Page 80 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3055707778798081828390105130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2009

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Unfortunately that's not true. The schedule is still aimed for a spring opening. Now, yes, construction needs to be done by winter to allow enough time for rehearsal and programming.
    HEEEYY!! I know u! In fact, I met you at dland when i went w/ my friend who works there. He told me ur micechat name. my friend knows u too, but i wont reveal his name, or yours ;D But anyways thats just what my friend told me. he could've been kidding for all i know.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

There will certainly be lot of clutter under the water - that's for sure.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Fastest Man Alive

Yeah, I get the feeling that when they refill it, it will be with opaque 'dark water' rather than the clear water over by Pacific Wharf so they can better hide all the 'stuff'.

• Not-So-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    So whatever it is extends from the Screamin' launch to MFW. Likely not for rocks since they have those already. And they're not removing the rocks before putting in the footings.

It's got to be some kind of low catwalk.
    That's my guess as well. Could be for those pipe/cable trays going the same direction.
    -Chris

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo1221 View Post
    That's my guess as well. Could be for those pipe/cable trays going the same direction.
    I doubt it's for the trays, their support system is totally different than what this looks like. But who knows.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Not-So-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I doubt it's for the trays, their support system is totally different than what this looks like. But who knows.
    Ah no, I mean if it was for a catwalk, the catwalk could be for the trays, for maintenance and such.

But you're right, who knows.
    -Chris

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo1221 View Post
    Ah no, I mean if it was for a catwalk, the catwalk could be for the trays, for maintenance and such.

But you're right, who knows.
    Ah, I get it now. Yeah, could be. Wish they'd start doing something with it all soon though so we could stop agonizing over what it is for.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Ah, I get it now. Yeah, could be. Wish they'd start doing something with it all soon though so we could stop agonizing over what it is for.
    Agonizing is our middle name. When this puzzle is solved, yet another and another will pop up to agonize over. The real agony will come when there's nothing left to agonize over.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Agonizing is our middle name. When this puzzle is solved, yet another and another will pop up to agonize over. The real agony will come when there's nothing left to agonize over.
    I hope there's something made of wood nearby that you can knock on Mojave.

First of all I want to know if it is weird that after the many times visiting DCA, i cant remember even looking once at this mural.

Maybe its because this ride is thematically that unimpressive.

Sorry that that was way off topic. But back to WOC... Remember the HUGE ditch behind the platform, well i was browzin around and saw this:

There is a big pipe there that i hadn't noticed before (maybe its been there but i didn't see it) ANY GUESSES?
    My only logical guess is that it could be used as an extra water reservoir, and be used as the main water source (even though the entire area is filled with water) This hole could sustain a large volume of water that could be used for the show, and be pumped up to all the small elements of the show. I just constantly question how they will manage the water level with all those jets.

here's the whole photoupdate on [Link to unauthorized site removed]: http://www.[Link to unauthorized site removed].net/updates.php?updateCD=060109
    Last edited by Smontalvo1489; 06-01-2009 at 01:33 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Smontalvo1489 View Post
    My only logical guess is that it could be used as an extra water reservoir, and be used as the main water source (even though the entire area is filled with water) This hole could sustain a large volume of water that could be used for the show, and be pumped up to all the small elements of the show.
    Only if that hole were covered - and the way the concrete poured to make it would not support that theory.

I think its for a large show element which needs more clearance..
    Last edited by flynnibus; 06-01-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I dunno. I could see the main water intake being down there. Possibly they will run a screen over the top to prevent debris from getting down there. It would also avoid surface turblulance over an intake seeing as it is so low down.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    I dunno. I could see the main water intake being down there. Possibly they will run a screen over the top to prevent debris from getting down there. It would also avoid surface turblulance over an intake seeing as it is so low down.
    Surface turbulence won't be a problem. With 2400 fountains and jets going off during the show there is going to be plenty of turbulence already.

Depth isn't an issue for the intake as everything will be pumped anyway. I think this is a show elements location.

• Thinking about doughnuts

TECH STUFF!

Below are some of the images from 5/29/05. Don't expect a lot of sun. We're in a "May gray/June gloom" period. Sometimes it's like this for a month or two. Hopefully it will be sunny again soon. Sun certainly makes it easier to take pictures. And they look more cheery. You can see the full gallery of images here. Click on any picture below to see the full resolution image.

Not that much has changed at World Of Color lately. But there's still a few new things here and there.

They're still doing major work on the spectator area.

The support trays at the back of the platform are getting rather elaborate.

The supports are triple deckers at the end near California Screamin'.

That's more interesting looking than many sculptures I've seen. If they built cars to fit on these things they could make a multi-lane wild mouse coaster out of it. Or maybe some kind of slide ride.

Vertical jets on the platform

Remember that there's two kinds of jets: plain and pumped. A well pump is connected to a five port manifold which pumps water into five pumped jets. Then there's the plain jets which have nothing connected to their water inputs.

The plain jets at the front of the platform look the same until you look closely. There's a metal cylinder next to each jet. At first I thought they might be air tanks. I can't really see through the camera's viewfinder that well. It's hard to see through those things when you wear glasses. I often don't notice things until I check the pictures later.

There's a white cap covering one end of each metal cylinder. The cap looks like a small version of the white caps covering one end of the large submersible motors which connect to the well pumps.

Fortunately there's a motor with the white cap removed in the center of this picture. It's clearly a small submersible motor. The cylindrical something-er-other on the water input of each plain jet is actually a pump. Four bolts hold the small cylindrical motor onto the end of the pump.

So it's time to rename the jets: there's the shared pump jets, and the individually pumped jets. As for why some of the jets share a much larger pump and some of them have their own pump, well...

One thing to take into account is that it's okay to operate a well pump when the water has nowhere to go. That happens if you turn on the pump but the water input valve is shut. The pump doesn't blow up. It cavitates. So there's no problem leaving the pumps running when all connected jet input valves are closed. At least that's what I'm told.

It's also worth noting that the water input valves on the shared pump jets are much larger than the valves on the individually pumped jets. And the diameter of the connection between the output of that valve and the jet barrel is also larger on the shared pump jets. So basically, the shared pump jets look like they can handle a larger volume of water than the individually pumped jets. But then if the pump pressure is different then maybe that evens out the differences. I don't know. I'm a programmer, not a mechanical engineer.

I've looked for serial numbers on the new small motors but couldn't find any. They must have been in the thoroughly painted boxes. There were some that I never could heist serial numbers from. I did find a serial number for a motor which was 15 HP rather than the 30 HP ones I saw earlier. But that was still a motor for the 6 inch well pumps. These new small motors and the pumps attached to the water input for each individually pumped jet look rather small compared to the giant pump and motor used by the five shared jets. But it would take some more time to try to guess about pump rate differences between the two. I've got work to do. Oh well.

And you need to remember that both kinds of jets have both a water input valve and another valve which controls what appears to be a gas input which has yet to be connected. And confusingly, the gas input value is not between the water input valve and the jet barrel where you'd expect it to be for an air canon. The gas input valve is on the input side of the water input valve so it appears that if you open the gas input valve, for individually pumped jets the gas would go into the pump and for shared pumped jets the gas would go into the tube connecting the five port manifold to the water inputs. Maybe there's a one-way valve hidden in there we can't see. Or maybe the gas input valve only appears to be on the wrong side of the water input valve and there's a hidden path which actually connects the gas between the water input valve and the jet barrel. It's a mystery.

One possibility is that the jets operate in two modes: squirt mode and canon mode. Squirt mode would be continuous with the pumps forcing water out through the jets. Canon mode would use standard air canon firings and the pumps would increase the firing rate by filling the jets with water quicker. The dual valve configuration and still unconnected input make them more complicated that just squirt mode jets. But the valve configuration looks odd so it's hard to know what's going on with the non-squirt mode. Maybe they're mixing propane (or whatever) with the water so it's a water/fire jet but then where's the igniter? And do you really want that toxic mix getting into the pumps? They wouldn't be adding color to the water through the mystery input because it would end up in the bay. The jets are clearly more complicated than just squirters but with the valve configuration they're still a mystery. At least to me. Maybe someone else can figure it out. But take into account where the unused valve connects. It seems to be on the wrong side of the water input valve for a standard air canon.

Room being built under the bridge near Screamin'

The support trays near the back of the platform go parallel to Screamin's launch and end near the room being built under the bridge. WET design's fountains involve lots of support equipment which doesn't need to be near the show. It's apparently big and noisy so they normally place it away from their fountains. It looks like the connections between the show in the bay and the backstage support equipment go under the bridge near the launch end of Screamin'. The connections may go through the room being built under the bridge. Or not. It's in the right position but you can't look into the top of the thing because of the wall on the bridge which leads to Screamin'.

The top of the room is above the old water level and the slots are below it. This could just be the transition from underwater hoses/cables to above water backstage. It's worth noting that there are three levels of slots in the room and three levels of trays leading to it.

You can see under there a bit if you take pictures from the rail next to Screamin's launch.

You can see a bit of backstage but some netting is blocking most of the area.

Round cement footings near Screamin' launch

They're putting in more of those round footing thingies near the launch of Screamin'.

There's no rebar or anything in them. They just end up as short cylinders sticking up out of the bay bottom. If they were intended to support something substantial you'd think they'd have rebar in them or something.

But they might be used to keep something built on top of them from moving horizontally. Kind of like large pegs keeping something on top of them aligned properly. Except some of them are close to flush with the surface. Maybe they'll put bolts in them at some point although you'd think they'd stick them in when they make them in the first place.

At least that's what they look like. We'll see when something is built on top of them or mounted in them. For right now they're just mystery cylinders near Screamin's launch.

Mystery pit near the back of the platform

This thing showed up last week. I wasn't sure what it was so it just joined the other stuff in last week's gallery.

It looked like it might be a telescoping something-er-other. There's a small pipe which connects at the bottom. From some of the shots along its length it appears that the bottom is closed due to the lack of light coming through it. I didn't get any pictures of its bottom to know for sure.

This week it showed up temporarily installed vertically in the pit behind the center of the platform. You can see that one segment of the thing has been moved upwards a bit so it's definitely a telescoping pipe. This may be part of the Chernabog which is supposed to appear at the back of the platform. The Chernabog will presumably be hidden except during its part of the show. It looks pretty large in the artwork in the Blue Sky Cellar so it has to collapse somehow. If there are flames coming out near the top then this may be the gas supply. That small pipe near the bottom may the entry point for pressurized gas. If the bottom of the thing is really closed then it would have to be gas rather than water. Given its current position, its top would be below water level so it may be installed permanently in this position. But one side of the pit is slanted so it may be that the whole Chernabog (or whatever it is) is mounted on a rack which can rotate. In the down position the thing would be laying against the slanted side of the pit to keep it all underwater. Then for its part of the show the rack could rotate until it's vertical and then extend upwards to provide a tall, impressive bad guy.

Well, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Only if that hole were covered - and the way the concrete poured to make it would not support that theory.

I think its for a large show element which needs more clearance..
    Yea that was the other theory that was going around... like a big chernabog. BUt i just felt like swithchin is up. Obviously it would have to be covered up... but nothing is finished yet. We could both be wrong who knows.