Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

The trees around the Castle make it look small

Today's MiceChat Roundup banner grabbed my attention. It's something I've thought about from time to time, but this really makes me realize how the trees surrounding the Castle make it appear smaller.

Here's a couple more.

Some of the trees in the banner are in front of the Castle in the center of the hub. Those don't seem to be much of a problem at all. If you're standing right in front of the Castle, you don't notice the trees behind it and to the sides as much. But when you're coming down Main Street it dawns on you how small the Castle really is. I know these trees are probably almost as old as the park itself, and there's really no way to "trim" them without removing them entirely (which I generally don't like the idea of cutting down old trees). I'm not a tree expert, but maybe they're even still growing. The Castle needs to have trees around it, no doubt. They help give it a more natural look. At least until they grow taller than the castle itself.

What are y'all's thoughts on this? Should something be done to fix this, or should Disney just let the trees be?

• Minion

Re: The trees around the Castle make it look small

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    But when you're coming down Main Street it dawns on you how small the Castle really is.

• Go DCA, Go! :D

I don't think the castle looks terribly small,. I actually prefer this castle instead of the one at WDW because its charming rather than scary-looking. But the trees don't make a huge difference.

The castle is small and the trees don't help it much. Time for a trimming The one at WDW is a decent size...
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

• I'm not really here

I don't think it makes much of a difference. The forced perspective isn't that effective from such a long distance anyway. It becomes an important factor the closer in you get and this works regardless of the trees.

Besides, the trees do a fairly good job of hiding things you really don't want to see from Main Street, though occasionally some things peak through.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

maybe they want main street to look longer so they make the castle look smaller with all the trees.

and they lived happily ever after

• Mrs. J. Depp

Man those trees seem to swallow the castle!! It's true, our castle is teeny, but on the other hand, I don't think Walt imagined it would be such a trademark, or that he'd have so many other theme parks in which they chose to build bigger castles. Sleeping Beauty Castle was a big feat for its day.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I adore Disneyland's small castle but I love Magic Kingdom's large Cinderella Castle more.

The trees being small around DL's castle probably would make it more like the Storybook Ride. I prefer the large trees. It makes the castle an almost secret find in the midst of overgrown trees.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Done waiting!!

This is interesting since the trees on the Matterhorn were purposely dwarfed to make the mountain appear taller. I certainly wouldn't protest if they did they for the castle as well. I'm not gonna have some kind of Bring Back the PeopleMover and Save the Rainforest freak-out about it though. I could take it either way.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Besides, the trees do a fairly good job of hiding things you really don't want to see from Main Street, though occasionally some things peak through.
    In particular, the tall trees directly behind the castle (which are actually directly behind Casey Jr. Circus Train) hide the Fantasyland Theater Princess Fantasy Faire tent from view.

Keep in mind, too, that we're talking about how the castle looks from long distances, i.e. looking down the length of Main Street. Once you get to the central hub and closer, the trees fall out of the background and to the sides and things are in better proportion.

And if you think the trees make Sleeping Beauty's castle look small, well, I don't know what to tell Cinderella:

Last edited by 2DieFR; 05-06-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added example pictures

• Honorary Dapper Dan

Size doesn't matter. Walt built it that way.
    "I can stand the sight of worms,
    and look at microscopic germs,
    but technicolor pachyderms
    are really too much for me."

The castle is bigger than where I live, so it seems big to me! Plus I love it too much to even have noticed the tree issue (but I notice it now...)

My bigger concern is that one day the size issue of Snow White and her buddies over by the wishing well will make some Dizexec choose to move them. It's a fear of mine...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey1969 View Post
    I don't think the castle looks terribly small,. I actually prefer this castle instead of the one at WDW because its charming rather than scary-looking. But the trees don't make a huge difference.
    Plus I lik ehow the Disneyland castle is made with real brick and mortar as opposed to fiberglass made to look like brick at WDW.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Imag1neer View Post
    Plus I lik ehow the Disneyland castle is made with real brick and mortar as opposed to fiberglass made to look like brick at WDW.
    Umm... you sure about that?

I think it's actually made out of wood, some steel framing, and some type of strong fiberglass coverings. It's definitely not brick.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

I have no idea but thanks for the great excuse!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast