How do I pick the best week to go to DL?

Hi everybody, first post here.

I'm trying to plan a late summer trip to DisneyLand. It has probably been 30 years since I was there last, my wife has never been, and my twin 3-yr old daughters have never been.

My big problem right now is that I can't seem to use the Disneyland website to see what the park schedule will be when we are considering going.

Right now we are looking at probably a M-F visit, with 3 days in the parks and 2 days "off". No Saturday or Sunday is planned. Our schedule is open to any of these weeks:

8/24-8/28
    8/31-9/4
    9/14-9/18
    9/21-9/25

I'd really, really like to make sure we can see fireworks (preferably more than one night) and the electric parade. But I can't tell from the Disneyland website if these will be going on those weeknights.

Does anybody know how to find out what entertainment will be running, or which of those weeks above would give the best shot for fireworks and parades?

Thanks!

• I'm not really here

Re: How do I pick the best week to go to DL?

First off, welcome to MiceChat DaddyDeuce!

You've come to the right place... I'm sure that you'll get some good info from the people here. I'm not certain myself on the entertainment schedules for that far out at all so I'll let them answer it.

I will say this, I hope you return to MiceChat and post a trip report about your visit. Especially as most of you will be first timers. I'm so excited for you! Going after so long will be like a first time for you as well. =D Best of luck to you and your family on your trip!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I have no idea what the schedule will be like this far out. But if you really want to see the fireworks my advice is do not put it off. See them the first night they are shown. The fireworks are frequently cancelled due to high winds. And the further you get into September the closer you get to Santa Ana Wind season. So watch the fireworks on the first night and if they cancel them then try to watch them on the next night and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDeuce View Post
    Hi everybody, first post here.

I'm trying to plan a late summer trip to DisneyLand. It has probably been 30 years since I was there last, my wife has never been, and my twin 3-yr old daughters have never been.

My big problem right now is that I can't seem to use the Disneyland website to see what the park schedule will be when we are considering going.

Right now we are looking at probably a M-F visit, with 3 days in the parks and 2 days "off". No Saturday or Sunday is planned. Our schedule is open to any of these weeks:

8/24-8/28
    8/31-9/4
    9/14-9/18
    9/21-9/25

I'd really, really like to make sure we can see fireworks (preferably more than one night) and the electric parade. But I can't tell from the Disneyland website if these will be going on those weeknights.

Does anybody know how to find out what entertainment will be running, or which of those weeks above would give the best shot for fireworks and parades?

Thanks!
    Fireworks will definitely be running on Fridays-Saturdays-Sundays, but there might be a small break period between Magical ending and Remember returning. It is unlikely they will run on Mo-Th, so you'll only get one night.

Main Street Electrical Parade will probably end August 22nd, so regardless chances are you won't be able to see it unless they extend the summer-run, which is possible.

That is the most likely scenario, but Disneyland sets schedules so little in advance for a reason: things change.

• My boss is a Mouse.

One thing you should note is that the new fireworks presentation is only supposed to last through August 23rd, so if you go after that date you may miss the fireworks. I'm not sure if Fantasmic and the other "nightastic!" shows will still be running after that date either.
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.
    ~Walt Disney~

Ok, well shoot, it sounds a little like our dates might not work for fireworks and electrical parade, unless I can stretch us to staying Friday night (was planning on making Friday a short day).

I'll ponder that further.

From a crowds/weather point of view, I understand that late August and early September (after school starts) are pleasant times to visit. Is there anything maybe I'm not considering that would help point to one of those weeks being better than the others?

• Senior Minion

That's one of the best times of the year. Any of those dates should be light crowds and nice weather. I agree though, very unlikely you'll see fireworks on any weekdays that time of year. The parade you'd have a better shot at, but even with that I certainly wouldn't promise anything.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDeuce View Post
    Ok, well shoot, it sounds a little like our dates might not work for fireworks and electrical parade, unless I can stretch us to staying Friday night (was planning on making Friday a short day).

I'll ponder that further.

From a crowds/weather point of view, I understand that late August and early September (after school starts) are pleasant times to visit. Is there anything maybe I'm not considering that would help point to one of those weeks being better than the others?
    Nothing distinguishes one week from the other. They are all fairly light crowd weekdays, and as a result no fireworks or Main Street Electrical Parade.

Though if Disney decided to extend weekday Fireworks or the parade past the 23rd, then the closer you go to the 23rd, the better your shot.