Page 93 of 134 FirstFirst ... 43688390919293949596103118 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2009

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker V

Anyone else think that "CARS" chase scene for WOC will be used in 2011? The movie is suppose to have its big premier in Paradise Pier and in 2012 CarsLand opens.

The scene is supposedly integrated into the show and could just be added for the special VIP premier then either shown to promote the movie for guests or saved till Carsland is near opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Anyone else think that "CARS" chase scene for WOC will be used in 2011? The movie is suppose to have its big premier in Paradise Pier and in 2012 CarsLand opens.

The scene is supposedly integrated into the show and could just be added for the special VIP premier then either shown to promote the movie for guests or saved till Carsland is near opening.
    well the d23 article said it was an idea that was considered but was scrapped, so....idk if they will do it.

• Thinking about doughnuts

TECH STUFF!!! (alternate title: slow news week on World Of Color)

Not much has been going on out there. Oh well. Here are some pictures anyway. All the images can be found in this gallery. Click on any image to see the full resolution version.

New entrance (included due to lack of real news)

You've probably already seen this stuff but not much has changed on the platform so we might as well look at these. Here's the accessable part of the new entrance to the Paradise Pier bridge.

The palm trees look like giant mutant Q-Tips but they'll look better later. At least now there's a decent place to sit down and watch people go by.

Vertical jets have nozzles! (the very definition of a slow news week)

Now they look more like jets. Oboy!

Fireball generators are mounted (actually is news but already has been reported)

Just for the record, this happened just before the Aladdin show so I didn't have my camera with me. I had to take these pictures with my camcorder. In case you didn't know, camcorders take crappy pictures. Good at video. Bad at pictures. Anyway, at least it caught the momentus occasion.

All ten of the presumed fireball generators are in position. They look like they're mounted to the deck and not to the ground. You'd assume that's the case but I took pictures underneath the Screamin' side of the platform to be sure. It's hard to see that far underneath but I couldn't see anything reaching the ground other than ladders and jacks used while mounting them.

Rockwork starts near the leftmost and rightmost back towers Oh joy! More fake rocks!

Fake rocks. Whee! I guess we should celebrate anything which breaks up the endless cement wall which borders the bay. I think they should stop calling it a bay and start calling it "the giant cement pond". For those of you who are too young to have seen the Beverly Hillbillies, it's pronounced "ceeeement pond" (translates to swimming pool).

Giant news flash! Some of the five pads at the back have bolts!!!

This really "happened last week". Or maybe earlier. But if I only included actual WOC news, this would be a very short post.

Something mounted on the scissor platforms (yes! actual news if you care about how the platform works)

Okay... The truth is that the bolts on pads thing in that last section was just to see if you're paying attention. If you noticed the important part of that picture then you did better than I did when I was out there taking it. Look again at the giant scissor aligner thingie under the platform. They mounted something on it.

This is an older picture of one of these cylinders before it was mounted. If you still don't see it then look right under the center blue BoatFloater tank. I assume it's a bidirectional cylinder because it has tubes leading to both ends. Maybe somebody who knows more about these things can say exactly what they are.

Unfortunately the best pictures I have aren't that great. Every picture of the cyclinders I've taken so far has been an accident. They just showed up in something else I was shooting. My first assumption was that it was a linear actuator but maybe there's such a thing as a linear brake which could be used to lock the scissor at a fixed position. Flynn has suggested that the platform might be operated at a position between fully submerged and fully surfaced. The platform looks kind of flimsy to me for that given that it's being pushed around by all the jets while supported by only four scissor platforms. But these cylinders would certainly make it possible to stop at a position between fully submerged and fully surfaced. So maybe the platform can stop at a position in between.

New pipes. Be still my heart...

If you'd like to extract some entertainment value from these pipes, please start humming the Imperial March from Star Wars (Darth Vader's theme).

Pipes pipes pipes.
    We've got lots,
    of new pipes.

Pipe pipes pipes.
    They are thick,
    and are black.

The ends are weird,
    and they're filled-up-with white foam,
    fairly flexible, it seems.

Pipes are cool,
    Pipes are cool.

One end has what looks like white foam on it and the other end is just plain old plastic. It looks like these are actually two concentric pipes with a layer of foam (insulator?) between the inner and outer pipe. I haven't gotten anywhere searching for the numbers written on them. Bugger!

There are also elbow versions of these pipes.

There's also a pair of metal pipes being assembled sitting on one of the support trays. Those look like air supplies but who knows. Yup. It's a veritable pipe extravaganza out there. Yipee!

Well, that's all.

wow...there hasnt been a post in a few days....perhaps i should say something controversial to get some convo start (hahaha jk). does anyone know when those shops r gonna go behind walls and get redone? sorry if someone answered this in an earlier post

^ thanks for the info!! i always enjoy your posts
    "If you want breakfast in bed sleep in the kitchen!"

Quote Originally Posted by DlandresortCalifan View Post
    wow...there hasnt been a post in a few days....perhaps i should say something controversial to get some convo start (hahaha jk). does anyone know when those shops r gonna go behind walls and get redone? sorry if someone answered this in an earlier post
    First post says that the shops get their re-theme starting this fall. Let's face it, there is so much going on right now, I'm kind of glad they are waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    First post says that the shops get their re-theme starting this fall. Let's face it, there is so much going on right now, I'm kind of glad they are waiting.
    well me being the impatient person that i am, i actually would like it if they were re doing them right now cuz i cant wait til everything is finished!

• Fancy that...

Oh my gosh! fake rocks! YES! I was really worried they'd shelf that from the plans.

• Go DCA, Go! :D

It's good to see rocks come in to disguise the towers a little bit.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    TECH STUFF!!! (alternate title: slow news week on World Of Color)
    Keep it up Macro - your shots are much appreciated as always. I have no idea why others are failing to really focus in on the details on their photo reports. Darkbeer usually always goes for this type of stuff.. yet for some reason on WOC he's content to shoot practically panoramas

His June 03 set did show a massive pile of those same types of pipes down near the Orange Stinger side of the platform too. I agree they look like insulated pipes.. but what would need to be isolated is still entirely perplexing to me.

Those few pipes sitting on the rails that support the other cable trays made me think as well. Maybe that line of supports will support those pipes because that entire path has no cable trays on it.. while the others have tons of cable tray work complete. The absense of trays at this stage, relative to the other runs.. makes me think it's not just stuff that isn't done yet, but may be left bare.

Another small note.. if you look through your photos.. check out the large pumps connected to the manifolds on the platform. Why is it the intake side of the pumps are not really supported yet? They seem to have wood blocks proping them up. That can't be the final thing. Look at the smaller pumps on the individual jets.. they have a collar that then rests on the deck. So why don't the larger pumps have something similar? Wonder what will happen there...

Good work on getting photos of the flame throwers getting installed. I don't think I've seen any other photos of them actually going in.. just the lift crane on the deck.

Regarding the platform and it's stability. Flexibility is going to be the same if the platform is all the way up or not. The change will be on what forces are on it and if the platform is neutral or overly buoyant. But since the platform appears to be rigidly connected to the lifts... they can't make the platform overly buoyant without the lifts trying to 'hold it down'... So in any position, the lifts will be under load.. either holding the platform down... or holding it up.

If the lifts were left to float (nothing holding its current position).. they could float the platform all the way up and over do it to try to offset the jets. But I still gotta think trying to maintain a position purely through buoyancy with all those dynamic loads just doesn't seem realistic. I think the platform will be rigidly held in position - and they'll use buoyancy control to lessen the load they have to hold up.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Knows Where His Towel Is

This thread is slowing down a little bit. Any new bets on the number of trackers we will have by the end of construction? Me heart says 10!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    This thread is slowing down a little bit. Any new bets on the number of trackers we will have by the end of construction? Me heart says 10!
    How many by the end of construction, which is 2012? 50+!

In fact, I really think that threads should be separated into TLM, Cars Land, The Entrance and 'Everything Else'. It's going to get mighty complicated to read the one tracker starting the end of this year.

Just the small things like foliage and rockwork will make the overall area much better.
    "I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it"
    -Walt Disney

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    How many by the end of construction, which is 2012? 50+!

In fact, I really think that threads should be separated into TLM, Cars Land, The Entrance and 'Everything Else'. It's going to get mighty complicated to read the one tracker starting the end of this year.
    Which is why a whole section devoted to DCA construction would be so great.

OK what everybody is calling "flame projectors" or whatever... well good news and bad news about these pieces of hardware.

First the bad news... these large tanks ARE NOT Flame cannons....

The good news is that they are the accumulator water tanks for the air shot water cannons that will be able to shoot the water up to the hundred plus feet that has been mentioned online. You do not need that large of a pipe flange to contain the relatively low pressure at which the flame jets will operate at (let alone what looks like a 6" pipe at the top) Just do a little searching online for water cannons used for water shows online and you will find similar equipment used.

The effect these single shot tank fed water cannons produce is a brief water jet shot very high into the air followed by a loud report much like a cannon going off. This is due to the method at which these tanks are used. The cycle is... Tank is filled with water, then a large volume slug of high pressure air is introduced to the tank forcing the water out of the nozzle which will be attached the top of the shot tank.

No flame whips have been installed on the platform yet