Page 118 of 134 FirstFirst ... 186893108115116117118119120121128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2009

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    The NOS was built, Disneyland didn't suffer the same thematic problems DCA had. Again NOS was an addition, it didn't need to be built. DCA's is overhauling because it was a problem that needed fixing.
    Yep.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    The NOS was built, Disneyland didn't suffer the same thematic problems DCA had. Again NOS was an addition, it didn't need to be built. DCA's is overhauling because it was a problem that needed fixing.
    Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion were built on the land where Holidayland once existed. Wasn't Holidayland a problem that badly needed fixing, which explains why its lifetime was so short lived, indeed, even shorter than Sunshine Plaza's?

Quoted from The Nickel Tour:
    Holidayland was a concession to tradition in the amusement park industry, something Walt rarely did. It seemed every other park had a picnic grounds, so why shouldn't Disneyland?

The Disneyland picnic grounds started out with a big handicap - they lacked the beautiful landscaping, the rivers and lakes, and the ornate architecture that had made the rest of Disneyland so special. The very qualities that drew guests to Disneyland were missing at Holidayland. In their place was a broad expanse of asphalt and grass, with only a handful of trees to block out the summer heat.
    I can see several parallels between the necessities to convert Holidayland into New Orleans Square and Sunshine Plaza into Buena Vista Street: need for added landscaping and shade, to look more inviting and thematically intricate, and to add to the longevity of the park itself.

It's easy to say now that Disneyland didn't have to have New Orleans Square added to it, but if it hadn't been, there would still be Holidayland which was a failure from the start, and there wouldn't be two of the most popular E-tickets in the whole park. The fact of the matter is, they did build it, and Disneyland became stronger because of it. The same is true for Buena Vista Street at DCA.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    A working Carthay Theater seems kind of difficult based on the limited space they have. I'm assuming the current fountain area will be part of the new circular road/hub, which pushes the potential lobby inside the Carthay tower into the wooded area behind, leaving very little space for any actual theater.

I wonder if maybe they will cannibalize the ITTBAB theater in Phase 2? That would keep the number of theaters in the backlot to two.

that area is a bit small for the Carthay footprint. add to that area the rest of the green shrubbery up to the ITTBAB queue/cave entrance then add to that a bit of the western edge of the parade route.

the fountain area is also part of the structure footprint. remember the circular road for the hub will be pushed west of where it is now.

notice the picture of the model

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...ht-disney.html

and this other picture shows the size of the structure pretty accuratelly

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...rt-casttv.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Why is anyone supporting the Carthay Circle Theater sitting empty for 6 years just because Haunted Mansion did the same?

The Mansion had the luxury of being started by Walt and had the misfortune of being completed without him. The Carthay Circle Theater is on VERY different circumstances.

Mansion was built because there was a haunted SOMETHING going there. Whether it be a walk-through or ride, it had its theme. The Carthay Circle Theater as of right now is built for the sole purpose of looking good.

Yes, that's a step in the right direction when you look at how bad Sunshine Plaza is, but DCA was also criticized for its lack of attractions. Planning an empty theater is pointless. It will only cost more money to update it for whatever they decide later on.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I really doubt the Carthay will sit empty for too long. It might not even sit empty at all. They have revisited the idea to open it with a Walt Disney tribute with the possibility of moving the office and other artifacts from the opera house over to the Carthay and then adding other significant artifacts to the display

• HauntedOne999

who is to say that the Carthay will sit empty?

if it becomes a preview center... if they were smart they would build it prepped for the Walt Disney Story.

They theater could sit empty till they were ready for the new Walt Disney Story film... while the lobby could be the preview center. The areas where the offices would go could be left unfinnished (missing the front wall where the viewing window would be) so to use that space for preview exhibits. Then when they were fully prepared to go thru with the Walt Disney Story they wouldnt have to do too much.

Heck the theater could be used for Press meetings, training, or special events in the mean time.

I just serioulsy doubt that WDI would waste money to build a temporary Preview Center just to be gutted for a new attraction....or would they?
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    that area is a bit small for the Carthay footprint. add to that area the rest of the green shrubbery up to the ITTBAB queue/cave entrance then add to that a bit of the western edge of the parade route.

the fountain area is also part of the structure footprint. remember the circular road for the hub will be pushed west of where it is now.

notice the picture of the model

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...ht-disney.html

and this other picture shows the size of the structure pretty accuratelly

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...rt-casttv.html
    OK, I see how the street is farther west and the Carthay takes up the fountain and a little more of the greenery, but it's still a small footprint, meaning a pretty small theater, especially compared to ITTBAB.

• Fleeting Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    It'd just be nice to have the exterior because they will eventually fill it. If they don't build it now, there is no impetus for them to do it in the future. Whereas at the every least, it can be used as retail later on.
    Yes, because Disney has such a grand tradition of finishing off projects that they started by just initially building empty facades.

Just look as World Showcase at Epcot. It didn't take them very long at all to put Meet the World into its Japan show building... What? Never happened you say? Well, then they must've come up with a better attraction for that space, like the bullet train idea, the Ginza shopping district, or the grand Mount Fuji coaster.... What do you mean that space is just being used for storage??

Ok. Well, then Germany had a partial showbuilding built for its Rhine River cruise. They had to have finished off that project by now, right? Or the gondola ride for Italy??

What do you mean they've barely touched that half of the park since Norway was built??!?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

And.. here.... we... go!

The long-awaited demolition of DCA begins, starting with Dinosaur Jack's Sunglass Shack on June 29. If you're a fan of that tacky green mess, your last chance to see it (albeit, already behind walls) is rapidly approaching.

Likewise, the Golden Dreams Theater will finally move into Yesterland when demolition crews move in July 6 to finally put Califia to rest.

It'll be interesting to see the demolition and eventual new construction take place.

Dinosaur Jack's Sunglass Shack removal
    Details: Sunglass store scheduled to close permanently May 26, 2009. The retail location will be removed completely.
    Project Status: Store closed May 26, 2009, construction walls went up May 27. Demolition begins June 29.
    The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Adventure and Mermaid Grotto (Includes Removal of Golden Dreams)
    Project Status: In progress. Golden Dreams closed to the public September 7, with the attraction open to school groups only through Spring 2009. Construction walls went up around Golden Dreams May 27, 2009. Golden Dreams Theater demolition begins July 6, 2009.
    Open Date: May 2011

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well, I don't care for the idea of the Carthay sitting empty just because empty buildings is an issue of complaint about DCA now for many people. I also really want the rumored swanky art deco interior to be built so that the building's theme continues both inside and out. But I do understand why TDA wants to spend as much money on rides vs. shows as possible because DCA does have a lot of shows. That aspect makes perfect sense to me, there's nothing more important then the right attraction mix.
    I will start off by saying I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression the Walt Disney Story exhibit was a "go" again. Maybe in a newer format. Butt hat some sort of Walt "museum" would be coming to the Carthay building. Anyone else heard anything similar? Personally, a "Walt's" version of CA themed park should have a Walt exhibit (call me crazy!)
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    OK, I see how the street is farther west and the Carthay takes up the fountain and a little more of the greenery, but it's still a small footprint, meaning a pretty small theater, especially compared to ITTBAB.
    yes it is a much smaller footprint than the theater on mainstreet. I really doubt that anymore theaters that size would be built again unless it is used for some kind of 3d attraction.

Theaters like the one in the Opera house and the one in DCA that used to show Golden Dreams rarely fill up. They have even considered making the one in the Opera house smaller and more intimate.

Quote Originally Posted by jmuboy View Post
    I will start off by saying I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression the Walt Disney Story exhibit was a "go" again. Maybe in a newer format. Butt hat some sort of Walt "museum" would be coming to the Carthay building. Anyone else heard anything similar? Personally, a "Walt's" version of CA themed park should have a Walt exhibit (call me crazy!)

see my previous post #1760

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

How long did the castle sit empty before the walk thru came in. Thats a major park icon built to just look good and be used as a weenie. And I still thought that the Carathy was being used for something.

^
    Less than two years.

• Go DCA, Go! :D

^
    and maybe the WDS might arrive in less than two years. It's better than it becoming a shop like the one at DHS.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian