Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting SM?

• Minion

Painting SM?

I was at the park Sunday with a friend and I noticed something about the new Honda/SM display. The model of SM is PAINTED something other then white! (well cream color or whatever) If you look at the SM model, its got the same metalic blue's used in TL, and a gold top on it!

Here is a photo I took of the display.

OK. Without a crystal ball, I can PREDICT what a LOT of you are gonna say. "OW NO! DONT CHANGE SM!!!" Whatever. I personally think that the current off-white sticks out like a soar thumb and shows "lack of emagination" and thats NOT what I would want at Disneyland. Im not sure if I like that paintsceem, I would rather them deck it out to LOOK like a space station, but its better then egg-shell or whatever it is.

Gib.

• Small Projects Team

Re: Painting SM?

White is better than the brown they had. There are probably other colors that would look nice but I'm sticking with white until I see them. White makes it look like a real space station.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    White is better than the brown they had. There are probably other colors that would look nice but I'm sticking with white until I see them. White makes it look like a real space station.
    It makes it look like a scoop of vanila icecream with popsickle sticks on the side.

Instead of having just white, I wish they would add detail. Like in the graphic that greets you at the enterance. THAT looks like a space station.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Well, they did just re-paint pretty much all of the queue that shiny-blue color, right? I say keep the white dome (that's pretty much how SM is recognized) but add some of that shimmery-blue paint as a detail, like on the edges of the "beams" on the dome.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

leave it the classic original white. it's simple and nice. no need to change it and live through another terrible paint job like the brown/bronze from Tomorrowland 1998

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Don't they use lighting of some sort on it at night to add some color? I could be totally off here, but if they don't that might not be so bad. In the day it is a futuristic white then use colored lighting. OK, I'm whacked, move along, move along....
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    Don't they use lighting of some sort on it at night to add some color? I could be totally off here, but if they don't that might not be so bad. In the day it is a futuristic white then use colored lighting. OK, I'm whacked, move along, move along....

The new lighting at night is pretty sweet, it's like a dark purple and blue right? That's what my memory is telling me anyway.

• Minion

Ya. I noticed the lighting last night and thought it was cool. The lighting is blue in patterns. Something that was needed to give life to that section of the park.

Im jellous of DLP's SM. Its funny that a LOT of people LOVE that SM's theming, but it has the same gold/bronze as the old "new" SM colors people hated Ironic.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Ya. I noticed the lighting last night and thought it was cool. The lighting is blue in patterns. Something that was needed to give life to that section of the park.

Im jellous of DLP's SM. Its funny that a LOT of people LOVE that SM's theming, but it has the same gold/bronze as the old "new" SM colors people hated Ironic.
    There is a big difference between this:

and this

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    There is a big difference between this:

and this

Its just so wrong on SO many levels.......I change my mind, KEEP THE WHITE!!

• Banned User

And can you believe that shot was taken when the paint job was new!!!

• Minion

Same colors, just less detail.

I just think SM's rather bland and it needs something.

• Minion

The new mural above Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters depicts lots of Space Mountains (as not just mountains but rather spaceships capable of flight) and they are all white. If the actual Space Mountain (which I guess is one of the spaceships that has happened to grace Earth with its presence?) were painted, might it not be a little inconsistent?
    My finger points.

Poor kid, looks like he is lost. lol

• =)

If WDI announced plans to repaint Thunder Mountain like grassy peaks with snowy tips, I'd be more than a little miffed.

It's not exactly the same, but Space Mountain is a white mountain. That's just the way it is. I kind of find the simple white paint job and unassuming lack of detail to be slightly ominous. I like it. DLP's Mountain is cool, but the exterior is just a little over the top, especially at night.

In my opinion, Space Mountain should be kept white. That blue color is cool, but it's just not...Space-Mountainish, you know?

The new night lighting on Space Mountain is awesome. It's illuminated in an eerie blue color. Strobe lights surround the mountain and flash periodically, creating something of a miniature light show. It's not overdone--it's just enough to get your attention and make you say, "Hey, that's cool."

I'm still waiting for the next New Tomorrowland project. If Space Mountain and the Orbitron (v2.0) work together to make an incredible light show every night, I'll be overjoyed. One of these days, I'll start a new thread about my many ideas for Tomorrowland's next incarnation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast