Page 63 of 134 FirstFirst ... 133853606162636465667388113 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    They went the safe route and built DLP's Main Street with that same lofty Victorian style as Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom's Main Street.
    Were they afraid of how the French would react to the 1920s architecture?

Why Wasn't It Built?
    Apparently, Michael Eisner ended up watching a gangster film set in the period the Imagineers wanted to reproduce, and was shocked at how violent the era was portrayed as. Not wanting to associate Disney with that kind of activity, he instructed the Imagineers to go back to the turn of the century American Main Street. Some changes were made however; instead of a small town, the Disneyland Paris Main Street portrayed a small city, with large billboards raised above the shops and grand arcades on either side of the street.

Later, despite how well the Main Street USA at Disneyland Paris was done, Eisner apparently remarked that he made a mistake in cancelling the 1920ís Main Street, explaining that it wasnít a good idea to try to sell Victoriana back to the people that invented it.
    The Neverland Files: 1920s Main Street USA

One thing I would like to add, is that it looks like Buena Vista Street will also feature billboards over the street, another aspect of the DLP Main Street, concept and realized.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I believe they did follow through with much of the '20's concept, as I recall some of the businesses focused on early automobiles.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    The Elevated tramway has been reborn as the Red Car Trolleys.
    The Red Car idea actually predates Disneyland Paris. It was an idea pitched for the initial building of the Disney-MGM Studios and then even the Sunset Boulevard expansion. Those projects were headed by the very same Imagineer who was brought back to redo Disney's California Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    According to Eddie Sotto, posting on another message board, there was some concern about the gangster elements that were planned. Cost was also an issue. Many of the facades at Disneyland Paris are very similar to those at the Magic Kingdom. What Sotto and his team did was add layers to make it seem as if time really had passed. Disneyland Paris' Main Street really is something amazing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Since it's reopen, time to take Triton's Carousel out of black and into grey, or are we still waiting for hope that plusses are coming in the future?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Diva Extrodinaire

As great as it would be to reomdel the carousel, I doubt it will happen this year. However, if they ax the Maliboomer, they could make a lush and pretty Vicotrian arden and have the carousel in the center.

Even better move Jumpin' Jellyfish to the final helix and theme it to hot air balloons. That barren city of weeds is scary
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    As great as it would be to reomdel the carousel, I doubt it will happen this year. However, if they ax the Maliboomer, they could make a lush and pretty Vicotrian arden and have the carousel in the center.

Even better move Jumpin' Jellyfish to the final helix and theme it to hot air balloons. That barren city of weeds is scary
    EXACTLY what i was thinking. Im really hoping that w/ the supposed removal of the maliboomer, they will move the carousel there and add a victorian overlay to it; there is a lot of room there to do it. Personally, if they ever do get around to remodeling king triton's carousel, i would MUCH rather see horses like the ones used in king arthur's carousel than cheap looking sea creatures. Sure sea creatures fit a SEASIDE pier theme, but most piers ive seen/been to have carousels use horses instead of sea creatures.

• Launch sequence engaged

I'm also very eager to see King Arthur's Carousel given a Victorian overlay. As it stands now, Knott's Berry Farm has a better-looking Carousel than DCA's, which is unacceptable given Knott's overall apathy towards aesthetics over the past decade.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

Its nice to get some new pics again. Thanks for the Update its great

It looks like they are painting/ staining the cement with that same color/ protectant as we saw in the tower close to screamin' its looking really nice, especially with the extended pier. If only we had an extended pier somewhere else (cough cough MFW) but thats old news.

Three major events I'm looking forward to... and 1 happens this week! Walls up for the entrance rebuild, tearing out asphalt for Cars Land and...

Walls going up around Golden Dreams, Dinosaur Jack's, Corndog Castle and Souvenir 66. And that should happen as early as tomorrow but surely by June 1! Sweet!

I'm really interested in how parades will be handled down "wall alley" - that is between the walls for WoC and the walls for TLM. Looks to be quite narrow.

• I'm not really here

Constructionland gets a plussing

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Walls going up around Golden Dreams, Dinosaur Jack's, Corndog Castle and Souvenir 66. And that should happen as early as tomorrow but surely by June 1! Sweet!
    There beginning construction on Little Mermaid on June 1st? Is the ride going to be opening sooner or will it still take two years to make?

I'm very excited about the Mermaid ride becaues in my head im expecting a Tokyo Disney heavily themed AA extravaganza. Like a dark ride version of Splash Mountain. It's still kinda wierd its going in DCA though (it should be built in Fantasyland).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    There beginning construction on Little Mermaid on June 1st? Is the ride going to be opening sooner or will it still take two years to make?

I'm very excited about the Mermaid ride becaues in my head im expecting a Tokyo Disney heavily themed AA extravaganza. Like a dark ride version of Splash Mountain. It's still kinda wierd its going in DCA though (it should be built in Fantasyland).
    Well, walls are supposed to go up around Golden Dreams tomorrow, though you'd have to check with MasterGracey to see if that's still accurate (or wait til tomorrow, I guess). But the other areas are supposed to get walls on June 1 and I can't see why they'd not do them all at the same time.

Still, walls going up doesn't mean demolition of Golden Dreams will happen right away. I assume they haven't gutted the place yet, plus they probably will unplant trees, etc. first.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post

The Little Mermaid is aiming for a May 2011 open date. Remember, the construction that will begin in June includes demolition of the existing Golden Dreams Theater and the old San Francisco Street restrooms and then the construction of an entirely new show building.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Three major events I'm looking forward to... and 1 happens this week! Walls up for the entrance rebuild, tearing out asphalt for Cars Land and...

I'm really interested in how parades will be handled down "wall alley" - that is between the walls for WoC and the walls for TLM. Looks to be quite narrow.

Can't wait to see all of this. It will be amazing with all the construction going on! Hopefully we'll be able to get some good photos from up on MFW.