View Poll Results: New Parking Structure? Next to the existing one, or somewhere else?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they need to add another one, right next to the M&F Structure. But no monorail.

5 9.43%
  • Yeah, they do need one, but place it elsewhere.

16 30.19%
  • No I really don't think they need another one.

4 7.55%
  • Yes, great idea! Add another one & bring the monorail to it!

27 50.94%
  • Sorry, I really have no opinion on this!

1 1.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

What Should Disney Do With "Soon To Be" Parking Issue?

An interesting thought and question came to mind after trying to get into the park today, to find the Mickey & Friends parking structure, along with the Simba parking lot off Harbor, both closed and full to capacity. What is going to happen, or what are they going to do with the parking once they start the expansion construction on Disney's California Adventure?

I'm sure many on here have heard, but for those that don't know or are new to the boards, right now the powers that be for the Disneyland Resort are trying to focus on what they call the "DCA problem". Attendance has always been low for the park, and it's turned into a joke among many, including being mentioned on The Simpsons and Family Guy. (Homer said he would take his mom to the one place they won't find her - Disney's California Adventure!) Though attendance has been good lately with Spring Break and the Food & Wine festival currently running, all that won't stop them from their plans on giving the park a facelift and expanding on some if it.

Some of the plans, which can all be viewed at the Blue Sky Wine Cellar, have already been in place, or put into motion. The Toy Story Mania Ride, the retheming of the ferris wheel from the Sun Wheel to Mickey's Fun Wheel. They're working on the PP lagoon to add a water show that is expected to be on the level of Fantasmic! across the way. Plans also include adding a Little Mermaid ride, and completely changing the entrance to the park.

But one of the big changes, and the sole reason for this poll and thread is that they're planning on adding a whole new land based on Pixar's Cars Movie which will take up the remaining part of the original Disneyland parking lot. DCA took up half to 3 quarters of the original lot, leaving only a small section that is in the southeast corner closest to the corners of Harbor & Katella. The M&F parking structure and this lot are the two main areas for parking for guests coming to the resort. The only others were the smaller lot on the corner of Disneyland Drive & Katella which is the parking lot for the Paradise Pier hotel (please forgive me - I forgot the character name for this lot) and what I think was the Timon lot on Disney Way, east of the parks, and they rarely use this one.

So what happens when they start the expansion process for DCA, closing off the Simba lot? Granted, it's not as significant as the structure, but they're still losing a good chunk of parking space. They can't use the Pinocchio lot next to the structure because it will fill up easily. So as the poll suggests, should they add another parking structure within the Pinocchio lot? Or should they add parking somewhere else? I think they should add another structure, next to the existing one, and perhaps allow the monorail to go to both, incorporating the existing loading area, therefore still allowing the options of the parking lot trams. What does everyone else think of this idea?
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 05-03-2009 at 04:48 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: What Should Disney Do With "Soon To Be" Parking Issue?

We also have an unofficial Resort Parking and Transportation Tracker Thread:

The DLR Transportation and Parking Tracker

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

They need to add a new structure and then start using the wonderful Disneyland Monorail for what its made for, transportation. I dont think Walt built it as a novelty ride for people to make round trips on, he wanted it to get people places as the "way of the future" just like in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    An interesting thought and question came to mind after trying to get into the park today, to find the Mickey & Friends parking structure...
    You've got your parking lots mixed up. Timon is the one where Cars Land is being added. Pumbaa is the one east of the parks. That will be getting a parking structure in a few years. I really hope this happens sooner, b/c I think WoC and TLM are going to dramatically increase attendance and those will be finished before the parking structure is finished. Cars Land will push attendance over the top, but the structure will be done.

I believe the overflow lots south of DTD are planned as regular parking in the meantime.

Check out the link penguinsoda posted - it has a lot more details.

• Sock Puppet

We've never had an issue with parking at the Resort, but then again, we mostly stay at the DLH, and they take care of their guests.

Good luck!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    We also have an unofficial Resort Parking and Transportation Tracker Thread:

The DLR Transportation and Parking Tracker
    Whoops!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    You've got your parking lots mixed up. Timon is the one where Cars Land is being added. Pumbaa is the one east of the parks. That will be getting a parking structure in a few years. I really hope this happens sooner, b/c I think WoC and TLM are going to dramatically increase attendance and those will be finished before the parking structure is finished. Cars Land will push attendance over the top, but the structure will be done.

