Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile grand californian hotel

Has anyone got any tips for staying at the grand californian hotel at disneyland. We are from Australia and staying there from June 3-June 10. Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed there and their experience. Thank You

• Banned User

Re: grand californian hotel

No advice, the hotel is great! I'm not sure it'll be too fun on a June evening, but I know there's an outdoor fireplace that is pretty nice.

It's a shame you weren't staying a few days past the 10th, you'll miss out on all the new nighttime entertainment!

• I'm not really here

We stayed there for the 50th. It was pretty amazing. The hotel is pretty large so, depending on how far away your room is from the entrance, you may have a bit of a hike each day just to get to the park. But other than that, the rooms were really nice, room service was prompt and tasty. The front desk attentive and polite.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Thanks guys, I was also thinking I might upgrade to the concierge level has anyone stayed there and is it worth the extra dollars. We are from Australia and this is our first time overseas with our three children. I want to make it special for them. Thanks again for your quick replys this is a great site.
    Kylie

• Splash Mountain Lover

It is a great hotel!!! Definitely go and sit by the fireplace both inside and out. Spend sometime in the pool, it is beautiful. Just explore the entire property, it is amazing to look at!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

It's a Beauty Newk! (Do you still say that in OZ?)

I love the place. In fact when I lived in Anaheim I spent a lot of time just hanging out in the lobby which is magnificent. It will give you a feeling of what the great old resort lodges are like here in the West. (Old Faithful Lodge, etc.)

There is a huge fireplace (an inglenook) where you can grab a rocking chair and enjoy the flames. Pianist. Lots of big, comfy chairs. The people watching is first rate.

The people who work there are California friendly which means as soon as you meet them you have a friend for life. I adore room service and their's is extra special as the workers will remember you from day to day and bring you extras of anything you seem to like. (I love the spaghetti best but the menu is varied.) Very sweet ladies come by to turn the bed down and leave chocolates.

Great pool area. Lots of towels available right there. Be prepared for June Gloom. Which means there will be a marine layer in the mornings lasting until at least noon. No, it's not "sunny California", but it keeps the heat down.

Very nice little gift shop. I splurged on a robe last time I was there and it's a happy souvenir. Nice place to get a magazine to read as you park in the lobby.

Little bar (pub) near the fireplace where you can get a drink.

If you need anything there are plenty of people around who are happy to help.

Separate entrance to DCA which is nice.

I'm jealous! I just love the place. (Am an Arts and Crafts person so the building is Heaven to me.)

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about Anaheim and what's near DLand. I have been to your wonderful country and have many friends there on the Gold Coast. I hope you enjoy the US as much as I have enjoyed OZ!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

With 3 kids you should easily get your money's worth if you upgrade to the concierge level rooms. Nice to be able to dash in n' grab a snack any time of the day.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I've stayed there a few times, but I haven't been there in a couple years - it's too expensive! It really is a gorgeous hotel though, nothing like Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel. The pool isn't anything to brag about, it's very small and from what I recall, shallow. The rooms are lovely and cozy. Have fun!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

The GCH is fantastic!

DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

• Sock Puppet

We've stayed there quite a few times. We highly recommend the Concierge upgrade. Well worth it! Excellent service!

The pool there is nice, but the Neverland Pool at the DLH is better! You can use it as well and we highly recommend that you do. The kids will have a blast!

Enjoy!

Thanks oldschoolmickey,
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate everyones replies!!! Thanks guys (or as we Aussies say "Mate").
    What is the difference with the concierge upgrade, I know this includes breakfast, but does it include lunch or any other perks? Would love to hear if anyone knows.
    Kylie

We spent a night on the concierge level in February. They provide food almost all day and evening and drinks all the time. Breakfast, then tea, then a light evening meal and then night time snacks. You can get soda, water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate all the time. With 3 kids it will be worth it. And you take it all back to your room if you want to. And the cast members working in the lounge are really great, ready to answer any questions you might have or help with any problems. When my friend stayed there her 3 year old's favorite bunny lost a button eye and they took it and sewed it back on for her. Really nice.

• no flash photography...

We have stayed there a couple of times. We loved it. It's a very comfortable hotel to stay in. It was difficult to leave the room.

• Senior Minion

There are 520 visitor reviews of the Grand Californian at TripAdvisor.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Spend some time just hanging out in the lounge....it's awesome!! The pool is a huge amount of fun too!

My best score ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast