Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Fan

Crowds this weekend?

Anyone have any ideas on the crowds this weekend? My Parents and Sisters familes all want to go together and I am on the fence.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Crowds this weekend?

Spring Break should be over for most schools so crowds shouldn't be terrible.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Disney Fan

We usually go in May and it is slow usually. But I didn't know with Mother's Day.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Oh, I didn't even think of Mother's Day...in that case, it might be pretty busy.

Check out Sir Clinksalot's "When Will it Be Busy at Disneyland 2009 Edition" thread.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    We usually go in May and it is slow usually. But I didn't know with Mother's Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Oh, I didn't even think of Mother's Day...in that case, it might be pretty busy.

Check out Sir Clinksalot's "When Will it Be Busy at Disneyland 2009 Edition" thread.
    This weekend is not Mother's Day. That is actually next Sunday on the 10th of May. MD doesn't usually have any bearing on the crowds at the parks. But the Food & Wine Festival is going on now through some day in June, the 11th I might imagine, shortly before the whole "Summer Nightastic!" thing starts.

I posted another thread earlier, (actually had my wife do it under her name while I was on the road) about the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure, along with Simba parking lots being full to capacity. They were directing guests to the parking lot outside of the Paradise Pier Hotel.

So that's probably how crowded it was today.

• Disney Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    This weekend is not Mother's Day. That is actually next Sunday on the 10th of May.
    That is when we are going! Sorry my original post should say this coming weekend. :P

• Minion

That is when we are going! Sorry my original post should say this coming weekend. :P
    No need to apologize, sorry for my confusion there, it's an easy misunderstanding.

As the other person suggested, the thread you were directed to has all the tips and stratagies for planning a trip to the resort. It shouldn't be too crowded for Mother's Day, I expect probably a moderate size crowd for Disneyland at least. I can only suggest to use the fastpass system as much as possible. Space Mountain tends to run out quickly as the day progresses every weekend. Their standby time can be anywhere from around an hour to 75 minutes at most. When it comes to fastpass, each hour time slot only has an x amount of fastpasses available for guests. As each timeslot runs out, it progresses to the next slot, and so forth, and so forth. Generally, the more really popular rides like Space Mountain and Indiana Jones, those slots get filled up really quickly. On some weekend days, when the park opens at 8am, by noon, the fastpass return times could be around 4, 5, or 6pm. Two things to remember with fastpasses:

1. Each person can only have one fastpass, in each park. So in other words, you can carry one for Space Mountain, and one for Soarin Over California or Screamin. Each pass will have a time listed when another fastpass will be available. Depending on the ride, and timespread between when you get the pass and when you can first return, you generally can't get another one until the beginning of the return timeslot. (Example - you get a FP for Splash Mountain that says return between 1:00pm and 2:00pm, unless it says differently at the very bottom of the fastpass in small print, you won't be able to get another FP for that ride or any other ride until 1:00pm.) But if that timespread is large enough, and this happens when the timeslots are used up quickly on rides like Space Mountain, the next time a FP will be available could be sooner than the return time. (Example - you get a FP for Space Mountain say around 11:30 am, but the return time isn't until 5:00pm to 6:00pm. The time listed at the bottom of the FP will give you a different time listed WHEN you can get another FP for another ride that is much sooner than 5pm.)

2. The second thing to remember is, though the fastpasses have an hour time slot and state "return between", you can always use that fastpass after the last time listed on those passes. If you have a FP for a ride for 2:00pm to 3:00 pm, you can still return to that ride and use that pass anytime after 3pm before park closing.

I'd say hit the more popular rides when the park opens. On the weekends, Disneyland opens like 2 hours before DCA. So you can go there, do some rides or have breakfast (they have some awesome country fried potatoes at the River Bell Terrace) and then go over to DCA when they open. They usually tend to open the main gates 30 minutes before official opening. They hold guests off near the waterfall (backside of Mt Grizzly) and just past Soarin over California. During these 30 minutes, Soarin is open and you can go on it. So if DCA opens at 10, be there at 9:30. But if you go on Space Mountain first thing when Disneyland opens, grab some fastpasses before you go in. By the time you hit your second or third ride, another set of fastpasses will be available for you.

Also, there is one REALLY popular ride that they do not have fastpasses before. Some may not think of this as a popular ride, but on most days even during the week, it has a line that is at least 30 minutes. And if it appears on the wait times reader board in Main St, it is definitly a popular ride. I'm talking about Peter Pan's Flight in Fantasyland. If you want to wait in the line during the day, go ahead. Or you can follow this advice:

For the fireworks, Disneyland closes off Sleeping Beauty's castle, and the areas around it. So the street between the Matterhorn & the castle is closed off. As well as all the castle rides, the sleeping beauty walkthrough, the drawbridge into the castle, and the walkways around the plaza gardens stage. I'm not sure what time exactly they close it off, but with the fireworks at 9:25, its definitly long before then. When my wife and I did this, I think we got there just as they closed it off which was around 8:30pm. It's a process, they close off the rides, and when all rides are clear, they rope off the castle square area. (If you're looking at a map of this section, it's roped from the Mad Hatter Hat shop, along side the south rim of the Carousel to the Village Haus restaurant.) My advice is, if you get to this point, just outside of the hat shop when they're closing off the square, you can grab a spot by the railing here. This is where the line forms for Peter Pan and other rides in the square. It's a pretty decent spot to view the fireworks, you would have Tinkerbell overhead and behind you, and the fireworks in the sky towards the direction of Dumbo. It's not the prime spot like you would get on Main St, but this would be the best way to get on Peter Pan with no wait, without either getting on first after opening or just waiting in a 30 minute line. This spot is also minus the crowds around Main St when the fireworks are over. But keep in mind, there are some that know about this spot to get to PP, AND those that don't find out about it when they get there to try to get in line before or during the fireworks. And if you do use this method, and you're the first in line, be sure to take pride in the fact that you're now at the head of the line, which will be backed up to or beyond the teacups before the end of the fireworks!

This doesn't just apply to you, but to anyone who reads this and would like some helpful pointers on handling the crowds and lines at Disneyland.

• Disney is home

Sundays have been crazy lately. My guess, this Sunday will probably be the same. All moms get a flower when they walk into the park (at least this is what they have been doing in the past) on Mother's Day.

• Goofy

i wouldn't be suprised if its busy on sunday.

• Sock Puppet

We've enjoyed the Mother's Day weekend in the Park for quite a few years now.

Sure, it will be busy, so plan accordingly. It'll still be fun!

We'll be enjoying the Mother's Day Buffet in the Grand Ballroom of the DLH. It's quite the feast!

Happy Mother's Day!

too bad peter pan is closed for the refurb...
    Shopping:

1. www.disneystore.com
    2. http://www.mouseshoppe.com
    3. http://www.laughingplacestore.com
    4. "Disneyland Delivears" (800) 362-4533, [email protected]

Want to learn how to live more healthy? www.losenowandkeepitoff.com for more info ([email protected])

• Rock Star Minion

Anyone have any ideas on the crowds this weekend? My Parents and Sisters familes all want to go together and I am on the fence.
    You have an AP?
    If so, then go. You'll be with family, unless you'd rather not be with your family and if that's the case, you shouldn't bother asking.

If not, then save your money. Pretty expensive, a long trip, and it will be busy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You have an AP?
    If so, then go. You'll be with family, unless you'd rather not be with your family and if that's the case, you shouldn't bother asking.

If not, then save your money. Pretty expensive, a long trip, and it will be busy.
    Yes we have AP, but they are blocked out for the Deluxe on Saturday. And I want to go with the family. I just have little kids and they will be getting up early in the morning to leave on Saturday and they get cranky and impatient waiting in LOOOONG lines. We usually always plan a trip around this time of the year for 3 to 4 days so I know how the crowds normally are. But I just wasn't sure if Mother's Day would add extra crowds. So before I gave my final YES to my mom I wanted to check with you guys since you seem to have the 411.

Plus I just got a new Nikon I am itching to try out!

• Artsy Fartsy

Quote Originally Posted by rooby View Post
    too bad peter pan is closed for the refurb...

I noticed this too. This makes me sad cuz thats my moms favorite ride.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Minion

Yes we have AP, but they are blocked out for the Deluxe on Saturday. And I want to go with the family. I just have little kids and they will be getting up early in the morning to leave on Saturday and they get cranky and impatient waiting in LOOOONG lines. We usually always plan a trip around this time of the year for 3 to 4 days so I know how the crowds normally are. But I just wasn't sure if Mother's Day would add extra crowds. So before I gave my final YES to my mom I wanted to check with you guys since you seem to have the 411.

Plus I just got a new Nikon I am itching to try out!
    I would say go for it. And as for the kids, if you have the money for it, I suggest buying them something small, but entertaining, within one of the stores that will distract them while waiting in line. You could also play a word or a mind game with them in line too, to keep them distracted.

We don't have a problem with Aiden in most lines, most of the time. He just flirts with everyone in line!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast