entering of one of these boxes if it were floating. I'm going to say that these boxes will remain sealed shut and only accessed if the lagoon is drained to a level below the top of the box so that it is safely resting on its support. (This is assuming you are correct and they do float). But if they are only ever to be entered when resting in the frame, why have them float? There is no reason to as there are plenty of flexible hose solutions to get things from the box to the nozzles. Also, if these are indeed major pump/distribution housings, the less they move, the better.

In looking closely at the full resolution image on Darkbeer's gallery, I can't see actual bolts from the box to the silver frame, but I can see places where it looks like the could be (the black flanges coming off that are resting on top of the frame. The boxes themselves are not resting on the lagoon bottom but appear to be suspended about 4-6 inches above the concrete. On the upper two in the image, it is also possible to see what looks like cleats underneath the silver frame that match up in position with the supports above the silver frame. If they are, then they are not going to allow the boxes to rise up at all.

If anyone can find a picture of these during installation from a better angle, that would be great! And I guess we're going to have to wait and see how things go as they begin installation of the infrastructure on top of the grid.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I see the lifts underneath the back section too. That platform must have very strong beams under it to spread the weight of such a large platform over the lifts.

Just another reason being a WDI would be the best job ever.
    "What did you do today at work dear?"
    "Designed a huge underwater raising platform that will launch pyrotechnics, water jets and lasers in Disneys next spectacular show. You know, slow day at the office."

• Senior Minion

Maybe I'll look closer later tonight. I thought the big boxes would move with the platform but perhaps they won't.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

I don't know... I'm just talking about what I see and how I understand it... I could be completely out in left field... or possibly the bleacher. Even the parking lot is not out of the realm of possibility here.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Imagineer in training

7.9 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth!

7.8% done Whoo!
    I want to be an Imagineer....

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that DOSH would expressly forbid the entering of one of these boxes if it were floating. I'm going to say that these boxes will remain sealed shut and only accessed if the lagoon is drained to a level below the top of the box so that it is safely resting on its support. (This is assuming you are correct and they do float). But if they are only ever to be entered when resting in the frame, why have them float? There is no reason to as there are plenty of flexible hose solutions to get things from the box to the nozzles. Also, if these are indeed major pump/distribution housings, the less they move, the better.

In looking closely at the full resolution image on Darkbeer's gallery, I can't see actual bolts from the box to the silver frame, but I can see places where it looks like the could be (the black flanges coming off that are resting on top of the frame. The boxes themselves are not resting on the lagoon bottom but appear to be suspended about 4-6 inches above the concrete. On the upper two in the image, it is also possible to see what looks like cleats underneath the silver frame that match up in position with the supports above the silver frame. If they are, then they are not going to allow the boxes to rise up at all.

If anyone can find a picture of these during installation from a better angle, that would be great! And I guess we're going to have to wait and see how things go as they begin installation of the infrastructure on top of the grid.
    DOSH is really only concerned with attractions from a guest safety point of view, OSHA would rule for employees at the parks. I don't see why floating or resting on the supports would make a difference, either way the box is still semi submerged. It would probably be considered some kind of special access space under OSHA Guidelines, with special safety equipment requirements. I really don't think they Disney would design equipment rooms that require the Bay to be drained to access. I would expect them to put the equipment somewhere accessible for maintenance. I also don't think that the boxes will house pumps, that many jets will require either many small pumps or some very large pumps, neither of which (I believe) would fit in the boxes. Since Macro has already confirmed at least one type of pump being used and the large number of matching pallets of pump boxes on top of the platform, I would say they are going with many small pumps. I really don't think they will all fit inside the black boxes. This leads me to think that the black boxes are electrical equipment rooms and will have lots of cables coming from them, and electrical equipment is more likely to need maintenance than pumps IMHO

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I don't know... I'm just talking about what I see and how I understand it... I could be completely out in left field... or possibly the bleacher. Even the parking lot is not out of the realm of possibility here.
    Yeah, we all are to some extent. It's pretty easy to make oneself look silly guessing what they are doing. (And sometimes what sounds silly one week becomes obviously true the next or vice versus.
    -Walt Disney

This has been mentioned before, but I didn't feel like reading through all of the thousands of old posts.

So...how does WDI propose to prevent the viewers of the WOC show of getting wet during its showing.

For the many times that i have seen Fantasmic, i have been able to just deal with the mist when up close, and when far enough away it wasn't a big deal.
    But this show takes the words "Water Show" to a whole new level. Will the viewing area be far enough away to prevent the viewers from getting wet? And i wonder if the immense moisture will affect any nearby attractions while the show is going on.