I believe the overflow lots south of DTD are planned as regular parking in the meantime.

Check out the link penguinsoda posted - it has a lot more details.
    Yeah, I meant to say Pumbaa, it just got lost in translation, admist a long thread and a 2 year old in the background. And if Timon is whats left of the original parking lot, then that means Simba is where they were having guests park this afternoon.

Sorry for the mix up, and the lack of notice to the other thread.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Yeah, I meant to say Pumbaa, it just got lost in translation, admist a long thread and a 2 year old in the background. And if Timon is whats left of the original parking lot, then that means Simba is where they were having guests park this afternoon.

Sorry for the mix up, and the lack of notice to the other thread.
    No biggie... the other thread was buried, I just happened to have it bookmarked. Plenty of room for more discussion!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Ok just a little bit of info. The DTD overflow lot is called Zazu. This parking lot is right behind the Paradise Pier Hotel and extends out to the Simba lot. Half of Simba is used as Cast Member parking (which sucks) and the other half is used for M&F overflow. Now the main reason why the CM parking right there sucks is because its a pretty long walk and there are no trams. The second is because when the guest half of Simba is full the CM side gets used. And trust me guests mess with your cars. I had mine messed with several times while I was a CM. Grrr. Oh well anyways back to the discussion at hand.

I have been saying for years upon years now that there needs to be a parking structure over Pinocchio. I completely agree that this would be a prime location. However I don't think this is going to solve the ever growing parking problem. I think there needs to be a structure over Pumbaa as well. Now the down side of your idea. While yes the monorail is great it is just an attraction and is subject to down time. Also the newest generation of monorails remind us of that with their HIGHLY limited seating capacity. Every now and then I get the bright idea to take the monorail and most of the time I end up kicking myself for it because it takes sooo much longer to get in the park by way of monorail than had I just walked to the park. Another concern is that they are really only using half of the M&F load area. They need to open up that one section soon. I don't completely understand why it is still "closed". Anyways, those are my thoughts on this.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They really need a two-step solution. First they need to build a multi-level parking structure at the Puumba Lot (the old Grand Hotel site) just north of GardenWalk, and that can eventually be for Cast Members Only when everything is done and the Third Theme Park opens.

But for now, they can use the extra parking at Puumba for Guests while they seriously expand the Mickey & Friends structure out over the Pinnochio lot - it is two wings now, add a third about the same capacity - go all the way to Magic Way. Add another set of up-ramps and down-ramps at the other end.

And they don't necessarily need Monorail connections - but they do need something better than the existing trams, since that limits you to going to the Esplanade.

It would be a good excuse to reuse the Peoplemover tracks, build a Personal Rapid Transit system to connect the parking lots with the Parks. And many other stops through the Resort, access granted depending on your AP, or Ticket Media, or room key card - or CM ID. If you have your AP's, the PRT could drop you off right in Tomorrowland, or in front of Paradise Pier....

People boarding at the parking lot stations without any of the above media could only go to the other Public Area stations - the Esplanade or other parking lots, Downtown Disney, etc.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

Blog Entries

The problem with moving all CM's over to Pumbaa is for CMs who are working in Hotels, Monorail End of DTD, and Disney Vacation Club and Fantasy Weddings (BOB). Those CM's are currently parking in the one side of Simba that is a nightmare. I was working at the PPH and when we weren't allowed to park in the structure we had to park there and I couldn't stand it. Most of the time I had to walk from the very back of the parking area all the way over to the DTD walk around there over to the hotel because of all the fencing. There was NO easy way to get to the hotel.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    It would be a good excuse to reuse the Peoplemover tracks, build a Personal Rapid Transit system to connect the parking lots with the Parks. And many other stops through the Resort, access granted depending on your AP, or Ticket Media, or room key card - or CM ID. If you have your AP's, the PRT could drop you off right in Tomorrowland, or in front of Paradise Pier....

People boarding at the parking lot stations without any of the above media could only go to the other Public Area stations - the Esplanade or other parking lots, Downtown Disney, etc.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Beautiful but expensive and complex.

