• Former Cast Member

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Attraction

HOw many here in MC would like to see the return of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln in its original presentation, including the biographical slide show and the stirring Battle Hymn of the Republic at the end of the show??

I would love it to return that way and preserve it's integrity, the way Walt wanted it, with no gimmicks. Just listening to the cd of the attraction, I can visualize seeing this presentation as a kid.

Just curious about everyone's opinion.

Re: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Attraction

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    HOw many here in MC would like to see the return of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln in its original presentation, including the biographical slide show and the stirring Battle Hymn of the Republic at the end of the show??

I would love it to return that way and preserve it's integrity, the way Walt wanted it, with no gimmicks. Just listening to the cd of the attraction, I can visualize seeing this presentation as a kid.

Just curious about everyone's opinion.
    I for one would like to see it returned as it left...
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

• Hakuna Matata!

I don't remember it. I remember "having to sit through it" as a child.... but I amexcited to be able to see it as an adult. So any adaptation they return with will be interesting to me

• HauntedOne999

I personally liked the update in 80's with the "Two brother's" sequence... the golden dreams song is nice but yeah the battle hymn needs to come back
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Banned User

^^ Same. I have absolutely no recollection of this attraction. I've seen it in vidoes, but I'm curious to see what it's like in the flesh...er...

• Former Cast Member

When I first experienced this attraction, you started off by going into the preshow area, where they played a slide show with Lincoln (Royal Dano) giving a short biography of himself. Once this was done, you were led into the main theater where you saw his presentation. When the Battle Hymn commenced, he would sit down on his chair and then the curtains would open more and reveal the backdrop of the Capitol dome. As the song continued, the stars would turn into the American flag, whic was very very stirring. Of course the show changed over the years with different versions.

Great Moments was one of my favourite attractions when I was going as a teen in the mid 90's. I'd see it at least once, but usually twice each visit. I would sit in the very back in the middle and quietly sing along with "Two Brothers." I nearly had the whole show memorized. I really adored it, and I'm eager and apprehensive over seeing the new update.

I only knew the show the way it was in those years, but I would love to see it that way again.

• U. B. Bold

I don't know if the original show, which was truly great and inspirational, would 'play' with today's shorter attention spans. If that is the case, it says far more about us as a people than it does about the show.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    When I first experienced this attraction, you started off by going into the preshow area, where they played a slide show with Lincoln (Royal Dano) giving a short biography of himself. Once this was done, you were led into the main theater where you saw his presentation. When the Battle Hymn commenced, he would sit down on his chair and then the curtains would open more and reveal the backdrop of the Capitol dome. As the song continued, the stars would turn into the American flag, whic was very very stirring. Of course the show changed over the years with different versions.
    I remember that version so well. It was wonderful! I think my favorite version was the one that included Walt's office, and the Walt Disney Story in the pre-show. That would have been in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    I don't know if the original show, which was truly great and inspirational, would 'play' with today's shorter attention spans. If that is the case, it says far more about us as a people than it does about the show.
    Agreed.

Having said that, I'll be glad to see its return in whatever form, with technological improvements that enhance the presentation without getting in the way of it.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

I would love to see it return in all it's glory.
    I loved seeing Walt stand up.
    Give his speech then sit down.

The stars turning into the flag was very inspiring.

As far as today's audience not having the attention span.
    I say learn to have one.
    This is our history. These were the people who gave us our freedom.
    I think we can for a few moments show some respect and appreciation for what they've done.
    My personal opinion/feeling: If you can't appreciate what everyone has done to give us our freedom, then why do you live in America?
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 05-07-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Former Cast Member

Well said, I wish more people would have that interest in our past.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I would love to see it return in all it's glory.
    I loved seeing Walt stand up.
    Give his speech then sit down.

The stars turning into the flag was very inspiring.

As far as today's audience not having the attention span.
    I say learn to have one.
    This is our history. These were the people who gave us our freedom.
    I think we can for a few moments show some respect and appreciation for what we've done.
    My personal opinion/feeling: If you can't appreciate what everyone has done to give us our freedom, then why do you live in America?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I loved that show. Especially the original version with Lincoln's biography and the Battle Hymn at the end.

I'm afraid now thanks to our friend Rasulo, that to keep things relevant, instead of the Battle Hymn, Lincoln will start to sing a rousing rendition of I'm Proud To Be An American, with indoor pyro going off in the background.

Please Disney, give us the original version back! Regardless though I cannot wait for this to reopen!

• Still Dizzy

Due to childhood/teenage memories, I want the 90's version back. I miss the two brothers song which made me cry every single time.

• Banned User

I thought it was already confirmed to be returning?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!