These are obviously all questions that will inevitably be asked, or have already been solved before the show even finishes completion.

What are your thoughts?????

• Waxing Nostalgic

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Also, does anybody know what the deal is with the Golden Zephyr? In Project Tracker IV someone said that the ride was closed for just a couple days while a new part was installed or something. But in MousePlanet's Disneyland update today they still have the ride listed as "Closed until further notice." Disneyland's website doesn't list it as closed, but their calendar isn't always to be trusted...

If anybody has any info, please share
    It was operating with guests this afternoon.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Smontalvo1489 View Post
    This has been mentioned before, but I didn't feel like reading through all of the thousands of old posts.

So...how does WDI propose to prevent the viewers of the WOC show of getting wet during its showing.

For the many times that i have seen Fantasmic, i have been able to just deal with the mist when up close, and when far enough away it wasn't a big deal.
    But this show takes the words "Water Show" to a whole new level. Will the viewing area be far enough away to prevent the viewers from getting wet? And i wonder if the immense moisture will affect any nearby attractions while the show is going on.

These are obviously all questions that will inevitably be asked, or have already been solved before the show even finishes completion.

What are your thoughts?????
    Yep it has been discussed, but we really don't know at this point, just speculation. There have been rumors of roofs at Ariel's/Princess Palace for this purpose. I assume that the viewing area will be far enough to not get too wet, but on some days I'm sure it will. I also think the water screens will be pretty far back from the viewing area so at least the most particulate water will hopefully fall back into the bay before dropping on the audience. In any case I'm willing to get a little wet if I have to.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentLover View Post
    It was operating with guests this afternoon.
    Thanks... I'm going to assume that its operating normally and I'm going to remove the entry completely since it was just for a short, standard maintenance issue.

Thanks

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I assume that the viewing area will be far enough to not get too wet, but on some days I'm sure it will. I also think the water screens will be pretty far back from the viewing area so at least the most particulate water will hopefully fall back into the bay before dropping on the audience. In any case I'm willing to get a little wet if I have to.
    Thanks for the insight. Yea, I'm willing to get wet if the show is as good as it is being hyped up to be. And like everyone else I am looking forward to this show.

This is off topic, but I was looking at DL and DCA on Google Maps, and I had forgotten how much space seems to be wasted in DCA compared to DL. The amount of show buildings in DL is amazing, and the way that they comfortably cram so much into that place is amazing. I understand some attractions are underground (POTC) and some take place in show buildings that are quite a distance from the access of guests (Indy).

DCA has good food, the California weather (obviously), and in even some cases, it does have great attention to detail...but its main need is Attractions!!!

What areas are left in the park after all is said and done in phase ONE to either construct show buildings to potentially build a highly detailed E-ticket thrill ride, or aside from Golden Dreams which is already scheduled for demolition are there any existing buildings that could be torn down for the building of an outdoor E-ticket?
    ?????

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Smontalvo1489 View Post
    This is off topic, but I was looking at DL and DCA on Google Maps, and I had forgotten how much space seems to be wasted in DCA compared to DL. The amount of show buildings in DL is amazing, and the way that they comfortably cram so much into that place is amazing. I understand some attractions are underground (POTC) and some take place in show buildings that are quite a distance from the access of guests (Indy).

A lot of this is due to the poor layout of DCA compared to Disneyland. Disneyland was successful in its model acting like a wheel with a center and spokes that go towards the lands.

Big rides that occupy the most space are on the edges with their show buildings backstage. Only the Matterhorn is completely on stage. Big Thunder is also all on stage but the back of it blocked by the backstage area of Fantasyland.

The lands are also back to back so that buildings share the same architecture whiile looking like a separate building (like the buildings of Adventureland and Frontierland).

DCA is pretty much ALL onstage just about. It's edges pushed to the very limits. There's basically nothing that is occupying backstage space so everything is visible. Putting the Grand Californian Hotel so close to an entire edge of DCA will also hurt it's growth potential, as they don't want to obscure the view of hotel guests.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thats why Disney needs to do things like RSR that create walls around the outside of the park blocking view. Disney does this at Disneyland with trees, facades (Small World, Splash Mt, Ht Mansion, and of course the berm. It will be interesting to see what else they do to deal with the all important sightline. As earlier stated, this is one of the reasons that Paradise Pier doesnt work in its old state. Far to much distraction from what they wanted it to be.