Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516233863113 ... LastLast

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Maybe some trees would help too, but even that might not be enough.
    Isn't there suppose to be some trees and other foliage added to PP? Does anyone know when, now that MFW is finished, the games are done, and the loop is redressed? Would they add new foliage to that half of the pier that is complete, or would that look awkwardly disproportional?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KJ777 View Post
    Isn't there suppose to be some trees and other foliage added to PP? Does anyone know when, now that MFW is finished, the games are done, and the loop is redressed? Would they add new foliage to that half of the pier that is complete, or would that look awkwardly disproportional?
    There's only so much vegetation that can be added and still look like a seaside California pier. A few more lines of palm trees, perhaps, and there's always the future beer garden area which has potential for some new greenery.

• Senior Minion

Supposedly there are many more trees coming to the pier, but I agree that they have to be careful with that area, because it might not look good to have too many trees in the boardwalk area. I'm sure that area will get a few, but the north and west areas are suppose to get many new trees. That's why I think a bigger queue building and more trees as well as the larger carousel building would all help create a "berm" behind Screamin's eastern helix, but alone any of those probably wouldn't do it without looking weird.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Can Only Wish For More!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The main corridors obvioulsy would not change but the shape of the park would. Gates were specifically added throughout the original layout so that expansion would be easier.

also each land had specific areas designed with landscaping to fill in future attraction plots.
    Example, please. The only "gate" I can think of besides the turnstiles would be the Tower one and the other one where the "Cars movie land" will be.

"Cars movie land" is my bad idea for a name.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I've received some new information and updated entries in the OP accordingly. Here's the new information, which was derived from a couple sources.

May 26, 2009: Construction walls go up around Golden Dreams to begin Little Mermaid construction.

June 1, 2009: Golden Dreams construction walls extend down Route 66 to Dinosaur Jack's Sunglass Shack. Dinosaur Jack's space will become extended queue for Goofy's Sky Skool.

Early January 2010: Mullholland Madness closes, Buena Vista Street construction begins. Buena Vista Street will result in the closure of two Main Entrance Ticket Booths.

World of Color: Guest Control CM planning is looking at 5-6 leads and 35 CMs for the show.

----

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Adventure and Mermaid Grotto (Includes Removal of Golden Dreams)
    Project Status: Golden Dreams closed to the public September 7. Attraction open to school groups only through Spring 2009. Golden Dreams removal and construction to begin May 26, 2009 following completion of new San Francisco Street restrooms.
    Open Date: May 2011
    Dinosaur Jack's Sunglass Shack
    Details: Sunglass store scheduled to close permanently May 26, 2009. It is unknown at this time if the retail location will be rethemed or if it will be removed to make room for future development.
    Project Status: Store closes May 26, 2009, construction walls go up June 1.
    Corn Dog Castle retheming
    Project Status: To begin when construction walls go up June 1, 2009
    Open Date: Cast Member publications currently list it as returning June 2011, but that date may be in flux and can change.
    Souvenir 66 retheming
    Details: Project includes retheming and renaming retail location as Seaside Souvenirs
    Project Status: To begin when construction walls go up June 1, 2009
    Open Date: Cast Member publications currently list it as returning June 2011, but that date may be in flux and can change.
    Mullholland Madness re-theme to Goofy's Sky Skool
    Project Status: Starts early January 2010
    Open Date: 2010

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

There are many other gates, though I'm not sure which specifically Baloo was talking about because some I wouldn't think would be expansion areas. There are two near ToT actually, there's also just a wall at the back of the wharf which was obviously planned to be ripped out and the one at the back of PP. All those areas were probably planned for expansion. Then there are many that I don't think are for expansion, just vehicle access. One near the winery, one one the west of Soarin', one for the parade near the sun plaza, and probably a few more I'm not thinking of.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    not sure what you mean but maybe i should have been a bit more specific.

The main corridors obvioulsy would not change but the shape of the park would. Gates were specifically added throughout the original layout so that expansion would be easier.

also each land had specific areas designed with landscaping to fill in future attraction plots.

I dunno, but I'm just not buying the whole "DCA was meant to have its layout changed" story. Is that why the place blew when it opened? Is that why the theme park is completely unbalanced?

Disneyland wasn't the visual feast that it is now, but the lands basically stayed exactly where they are. Frontierland shrunk, but that's not the same as having layout changed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

I am... expansion pads have been built in other Disney parks, and I'm sure even with Pressler and Harris, they wanted to expand the park.

I was at DL today (birthday! - and boy do the CMs and other guests say Happy Birthday a lot if you wear your pin! I mean a lot! ). Anyhow, some of this may have been mentioned in previous posts - I did a cursory search.

Fun Wheel was open and looks gorgeous, though the concrete queue is still disappointing - wish that beautiful pier had been built around it. The construction views from the top are spectacular! I guess it wasn't just a soft opening but the actual opening?

I didn't know this before but they're framing out a fountain at the corner of TLM, WoC and the Wharf area.

They've started building the boardwalk extension in front of the WoC viewing area. Started on the western side and had about a 10th of it laid out.

They also started filling the circular footings near California Screamin's launch area. Do we still not know exactly what this is for? They had done about 4 or 5 of the circular bases and probably finished the rest today. They didn't seem to have rebar sticking out of the top - they were flush with the bottom of the bay, but I was viewing that from the top of the Fun Wheel, so I might have missed some details.

Didn't realize how little of the Timon Lot is left. With WoC prep work and the new construction on the east side of the lot, there's only about half of it left for parking. Just start ripping it up for Cars Land now!
    Last edited by Mojave; 05-05-2009 at 12:05 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I am... expansion pads have been built in other Disney parks, and I'm sure even with Pressler and Harris, they wanted to expand the park.

Oh expansion definitely. They definitely were intending for the park to be added upon.... but the layout is still a complete mess. It will change for sure. It has to.

Did I read Baloo's post wrong? I guess I read that he said they built the park knowing full well that the layout would be changing. And by that, they knew that they were going to redo the entire entrance? They knew they'd have to redo all of Paradise Pier and Hollywood Backlot and change the Farm into Bug's Land?

Did they really build DCA with that intent?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Wow, great mini trip report there Mojave, and Happy Birthday! I'm excited they are starting on the boardwalk extension, it looked like the were getting close to being ready.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    Example, please. The only "gate" I can think of besides the turnstiles would be the Tower one and the other one where the "Cars movie land" will be.

"Cars movie land" is my bad idea for a name.
    I'd like to point out that it won't be called "Cars Movie Land" but it will simply be called "Carsland".

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanGiant View Post
    7.8% done Whoo!
    how did you figure that out?
    i am so excited i think once Fun Wheel and silly symphony is up and WoC is done things will move super fast!!

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post

They've started building the boardwalk extension in front of the WoC viewing area. Started on the western side and had about a 10th of it laid out.
    In pictures that pier additon to the viewing area seems to come awful close to the Zephyr. Maybe in person it's not that close.

[quote - Originally Posted by Mojave] Didn't realize how little of the Timon Lot is left. With WoC prep work and the new construction on the east side of the lot, there's only about half of it left for parking. Just start ripping it up for Cars Land now! [quote]

Parking is becoming a regular problem for the DLR it seems. The lots seem to fill up very quickly. Wonder when the long rumored 2nd parking deck will finally be added? I would imagine they will need it with the increased business they expect from the DCA expansion.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Ive heard rumors about limiting the ammount of pyrotecnics to avoid the situation Disneyland has, where they are forced to shut down rides while the show is going. Considering its Paradise Pier, Disney does not want to shut down these rides and will stick to low level stuff and limited ammounts. I heard that smoke was an issue as well. Probobly again for the rides.
    Now I heard that they will be closing PP during WOC.