Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney Fan

S/O - How do you protect your little ones at Disneyland?

So a spin off from the leash thread. What precautions do you take in protecting your little ones at Disneyland. Especially in a lost type of situation.

Here are mine:

1. My daughter is old enough to know our cell phones numbers so I make sure to drill them with her before leaving for the park in the morning.

2. My son is only 3 and can't remember our cell phone number plus area code. So I used to write it on him in a sharpie on his belly. But then last year I found these: Child Safety Temporary Tattoos to prevent lost kids :: SafetyTat and I used them instead. (I did have to rub a tiny bit of oil over it once it dried because they were a little sticky and would rub off) But other than that I love them!

3. I make sure to take a picture of the kids before leaving the hotel room so I can show exactly what they are wearing.

4. I have my kids tell me what me and my husband are wearing. Just so they can describe us.

5. I told both of my children if they were ever to get lost find a Disney CM. Or if you cannot find a Disney CM tell another lady with children you are lost. You can also go into a store or restaurant.

6. Never go into a restroom with a stranger. Never leave the park with anyone.

Okay after reading my list I guess it could sound scary to a young kid but I really want to make sure they are aware and know how to achieve the best possible outcome in a case like that. But I don't make things scary either. I make a game out of the kids remembering what we are wearing and stuff.

But are there any precautions you take with your children? OR am I the only overprotective crazy one!

Re: S/O - How do you protect your little ones at Disneyland?

As a CM who deals with reuniting children with parents on a regular basis here are some hints to help us find you, the parents.
    - This may sound stupid but please tell your children your names, when dealing with younger children it is actually common when we ask the parents names they say mommy or daddy.
    - Have your child either memorize or have on their wrist or pocket your cell phone number it will help alot.
    - When you start your vacation have your children talk to a CM, get them familiar with our nametags and let them know that if they ever get lost, to find a CM with a nametag.
    -for parents who are approaching CMs looking for their children

-please have the name, age, and description of the child as well sa the last place you saw your little one.
    - 99% of the time your child is within 10ft of the place you lost sight of your child, so my advice is to walk the area with a CM to try and locate your child.
    - Once you report this information to a CM please stay with the CM till help arrives.

Just some helpful hints, take them or leave them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

• Super

I think that sort of stuff is the best way to protect little ones... I think trusting them with that information and giving them knowledge and control over the situation if they do get lost is very important and I think the kids will feel important and strong. Teaching them how to deal with getting lost is great, and better than other means which might make them feel helpless.

• Banned User

I once helped a little girl reunite with her family in the parking structure (we were on the 6th level and somehow they were on the 3rd or 4th). I saw her crying around 7PM in the middle of the road and kind of shouted to her and asked if she needed help - poor thing came running at me full speed. She knew her dad's cell phone number (but he wasn't picking up!) and her mom's (who was at home) and it took a good 15 minutes to take care of it all. Her dad seemed pretty ungrateful, not even a proper thank you, but that's another story.

BUT. "Or if you cannot find a Disney CM tell another lady with children you are lost." That is such good advice. Now, I'm a nice guy, but I'm also 6'3" with a large frame, so I was kind of surprised that this little girl took to me so easily. Not to say all men are predators, but I think telling your children to seek another woman with kids of her own is extremely wise and a great tip.

Excellent topic and great advice. Thanks for starting this thread!

• ...TWO BITS!

You sound like a good parent to prepare for this situation. I applaud you. And hope other parents read this thread.

As mentioned before, have the child identify a CM with a nametag. The child could point out a nametag on a real CM or there's also a picture of one in the park guide map.

Having the child know their age and where they live may also help.

Sometimes I see families wear the same colored shirt or even a custom-made shirt like "The Smith's 2009 Disneyland Vacation". All family members wear orange or green...

Perhaps have a meeting point where if someone gets lost, go to that meeting point? But I think this falls more for the pre-teens and up...?

Other than that, everything else has been stated already.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Disney Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    As a CM who deals with reuniting children with parents on a regular basis here are some hints to help us find you, the parents.
    - This may sound stupid but please tell your children your names, when dealing with younger children it is actually common when we ask the parents names they say mommy or daddy.
    - Have your child either memorize or have on their wrist or pocket your cell phone number it will help alot.
    - When you start your vacation have your children talk to a CM, get them familiar with our nametags and let them know that if they ever get lost, to find a CM with a nametag.
    -for parents who are approaching CMs looking for their children

-please have the name, age, and description of the child as well sa the last place you saw your little one.
    - 99% of the time your child is within 10ft of the place you lost sight of your child, so my advice is to walk the area with a CM to try and locate your child.
    - Once you report this information to a CM please stay with the CM till help arrives.

Just some helpful hints, take them or leave them

After reading your post I am glad to know I am taking a lot of these steps. And I am not just crazy Helicopter mom (this is what my husband call me because I hoover over my children)

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    So I used to write it on him in a sharpie on his belly.
    I love this idea.

We put a business card with my husband and my name/cell phone #'s in our kid's pockets. Even though they know the numbers, I imagine they would get a little nervous in an actual use scenario.
    Last edited by sdmom; 05-05-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo

• Mortals pay a token fee.

As a volunteer for an event at Disneyland one time, I had a few experiences with lost children. It was somewhat surprising how much the child could not remember in a time of stress and panic.

I was stationed in fantasyland and had a child come up to me looking for his parents. I asked several questions about the parents (as the CM above stated) but the child could not answer. I was about to send my co-volunteer to find security when the parent showed up and found her child. After conversing with the parent, it turned out that he had been prepared for such a situation, but did not follow through with any of it. He even had his parents cell phone numbers in his back pocket and had completely forgotten! All in all, it was great to re-unite the two, and it's hard to say how to cover such issues. I would say it would be best to practice the situation with your children, but if you live away from Disney, practice would not be an easy thing. Unless you were to practice at your home/home town so your child will learn (reminds me of that everybody loves Raymond episode where they get a family friend to offer the twins chocolate from a car to see what they would do).

I don't know if I would feel comfortable telling me children to seek out another woman with children, as I can think of several women with children that I would not want my children to interact with. I would much rather have them interact with a CM, and like the idea of recognizing my child with the nametags when entering the park. Also, I would recommend telling the child to find a place to sit down immediately after becoming "lost." This lessens the chance of them wondering off, and a CM is more likely to approach a lonely child sitting than a lonely child running around (IMO). I'm sure there are many different practices that different parents use, and it is based off those parents and their children. I'm still against the leashes, and think it's just best to make sure that you and your children are prepared for such situation.

• Disney Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    I don't know if I would feel comfortable telling me children to seek out another woman with children, as I can think of several women with children that I would not want my children to interact with. I would much rather have them interact with a CM, and like the idea of recognizing my child with the nametags when entering the park. Also, I would recommend telling the child to find a place to sit down immediately after becoming "lost." This lessens the chance of them wondering off, and a CM is more likely to approach a lonely child sitting than a lonely child running around (IMO). I'm sure there are many different practices that different parents use, and it is based off those parents and their children. I'm still against the leashes, and think it's just best to make sure that you and your children are prepared for such situation.
    This is mostly a last resort option. I would rather them find another woman with children than running around looking for me. My children are aware who the cast members are with the name tags. (although in May 08 when were were there I saw some pins for sale that where like CM name tags) Also I stated in my original post that I now use the safety tattoos and love them. They are placed right on my children's wrist and the CM or other person can easily spot them. I figure it would be something they would look at and notice in trying to talk with the child and calm them down. I know once I found a missing boy and he had a little pirate tattoo on his arm and that was something we were able to talk about while he calmed down to talk with me.

That is a good idea to tell them to just sit down and stay put.

Helmet, kneepads, elbow pads,bubble wrap, pin a note on their shirt, wish them luck, and then I let them go. Just kidding, I thankfully don't have any kids.
    Last edited by Captain_Jenny1987; 05-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    My adventures in Wonderland began when I followed the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole. All of the sudden--I fell! Down... down... down...

• Indy's Girl

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    As mentioned before, have the child identify a CM with a nametag. The child could point out a nametag on a real CM or there's also a picture of one in the park guide map.
    I used to be a Disney Travel writer for a website that I won't name. This was the one thing that I stressed. Show your kids what a CM's nametag looks like so they can identify a CM from a regular Joe Schmo.

What's funny is that right after that, they started selling replica tags to guests. Which were very cute, but completely undermined my point. Bah.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I once helped a little girl reunite with her family in the parking structure (we were on the 6th level and somehow they were on the 3rd or 4th). I saw her crying around 7PM in the middle of the road and kind of shouted to her and asked if she needed help - poor thing came running at me full speed. She knew her dad's cell phone number (but he wasn't picking up!) and her mom's (who was at home) and it took a good 15 minutes to take care of it all. Her dad seemed pretty ungrateful, not even a proper thank you, but that's another story.

BUT. "Or if you cannot find a Disney CM tell another lady with children you are lost." That is such good advice. Now, I'm a nice guy, but I'm also 6'3" with a large frame, so I was kind of surprised that this little girl took to me so easily. Not to say all men are predators, but I think telling your children to seek another woman with kids of her own is extremely wise and a great tip.
    Yup! The experts will tell you to teach your lost child to go to a woman.

Little kids need special insctuctions and some very good ones have been posted here already. But one practice we've had since I was a little kid and still hold onto with my only family be we at DLand or a football game: When we walk in we stop and everyone in the group agrees on where we will meet if we get separated. And we make sure everyone knows where that place is. We once lost an elderly family member at DLand. Panicked. Someone said "Look in the Hub where we agreed to meet." There he was with a big smile. "I knew you'ld come get me." It works for all ages.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    But are there any precautions you take with your children? OR am I the only overprotective crazy one!
    If I took my son anywhere I just let him do what ever he wants. I just tell him go for it and have fun in whatever he wants to do.

On the other hand my son is 31, if I took my granddaughter to DL thats another story!
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Circle of Ancients

When they were younger, it was always "hold our hand". So much so, that even now that our son is 11, he will still grab my hand when crossing a street, and many times at the park I'll be walking and his hand will find mine. It's just habit now.

We never had problems with them running off, etc so it wasn't really an issue to be honest.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast