Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hidden Gems for Toddlers at the Disneyland Resort

I'm writing a series of Disneyland Resort blog posts for parents with toddlers at my blog, DaddyDan.net. Today's post covered the hidden gems (for toddlers) at the resort. My top five are below, but I was wondering what you would put on a hidden gems list.

1. Disneyland Baby Care Center

At the end of Main Street, on the right hand side behind the photo supply store, is a place we visit several times on every Disneyland trip. It’s the Disneyland Baby Care Center. I think of it as the VIP Lounge for babies and toddlers.

The center has everything a parent of a baby or toddler would ever need. There are plush changing tables. These tables are spacious, padded, and clean. The changing room also features toddler-sized toilets for the newly potty-trained.

The center also offers bottle and baby food warming, nice high chairs to feed your baby. A private room with rocking chairs for breastfeeding Mommies, and a small store to purchase items you may have forgotten or run out of, including diapers, baby food, formula, pacifiers, eipies, etc.
    The Baby Care Center is a nice, clean place to take care of all your baby or toddler’s needs.

With the number of strollers you see at Disneyland, you’d think the Baby Care Center would be packed, but it NEVER is. I don’t think too many people know about this great feature of Disneyland.

There’s also a baby care center in California Adventure back near the Mission Tortilla Factory.

2. Animation Building (at California Adventure)

The Animation Building in the Hollywood Backlot area of California Adventure is another great place to take your toddler, especially on hot summer days, since the building is nicely air-conditioned. We often take the Babito in here to get him to take a nap.

The main room is filled with giant screens showing scenes from various classic Disney animated movies. It’s very nicely put together. There’s nice cushioned benches strewn throughout the room for you to relax while your baby or toddler takes a nap.

The Animation Building also features several toddler-friendly interactive activities, including Turtle Talk with Crush, where an animated Crush (from Finding Nemo) interacts with the audience. There’s also an area where you can add your voice to Disney cartoons and an area where you can learn to draw your favorite Disney character.

3. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

Looking to get some of the pent-up energy out of your toddler. There’s no better place at the Disneyland Resort than the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at California Adventure.

Redwood Creek features trails, bridges, slides, caves, and various other fun things for your toddler to explore. It’s a nice shady area to get away from the crowds for a while too. For older children, Redwood Creek features a rock wall to climb and rope swings.

While visiting Redwood Creek, be sure to catch the Brother Bear show, which usually runs every hour. It features two bear characters that are available after the show for pictures.

4. Water Play Areas

California Adventure also features some great water play areas for small children. It’s a great way for your kids (and you) to cool off on a hot summer day.

The first area is in Bugs Land. The entire land is themed to make you feel like you’re as small as a bug. The water play area features a giant water hose and nozzle that squirts water at unexpected times. The kids love it. I’d recommend bringing a change of clothes and a swim diaper. There’s a family changing room nearby for your convenience.

The second area is in the Bountiful Valley Farm area. This area features various farm-related water features.

5. Disneyland Hotel

Lastly, wandering the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel is a great way to get away from the crowds. The Disneyland Hotel has many fun things for toddlers to look at including an area featuring a wall of waterfalls that you can walk around and under. Also, the grounds feature several bushes trimmed to look like Disney characters. Lastly, there’s a pond where your small child can pilot a remote-controlled Jungle Cruise boat.

Of course, if you’re staying at one of the Disney hotels, each features a great pool area for registered guests only.

So, what hidden gems would you recommend to parents with toddlers???

• Murphy Lover

Re: Hidden Gems for Toddlers at the Disneyland Resort

Great report!!!!
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

•   
    • Senior Minion

Great ideas-thanks!

I should have also included Mickey's House. Babito absolutely loves exploring in there.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by scrappydawg View Post
    I'm writing a series of Disneyland Resort blog posts for parents with toddlers at my blog, DaddyDan.net. Today's post covered the hidden gems (for toddlers) at the resort. My top five are below, but I was wondering what you would put on a hidden gems list.

4. Water Play Areas

California Adventure also features some great water play areas for small children. It’s a great way for your kids (and you) to cool off on a hot summer day.

The first area is in Bugs Land. The entire land is themed to make you feel like you’re as small as a bug. The water play area features a giant water hose and nozzle that squirts water at unexpected times. The kids love it. I’d recommend bringing a change of clothes and a swim diaper. There’s a family changing room nearby for your convenience.

The second area is in the Bountiful Valley Farm area. This area features various farm-related water features.
    Might want to take this one off the map (bountiful farms, pictured above).
    Based what I saw (back in Nov) in Blue Sky (and talking to a CM) the water area is being ripped out. Only a few buildings in that area will remain (in Nov she wasn't even sure if "It's Tough to be a Bug" was going to stay).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Koubu Pilot

The toddler meals are great if you're eating your meal in the parks. My sister and brother in law like those a lot when it came time to feeding my niece. Also, a great snack is the apple chips. They're from Brother's All Natural and are sugar free. They will break down easily like the toddler cookies they make nowadays. The only place I can get them here in Mesa, Az is Costco, though you can order them online.

• Looking for the Mouse

Main Street Cinema is a good place to cool off on a warm day with the cartoons to keep the kids occupied.

I've never walked around the hotels before. How would I get to the place with the waterfalls? I don't have a toddler, but I love waterfalls.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• Sock Puppet

Very well said. Something parents with Toddlers should take into consideration.
    Thank you for sharing. Great info!:

I would suggest riding the Disneyland Railroad. When its naptime, we park the stroller at a station, get on the train, and ride it around 2-3 times. The rhythmic chugging of the train puts the little ones asleep and the adults get a nice relaxing ride.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by loveberri87 View Post
    I've never walked around the hotels before. How would I get to the place with the waterfalls? I don't have a toddler, but I love waterfalls.
    They're at the Disneyland Hotel just below the southern most tower. I don't know which tower is which sine they were renamed (it's the old Bonita Tower). I would just follow the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Booth View Post
    I would suggest riding the Disneyland Railroad. When its naptime, we park the stroller at a station, get on the train, and ride it around 2-3 times. The rhythmic chugging of the train puts the little ones asleep and the adults get a nice relaxing ride.
    We used to do that too when Babito was a baby! Worked every time!

• Minion

One thing I'd like to add to your Baby Care Center. I was told that the potties there are NOT automatic flush. I've heard from a lot of toddler parents saying their little ones were afraid of the autos. Can anyone confirm? I think this would be something important to include with your information.
    I want my cake back!

• Hakuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    One thing I'd like to add to your Baby Care Center. I was told that the potties there are NOT automatic flush. I've heard from a lot of toddler parents saying their little ones were afraid of the autos. Can anyone confirm? I think this would be something important to include with your information.
    heck! I'm afraid of the auto poopy suckers!

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post

We haven't used the potties yet, but I don't think they're automatic flush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast