Page 64 of 134 FirstFirst ... 143954616263646566677489114 ... LastLast

• Member; Mousketeer

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I'm very excited about the Mermaid ride becaues in my head im expecting a Tokyo Disney heavily themed AA extravaganza. It's still kinda wierd its going in DCA though (it should be built in Fantasyland).
    Though The Little Mermaid attraction
    would best appropriately be fitted in Fantasyland,
    still, considering that this dark ride
    is going to be the most elaborate ones ever
    created, there does not seem to be enough
    room for it across the esplanade.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    Though The Little Mermaid attraction
    would best appropriately be fitted in Fantasyland,
    still, considering that this dark ride
    is going to be the most elaborate ones ever
    created, there does not seem to be enough
    room for it across the esplanade.
    So far, I think that the Spiderman Adventure at IOA is the most elaborate "dark ride" ever created.

• is too darn hot.

I somehow missed this new project tracker?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I somehow missed this new project tracker?
    I don't know how that happened, but welcome!

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    So far, I think that the Spiderman Adventure at IOA is the most elaborate "dark ride" ever created.
    I meant, from the context, one of the most
    elaborate dark rides that Disney has
    ever produced.

And the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
    attraction falls under the category
    of a motion simulator ride.
    Last edited by Rob™; 05-25-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: punctuation; grammar

HUGE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! So i was talking to my friend who is a cm at disneyland, and he was talking to some other cm's and found out that world of color might be opening holiday 09!!! Apparently, they are trying to get fantasmic leads to commit now to go over to work world of color, and disney is saying they are trying to push for a holiday 09 debut. In fact, disney has promised the contractors a big bonus if they finish early enough to do that!! I would be SOOOOOOO ecstatic if world of color opened this year. We'll see what happens.....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DlandresortCalifan View Post
    HUGE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! So i was talking to my friend who is a cm at disneyland, and he was talking to some other cm's and found out that world of color might be opening holiday 09!!! Apparently, they are trying to get fantasmic leads to commit now to go over to work world of color, and disney is saying they are trying to push for a holiday 09 debut. In fact, disney has promised the contractors a big bonus if they finish early enough to do that!! I would be SOOOOOOO ecstatic if world of color opened this year. We'll see what happens.....
    As cool as that sounds, that is highly impossible. A show this complex is going to take many months of testing. I don't think it's a matter of just finishing construction and opening it up. They have to do countless testing fixing bugs and programing the show. But who knows, Disney is famous for making magic and getting things done until the very last minute.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Because it is more based on jets of water, lights and that sort of thing, as long as everything works relatively well once the lake is refilled, it shouldn't take a tonne of time to test. Its not like there are live actors, watercraft and all that tied in which take more time to choreograph.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Spider-Man is a great ride and it's in the dark. But it's not a "dark ride" in the way Disney defines the term.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Spiderman is more in the genre of Star Tours or Soarin than a dark ride,in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    As cool as that sounds, that is highly impossible. A show this complex is going to take many months of testing. I don't think it's a matter of just finishing construction and opening it up. They have to do countless testing fixing bugs and programing the show. But who knows, Disney is famous for making magic and getting things done until the very last minute.
    well we will see. It does seem highly improbable but i mean....its obvious that disney really wants to get this show out becuz they know it will draw in huge crowds which will equal more revenue for DCA. obviously there is still a lot left to be done but there has already been SOOO much progress made in the lagoon and it seems every week there is always big progress going on. and holiday 09 means most likely the christmas season at the resort which starts thanksgiving weekend, so we have about 6-7 months left of construction. who knows, the construction workers may feel getting a big bonus if they finish it early is a big enough incentive to worker faster to complete it. only time will tell....

• Thinking about doughnuts

TECH STUFF!!!
    Here are some new pictures of the World Of Color construction taken on 5/22/09. Some of the more interesting pictures are discussed below. All the pictures may be seen at recursivemacro : photos : 5-22-09.

Okay, excuses go first. Some of these pictures had to be shot late in the day in low light. That makes them noisy. I also shot some from the Golden Zephyr late in the day. They double suck. Okay - they triple suck (the better ones do, anyway). It's not a good idea to shoot long telephoto shots from a moving spaceship (is that what they are?) with dim light. The real reason I'm at DCA is to work on my video of the Aladdin show. I've been putting together an edited video of Aladdin since last year when there were rumors that the show was about to be cancelled. I'm one of those loons on MiceChat who has some silly Disneyland (okay DCA) project. Mine's to make the best quality video of the Aladdin show I can manage with most of my favorite cast members. It cuts back and forth between closeups and wide shots. It has manual exposure control. It has decent sound. Actually it has an excellent recording of overamplified theme park sound. Oh well. It's a fun project if you want to learn video editing. But between changing casts and problems shooting from the audience with a consumer camcorder (canon HV30), I have to shoot the show pretty often to improve the quality of my video. I know it sounds nuts. But c'mon. You're about to look at a bunch of pictures of pumps and hoses. Those who live in glass houses, eh? Anyhow, my only chance to take WOC pictures is to use the little available time before the first show or after the last one. Sometimes I have time in the middle. So that's why some of the pictures are crap. I prefer my pictures to be suckless but that gets difficult when you're shooting long telephotos with very low light especially if you're in a moving spaceship. Okay. End of excuses for picture quality. Beginning of tech stuff!

You can click any of the pictures (unfortunately including the sucky ones) to see the full resolution pictures.

Sealing and painting the towers

As some people have been suggesting, it looks like the towers are first sealed with something transparent. I thought earlier that was a faux stone look but they then cover it with black paint. I think the clear stuff looks better but so it goes.

Viewing area construction

Lots of green pipe is being buried in the viewing area near the Golden Zephyr. I don't know about how much you need for drainage but that's a lot of pipes. Maybe this has something to do with the effects which are supposed to happen in the audience. Or maybe not.

I've been searching but can't find the original post where the designer of the WOC show alluded to effects within the audience. Maybe somebody has a link to it. So I don't know if they've said specifically what the affects are. I'm hoping it's not lots of water. I'm not that fond of the Pixar Play Parade because it can shoot you in the eye with water. That happened to me once. Helpful info for parade designers: parades are supposed to be fun - not painful. Hopefully the WOC audience effects won't include fire. Of course, they could do the fire part first quickly followed by Pixar Play Parade type water effects to put out anyone in the audience they ignited.

By the way, I'm informed by my brother whose neighborhood is currently getting new water supply pipes that this stuff looks exactly the same as what they're installing. This kind of pipe can apparently be used for water supply lines. In any case, they're putting down lots of green pipes in the audience area.

The big black pipe

Nothing new here but I showed these pictures to my brother (the same one whose neighborhood is dug up). He has a machine shop with a huge compressor for shop air. I asked him what he thought. He saw the black deck and tan beams and immediately said "Oh, yea. That's Extren stuff. It's fiberglass. And those grates cut your shoes to pieces if they put the sharp side up." He could have saved me a lot of time taking pictures of tiny labels. He used to work at General Atomics as a machinist. I got to see a fusion Tokomac once. It was big and scary looking.

To him, the big black pipe didn't look anything like an air supply. As the PSI goes up and down, a flexible supply pipe expands and contracts a little. Our very flexible pipe might expand and contract quite a bit. Over time that cracks things. The metal bands holding the pipe onto the supports would crack over time. Plus the joints in the pipe might not be happy about the stress over the long haul. Basically, it didn't look to him like an air supply.

He thought the black pipe could be the gas supply for the fire effects because that's very low PSI. It would have to be large to carry enough gas because of the low pressure.

New tubing connections

This is an image I shot from the Golden Zephyr. This is the best of a sucky set of pictures. The rest are worse. You have to look at the original resolution to appreciate its true suckiness. But back to the point. As other folks' pictures have shown, they're connecting things together on the deck with black hose. According to some labels it looks like it's 150 PSI hose.

In looking through the connections pictures, I noticed something I'd missed earlier: there are actually two different kinds of vertical jets. There are plain jets and pumped jets.

These are the plain jets. Click the picture to see the original resolution version. After sifting through some WET design patents I'd guess these things are air-powered water canons.

Basically, WET design water canons load water into the barrel of the canon, pressurize an air tank to a given pressure, and then open a valve to connect the air tank to the the bottom of the barrel. That fires the water upwards like a canon. The more pressure in the air tank, the higher the water goes.

I took a quick look at some of WET design's patents and didn't find anything which matched ours. But the thing does have two valves. In the leftmost plain jet image, the valve closer to the jet barrel looks like the valve which lets water into the barrel. The part on the left supported by the gray thing looks like where the water would enter. It has an open end and it looks like there's a mesh strainer at its end to filter the incoming water. The valve on the right of the leftmost picture looks like where they would connect an external air tank to power the thing. Each jet at the Bellagio can set its height independently so each jet would need its own tank. At least that's how the old design in the patent works. To me it looks like the air valve is on the wrong side of the water valve so I'm not sure I've really got it right. I think it should be on the other side of the water value. Plus I don't know why what the water input is so long. Maybe it's a motorized pump.

These are the pumped jets. These are the ones connected to the Grundfos 475 GPM well pumps. The well pumps are designed to lift water out of wells so they only pump in one direction. In a well, the motor is at the bottom and the pump is above the motor and the water comes out the top of the pump. That's the end which is hooked to the five output manifold. Each of those five outputs is connected to the water input on a pumped jet. So the well pump pushes water into the water inputs for five pumped jets.

Other than the water input side of the jet, both kinds of jets are basically the same. You can see some small differences like the fact that the water valve solenoid (or whatever it is) is larger on the pump jets than the plain jets. But other than that they're the same. I'd guess that the point of using a well pump to pump water into the water inputs of the pump jets is to increase the firing rate. The jets described in the old patent just used a flapper valve and air rising out the top of the jet to refill the jet barrel with water. But a well pump could force water in the barrels much faster. If they can quickly fill the air tank which fires the thing then they could fire it more often.

475 gallons/minute divided five ways is 95 gallons per minute or about 1.6 gallons per second per pump jet. I guess you could use that to shoot the jets. I haven't gone to the trouble of figuring out the exact size of the nozzles and calculating the muzzle velocity at that rate. So I suppose you could use the pump to just squirt water out the top of the thing. But then there's the issue of how you'd use a shared pump to give individual height control to each of the five jets connected to it. I suppose the water valves could be set proportionally to give some control over that. But if the pumped jets used only the pump to move water then I'd think they'd only need one valve rather than two. On top of which the pump jets have a currently unconnected input just like the plain jets. What's that for if you're just using a well pump to squirt water?

These WET design guys have been building these things for a while and they've settled on air canons to get a lot of height. So I think the well pumps are just there to force water into the jet barrels faster to increase the firing rate.

You can see in this picture that the jets at the front of the platform are plain jets. Once more of the pump jets are connected it will be a lot easier to see what kind of jets are in what positions.

New boxes connected to blue pipes

If you've looked carefully at the previous pictures then you've probably noticed those little metal boxes on the ends of the blue pipes. You can see some on the right side of this picture. There's one at the bottom which doesn't have a box connected yet. The boxes look like they thread onto a fitting at the end of the blue pipe.

The blue pipe is probably this stuff. It's pretty thick-walled tubing.

Each side of the box has five holes which appear to be threaded. My brother (the one with a compressor the size of a refrigerator) suggested that this might be for pressurized air distribution. The box is a manifold which allows twenty air hoses to be connected. The reason there's a box is to provide a local air reservoir as the various things turn on and off. The box acts like a small local air tank to level out changes in air pressure. If you look at the jets carefully there appear to be a couple of threaded connections which are the same size as the holes in the new connection boxes. While reading through WET's patents they seemed to push the idea of using as little electrical connections as possible and use air pressure controls where possible. Those valves on the jets may be air actuated rather than plain old solenoids. In which case they'll need lots of local air pressure connections for the jets.

Or maybe the boxes are for something completely different. This is MiceChat. Rumors and guessing are accepted practice around here. I'd guess they're supplying air for the jets and whatever else needs it. Feel free to come up with your own guesses. We'll find out for sure when they connect them to something.

OBOY! Something new!

I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of looking at pictures like this. The best stuff is always covered up. It's mean.

Well, I finally got lucky. For a couple of hours last Friday that picture looked a bit different.

It looked like this. As official discoverer I claim naming rights. I've selected "Big Boy".

NO! I DON'T MEAN THE GUY CARRYING THE BUCKETS!

Okay, to reduce further confusion let's just call it the big tank.

I took pictures from every available angle. Let's face it. This is the most interesting thing to show up for a while.

And before you ask: no, I couldn't read the label on the thing. It's too far away even with a giant white lens.

Yup. That's a lot of pictures. Even centerfolds don't usually get that kind of coverage. I was lucky I got these. I took these pictures before the first Aladdin show. By the time I got back from taping Aladdin the big tank was covered again. BOO!!!

So what is it? Hmmmmm.

First of all, it's taller than the jets. I don't know how far the jets could sit below the water surface and still get lots of height but you'd guess water level won't be that far above their nozzles. So if they stick the big tank directly to the platform then its top will stick out of the water by quite a bit. It's got a quite a few valves, a pressure guage, and some hose. You can't tell if something else goes on top of it but right now it looks like a large tank with a relatively smaller nozzle at the top. Oh, and it's built like a tank. I don't mean a gas holding tank - I mean like one with treads. And then there's that large pipe on the side which connects the upper part of the tank to the lower part. And if you look carefully, next to the pressure guage there's a little blue lever which looks like it controls a shutoff valve. I don't want to jump to conclusions but I've seen valves like that used as gas shutoff valves. Or maybe it's something different.

My brother whose been a good guesser so far thinks it's a fireball generator. The idea is that you fill it with gas and ignite it and a large fireball shoots out of the top. I sure hope he's right. It looks like there's ten of these things so I'd like to see them lit all at once.

Anyhow, it's getting late so I'm going to stop speculating. If you guys can tear yourself away from studying bathroom pictures perhaps someone else can come up some interesting guesses.

Have fun!

Tomasina
    Oh. And as a change of pace I'm adding some Tomasina construction pictures. Technically, she plays Disneyland rather than DCA but who's counting?

Yup. She's definitely well constructed.
    Last edited by Macro; 05-26-2009 at 12:01 PM.

In case anyone reads Mint Crocodiles blog and is interested...

It seems that the new float for Disney's Electrical Parade was being tested tonight. And once again, Mint just happened to be at the right place at the right time to snap some pics.

I don't want to post the picture because some may want to wait until its grand debut.

But for those that want to see the pics, head over to the

Pictures of the New Float

• Pilot EdForceOne

Most awesome Macro. Kudos on getting the first shots of the big boy!

Thanks for pointing out the boxes on the blue pipes. I had not seen those yet. The discussion on the air control was interesting... so I thought maybe this was a control 'node' to connect to the jets. But this looks purely like a supply manifold. In some of your photos, you can see the silver box is essentially empty.. you can see right through it. Maybe it's an airsupply and there will be actuators somewhere externally.. but I'm wondering if this is another part of the gas distribution network. The smaller diameter stuff makes me think gas or control as you elude to.

On big boy... I'd follow your brother here I concur with the idea of a reservoir with a jet on top. From this photo
    recursivemacro : photos : 5-22-09

You can see a band in the tank right above the label. That, with the valve and connector pipe makes me think it's a two celled tank with the U pipe being the connector between them with your valve assembly on that to control the release from the reservoir. The straight section popping out of the tank looks like the supply line possibly? With it and the top both being taped off they are prime suspects for in/out.

As for the size... I think we simply haven't seen the final resting places of these guys. They could be mounted below the platform yet, and there obviously is something that will be mounted to the top of the tanks yet. So my guess is they are simply sitting here and will be dropped into sections under the platform that haven't been cut out yet.

Good job on noting the different jet hookups so far too. I think they'll still have individual control from the hardware at each jet, but maybe these simply need less flow and therefore can share a supply pump vs. some other show elements which need much much more and therefore get their own. Of course, simply the nozzle itself could alter that need greatly.

Regardless.. I think it goes to show just how much planning has to be done all well before any of this broke ground to lay out and engineer this bad boy. Water Fountain it is not.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Three major events I'm looking forward to... and 1 happens this week! Walls up for the entrance rebuild, tearing out asphalt for Cars Land and...

Where exactly are the CarsLand walls going up?
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.