Page 123 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2373113120121122123124125126133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2009

• King of Los Angeles

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Yes, but it's bland...I for one think the ferris wheel is just distracting period. you'd get the same feeling with the coaster and boardwalk by TSMM. It's just too close to everything else to not dominate your impression of the land.

• Go DCA, Go! :D

I agree as well, if Paradise Pier looked like that billboard, all of California Adventure would be like Disney Sea. A dark, serious, overly grand type of park. If it is a seaside amusement park, keep it colorful and bright. MFW does that job perfectly. The new sunburst also compliments the area. Finally, the GOTB also bring color and class to Paradise Pier.
    Last edited by MasterGracey1969; 06-25-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey1969 View Post
    I agree as well, if Paradise Pier looked like that billboard, all of California Adventure would be like Disney Sea. A dark, serious, boring type of park. If it is a seaside amusement park, keep it colorful and bright. MFW does that job perfectly. The new sunburst also compliments the area. Finally, the GOTB also bring color and class to Paradise Pier.
    Yes, it would be so awful if DCA were like Tokyo DisneySea.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• is too darn hot.

I agree as well, if Paradise Pier looked like that billboard, all of California Adventure would be like Disney Sea. A dark, serious, boring type of park. If it is a seaside amusement park, keep it colorful and bright. MFW does that job perfectly. The new sunburst also compliments the area. Finally, the GOTB also bring color and class to Paradise Pier.
    Of all the adjectives I've seen used to describe DisneySea, "boring" isn't one of them.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Well, maybe not boring, but not very attractive to me. I don't like the MK for the same reason, it's not intimate enough. I would like to see PP continue to be intimate, and for it to never be this:
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Well, maybe not boring, but not very attractive to me. I don't like the MK for the same reason, it's not intimate enough. I would like to see PP continue to be intimate, and for it to never be this:
    That photo shows me the following: fully-immersive environments, richly detailed showmanship, and evidence that the designers and management took an interest in quality.

None of those things are wholly apparent in Disney's California Adventure, especially in Paradise Pier.

| | |

• Banned User

You're right. I don't like the look of DisneySea for that reason. There seems to be no fun appearance at all.

• Banned User

The dinosaur was typical of American architecture that was themed. I have the book about this type of theming and wish I could find it. Programmatic architecture is also called mimic architecture. It is buildings, water towers and other things that are built to mimic something like Tail O' the Pup mimics the hot dogs they sold.
    Novelty architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Roadside Architecture

Donut Hole,
    Parasol Coffee Shop,

Thus Dinosaur Jack fit the theming of Route 66 and California before the 1970's. I liked him because he represented Californian mimic architecture.

========================================

Why can't Paradise Pier be a land? There is Critter Country, and Asia (AK) so why not have a land called Paradise Pier that is themed around a 1920'3 and 1930's beach front boardwalk and amusement park with Victorian theming. I like it as it is. I do not want another land themed around characters. Cars is a tiny parcel of land so a few rides, shops and restaurants like Bugs land would be fine but not a large area like Ariel themed Paradise Pier, please.

I will wait for news on DCA and hope everything is on track. I am going back in July and want to see the changes. I liked Jack but honestly never shopped there.

Yes, I agree that there is a lot of detail in TDS. However, that billboard, I assume, your idea of Paradise Pier is very bland. Paradise Pier as of now is half Disney-Sea quality and half Six Flags Discovery Kingdom quality. The new GOTB show me:"fully-immersive environments, richly detailed showmanship", and evidence that the project leaders are taking an interest of bringing quality to DCA.
    -jfsebastian

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Effective translation? What are they trying to effectively translate? Cheap, tackiness?

It's sad that one of Paradise Pier's billboards more effectively translates an appropriate theme and mood for Paradise Pier than Mickey's Fun Wheel could ever dream of doing:

Unfortunately, Disney couldn't actually put in an ocean with a beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    That photo shows me the following: fully-immersive environments, richly detailed showmanship, and evidence that the designers and management took an interest in quality.

None of those things are wholly apparent in Disney's California Adventure, especially in Paradise Pier.
    The whole idea of Paradise Pier is fun. There is no showmanship in carnival-style piers, but Disney is successfully creating one and adding Disney charm. Are you sure you just don't like the Paradise Pier theme in general?

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post

The whole idea of Paradise Pier is fun. There is no showmanship in carnival-style piers, but Disney is successfully creating one and adding Disney charm. Are you sure you just don't like the Paradise Pier theme in general?
    -jfsebastian

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post

I really have very little issues with the themes presented in DCA, including Paradise Pier. The issue is, and always will be, execution.

Paradise Pier 2001 was not executed properly. And neither is Paradise Pier 2009.

| | |

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Maybe I am crazy, but Paradise Peir has always reminded me of the scene of Treasue Island in Pinocchio's Daring Journey before you actually enter the carnival area...

So far the execution of Paradise Pier 2009 is stunning, lets go through and tour the Paradise Pier 2009 changes.

-Mickey's Fun Wheel:very bright and clean looking, and appealing to families. Beautiful lighting. Sad about the pit still being there, but it might come when the economic reccesion ends (Phase 2).

-King Trition's Carousel: cleaner looking, nice nighttime lights, also another victim of the economy.

-Games of the Boardwalk:very detailed, clean, and has that Disney charm.

-Sunburst:ties up the theme of Paradise Pier (Fun in the sun for everyone)

-New Sign on CS: much better than that industrial Mickey head.

-TSMM: the jewel of Paradise Pier has amazing attention to detail, spectacular popcorn lighting, and very fun to ride. Sad I could only experience it once.

Looks to me like everything within the power of the WDI has been executed just fine so far.
    -jfsebastian

• Banned User

So far the execution of Paradise Pier 2009 is stunning, lets go through and tour the Paradise Pier 2009 changes.

-Mickey's Fun Wheel:very bright and clean looking, and appealing to families. Beautiful lighting. Sad about the pit still being there, but it might come when the economic reccesion ends (Phase 2).

-King Trition's Carousel: cleaner looking, nice nighttime lights, also another victim of the economy.

-Games of the Boardwalk:very detailed, clean, and has that Disney charm.

-Sunburst:ties up the theme of Paradise Pier (Fun in the sun for everyone)

-New Sign on CS: much better than that industrial Mickey head.

-TSMM: the jewel of Paradise Pier has amazing attention to detail, spectacular popcorn lighting, and very fun to ride. Sad I could only experience it once.

Looks to me like everything within the power of the WDI has been executed just fine so far.
    These are all reasons why I am loving the DCA project. Hopefully DCA becomes as detailed and themed as DisneySea, but with a better appeal.