Tiki Birds, Tigers and Jack Benny, Oh My!

Not sure if this this the right forum to be posting this in, but it does kind of sorta have something to do with Disneyland.

Also, not sure if this has been reported before, but it is certainly new to me!

So Saturday night I'm kind of bored, so I decide to pop in a dvd I bought at my local drug store, Rite Aid. Rite Aid sells these cheapo dvd of old tv shows, shorts and cartoons for .99 cents. I like Jack Benny, so I bought his dvd. I popped it into the dvd player around 1am, and sure enough, it was the Jack Benny show. The sleeve that this dvd came in said nothing about the contents of the program. It just read "The Jack Benny Show." This particular dvd was an hour special Jack Benny did back in 1965. So I sat through Jack Benny and Bob Hope, Jack Benny and (very very young) Beach Boys, and Jack Benny and Elke Sommers. During the Elke Sommers segment is when I fell asleep. When I woke up, I felt like I was dreaming.

When I woke up, Jack Benny was sitting in Walt Disney's office having a conversation with Walt. I immediately reversed the dvd to see this "skit" from the beginning. The whole schtick was about Jack Benny taking 110 people to Disneyland, and being the "cheap" person that he was, he was trying to get free tickets from Walt. Walt's expressions as he made Jack Benny squirm as he was asking for free tickets are priceless. It was really strange seeing this side of Disney - the funny side. Who knew Disney could do comedy? When I think of Walt Disney on tv, I think of him on his own show, not others. I wonder how many other shows other than his own he was on? Hmmmmm?

A bird from the tiki room was sitting on Walt's desk and joined in the conversation every now and then. During the segment, a live tiger walked into Walt's office. (as if tigers freely roamed the halls of Disney corporate.) The scene ended with Walt playing with the tiger.

Anyway, if you're a big Disney fan, this is one for the collection. I don't think you'll be seeing Disney selling this as a "Disney Treasure." Like I said, I bought it at a Rite Aid store for .99 cents. The packaging looks so cheesy it almost looks illegal. The dvd is put out by "Treasure Box Collections."

Enjoy. (and my apologies to any Elke Sommers fan I offended. )

• Fastpass Hater

Re: Tiki Birds, Tigers and Jack Benny, Oh My!

I have that one on another cheap Jack Benny DVD (which I paid 5x more than you!).

Was your DVD in B&W? The one I have is, but it was originally broadcast in color. Since it's a public domain title, I'm not sure we'll ever see the color version.

• insufferable know-it-all

I have that dvd too (99 cent store purchase). Yeah, B&W.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Was your DVD in B&W? The one I have is, but it was originally broadcast in color. Since it's a public domain title, I'm not sure we'll ever see the color version.[/QUOTE]

Yes, mine is also in B&W. (Funny because Jack Benny does perform that whole monalogue about his cheeks needing to be rosy red for the color broadcast.)