Say I want to go directly from M&F to the Disneyland gate, do I have to go by other parking structures, the hotels, PP, etc. or straight? Say I want to go from M&F to PP, do I have to go by the other stops? How does a PeopleMover fit into the PP theme or would there be a hidden station and where? How many CMs would be needed to man all the stations and check for proper tickets?

What happens if a PM train breaks down? Does all transportation in the resort come to a standstill?

Believe me, this is what I would want too! But it's so complex and probably prohibitively expensive to build and maintain, unless Anaheim and the convention center get involved, which is a problem unto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Beautiful but expensive and complex.

Say I want to go directly from M&F to the Disneyland gate, do I have to go by other parking structures, the hotels, PP, etc. or straight? Say I want to go from M&F to PP, do I have to go by the other stops? How does a PeopleMover fit into the PP theme or would there be a hidden station and where? How many CMs would be needed to man all the stations and check for proper tickets?

What happens if a PM train breaks down? Does all transportation in the resort come to a standstill?

Believe me, this is what I would want too! But it's so complex and probably prohibitively expensive to build and maintain, unless Anaheim and the convention center get involved, which is a problem unto itself.
    A properly designed Personal Rapid Transit system works like a freeway, with 'offramps' and 'onramps' from the mainline to the stations. And would be double-tracked with many crossover switching points available for the cars to "change lanes", so if there is a breakdown they can divert all the traffic to the other lane while they deal with it.

You may go by the offramps to the "secret" stations for Cast Members or VIP's, and you can see where they put a curve and a hedge screen to block the sightlines, but you don't go right through the station where you can see. Disney is far too good at managing sightlines to let that happen.

And the cars would try to take the shortest route between the two points, except when it's congested. (Like that broken down vehicle clogging up half the guideway. ) Then it might send you around the "Scenic Route" which is longer but faster, while they close that guideway segment and allow the repair and cleanup crew to do their thing.

The Public stations would require minimal to no staffing. They would be monitored remotely via cameras and intercoms from a central control point.

And if someone tries to break security by leaping a turnstile or shoving their way into a car reserved for someone else, the otther passengers can hit their Panic Button to alert Central Control. Said car can then be remotely locked and diverted to a secured station for a "Special Reception" by Security and Anaheim PD.

Oh, and there would be continuous video and audio from multiple cameras at the stations and from inside the PRT cars, neatly time-stamped and recorded to hand over to the DA and Judge. Miscreants aren't going to get away with bubkis.

The Private stations inside the Parks would need a CM to verify tickets and passes, and Hotel or VIP stations (say a combined Westside CM/Club 33 station behind the Pirates ride building) might require a Security CM to make sure someone doesn't try to pull a fast one.

The Prototype system always costs a lot to build when you have to design all the parts from scratch, write all the operating software and debug it, etc. And making an automated system People Safe adds a lot of failsafes and complexity - and costs even more. But after the revolutionary work is done and you start mass producing it, the costs drop to reasonable levels.

And if they have true Imagineers implement it like Bob Gurr and Robert McGinness (who have already done extensive preliminary work on PRT systems...) they can repurpose standard industrial and automotive components into the parts the system is built from. Rather than custom casting and machining components for the chassis you bolt it together from mass produced pieces, saving a ton of money.

--<< Bruce >>--

• 'splosions

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post

And if someone tries to break security by leaping a turnstile or shoving their way into a car reserved for someone else, the otther passengers can hit their Panic Button to alert Central Control. Said car can then be remotely locked and diverted to a secured station for a "Special Reception" by Security and Anaheim PD.

--<< Bruce >>--
    you had me going til i read that. too much faith placed in guests

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    you had me going til i read that. too much faith placed in guests
    Why? You don't need to place any faith in the guest who is {ahem} behaving badly, you put it in the ones being inconvenienced (or worse) to alert the CM there is a problem developing.

The stations would be constantly watched by remote CCTV, have lots of sensors to catch anyone going out-of-bounds (like leaping over the closed turnstile gates) and an altercation would be noticed.

They can easily have remote monitoring of the inside of all cars, but they would have no reason to watch the video from hundreds of operating PRT cars stream by on the monitors in real-time (plus there are privacy issues to consider...) - unless you hit an emergency signal button on the station wall or from inside the PRT car to alert them.

If the PRT vehicle in question has not been dispatched they can stop everything remotely and send Security to that station. If it has already dispatched, they divert the car to the closest station where they can have Security meet it.

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast