Page 122 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122123124125132 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2009

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    ^ More like spelling crisis. Ouch.
    I meant to post something about that in the poll thread, but forgot. I hope we're not the only ones who've noticed...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Lowering Expectations

More like spelling crisis. Ouch.
    Didn't notice that until just now. "Idnetity?"

Whoops..
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• is too darn hot.

I guess I am the only person that liked Dinosaur Jack. Still, he doesn't fit in the new DCA.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I guess I am the only person that liked Dinosaur Jack. Still, he doesn't fit in the new DCA.
    That depends on what the "new" DCA is. So far, I suppose this bastion of tackiness wouldn't fit in the "new" DCA because it does not resemble a popular Disney character.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Go DCA, Go! :D

^One of the original problems with DCA was that there was barely a Disney feeling to it, and if the overhaul at Paradise Pier means that we need characters to "Disney-it-up" then so be it. I understand that Dinosaur Jack was tacky and wouldn't fit the new approach to the park, but it was cool and fit the theme of Route 66. I don't care if there are 1000 Disney characters on Paradise Pier. As long as it is tastefully added and makes PP look better, I'm okay with it. PP is supposed to be fun with a Disney approach. If anywhere needed characters inserted, it was there. I would rather see Mickey than that ugly looking sun on Mickey's Fun Wheel.
    Last edited by MasterGracey1969; 06-25-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey1969 View Post
    ^One of the original problems with DCA was that there was barely a Disney feeling to it, I understand the Dino was tacky and wouldn't fit the new approach to the park, but it was cool. If Fantasyland had a generic look to it with no characters, wouldn't you like to insert characters into it. I don't care if there are 1000 Disney characters on the pier. As long as it makes it look better, I'm okay with it. PP is supposed to be fun with a Disney approach. If anywhere needed characters inserted, it was there. I would rather see Mickey than that ugly looking sun on Mickey's Fun Wheel.
    I suppose the real issue is how the "Disney aesthetic" is defined. If it is, in fact, defined by the powers that be, by the use of characters, then I suppose they're only doing their job, and doing it rather well with the Paradise Pier remodel.

But historically speaking, characters do not define the Disney theme park aesthetic. If anything, characters are rarely seen except for within the attractions themselves. Fantasyland is almost entirely without characters in plain-view, save for Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Mr. Toad's narcissistic architecture, and the Pinnocchio puppet at the entrance to the ride. And yet, the land is strewn with beautiful buildings, gorgeous detail, and is uniquely Disney.

Likewise, just about every land in Disneyland is like this, save for Mickey's Toon Town. New Orleans Square has no obvious character references anywhere, except for during Haunted Mansion Holiday when Jack Skellington sits atop the Mansion gate. Even Tomorrowland has no visible characters on display, unless you include the seagulls from Finding Nemo.

If anything, the obvious, in-your-face character approach that Disney is taking with Paradise Pier continues that land's legacy of being uniquely un-Disney in both attraction content and appearance. I continue to scratch my head at Imagineering's decision that big, blatant Disney characters seem to now represent the long-established Disney theme park aesthetic. It doesn't.

| | |

^The only thing that would be "in your face" is Mickey on Mickey's Fun Wheel.
    There is no way that they could make him subtle, it's a ferris wheel. TSMM has no characters outside other than Mr. Potato Head, but he's a boardwalk barker he has to be in plain sight. Even King Triton's Carousel features his mural on the part that is not in plain sight. The boardwalk games feature no characters on the exterior unlike the concept art.(over Bullseye's game) Yet I see beautiful architecture, gorgeous detail, and a unique Disney feeling.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

^The only thing that would be "in your face" is Mickey on Mickey's Fun Wheel.
    There is no way that they could make him subtle, it's a ferris wheel. TSMM has no characters outside other than Mr. Potato Head, but he's a boardwalk barker he has to be in plain sight. Even King Triton's Carousel features his mural on the part that is not in plain sight. The boardwalk games feature no characters on the exterior unlike the concept art.(over Bullseye's game) Yet I see beautiful architecture, gorgeous detail, and a unique Disney feeling.
    Well, what happens when the visual anchor of the land is an over-the-top and in-your-face character? It sets a certain tone, to be sure, and helps highlight every other character reference. Silly Symphony Swings will certainly be featuring a prominent Mickey Mouse atop of the ride structure, and Goofy's Sky Skool and Little Mermaid have both had concepts shown in the past that have prominent characters on display.

We'll see how those turn out, but it is also worth mentioning the Donald Duck cutouts atop the Midway Mania extended queue shade structures, and Mr. Potato Head isn't hard to miss as you pass by. Also, consider other concepts that have been cut or delayed indefinitely, such as the Green Army Men-themed reworking of the Maliboomer.

I don't think it's wrong or unfair to say, though, that Mickey's Fun Wheel is not in line with the traditional Disney theme park aesthetic, whether you like the Mickey face or not.

| | |

^The Donald Duck cutouts are subtle enough for even me to miss them, and I have very good attention to detail. Like I said, Mr Potato Head is a Boardwalk Barker, barkers were always in plain sight. He is also a very minor weenie to bring people into TSMM. SSS is a run of the line Waveswinger and needs the Band Mickey to tell a story, it's not going to be 60 ft tall or anything, just a small figurine like the Tinkerbell in last years floral. I guess people can have their opinons on MFW, but it is, what it is.
    -jfsebastian

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

^The Donald Duck cutouts are subtle enough for even me to miss them, and I have very good attention to detail. Like I said, Mr Potato Head is a Boardwalk Barker, barkers were always in plain sight. He is also a very minor weenie to bring people into TSMM. SSS is a run of the line Waveswinger and needs the Band Mickey to tell a story, it's not going to be 60 ft tall or anything, just a small figurine like the Tinkerbell in last years floral. I guess people can have their opinons on MFW, but it is, what it is.
    All of that is irrelevant. Mr. Potato Head is still an obvious, recognizable Disney character. Likewise with Mickey Mouse on the Swings, etc. They point is that they're using Disney characters to carry the weight of the land's theme, instead of actually giving the land a theme to work with. That is not how Disney theme parks have traditionally been designed.

| | |

• Banned User

Thank GOD that ugly thing is going away!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I guess I never really understood the hate for the Dino.

While I agree that the whole Route 66 theme never really seemed fully fleshed out, I totally understood the "road side attraction" idea. There used to be dinosaurs on highway 17 in Scotts Valley on the way into Santa Cruz. Just passing them on the highway was always one of the the things my sisters and I looked forward to as kids.
    Everyone understand how it relates to Route 66, but its still ugly. Its good that its going.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I don't think it's wrong or unfair to say, though, that Mickey's Fun Wheel is not in line with the traditional Disney theme park aesthetic, whether you like the Mickey face or not.
    I agree. However under the circumstances I think the Fun Wheel is the right direction to go in.

• Senior Minion

PP would not effectively translate its concept to the audience if it doesn't have a certain amount of over the top kind of tacky theming. I think the idea that the attractions could have been decorated with animated characters is very appropriate to the era and WDI choose a toy that as least is low tech and has a long history as the boardwalk barker and the big five, which are obviously Disney's most vintage looking and beloved characters. This is a idealized Disney version of a boardwalk, thus to me the concept while different then many of DL's lands, I think can work.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    PP would not effectively translate its concept to the audience if it doesn't have a certain amount of over the top kind of tacky theming. I think the idea that the attractions could have been decorated with animated characters is very appropriate to the era and WDI choose a toy that as least is low tech and has a long history as the boardwalk barker and the big five, which are obviously Disney's most vintage looking and beloved characters. This is a idealized Disney version of a boardwalk, thus to me the concept while different then many of DL's lands, I think can work.
    Effective translation? What are they trying to effectively translate? Cheap, tackiness?

It's sad that one of Paradise Pier's billboards more effectively translates an appropriate theme and mood for Paradise Pier than Mickey's Fun Wheel could ever dream of doing:

| | |