• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Talking Napa Rose Manager, Joy Cushing, becomes "Advance" level Sommelier

We have some exciting news for SoCal wine lovers. The Disneyland Resort is reporting that Napa Rose restaurant Manager Joy Cushing, of Huntington Beach, California, has become an Advanced Level Sommelier after a week long Examination by the International Court of Master Sommeliers. Cushing's status brings the total number of Advanced Level sommeliers working at Napa Rose to five, the most of any restaurant in the world!

Cushing is just one level away from the same elite title of "Master Sommelier," the her boss and mentor, Michael Jordan, holds. Mr. Jordan has coached more than 300 Disneyland Resort cast members to the status of certified Sommelier over the years, and has been a champion of creating Sommeliers at the resort and throughout the region.

“When we created the Disneyland Resort Sommelier Education Program in 2001, there weren’t any Advanced Level Sommeliers anywhere in Southern California.” Jordan said. “It’s a very big deal, and we raise our glass to salute Joy.”

Michael Jordan

There are four recognized levels of Sommeliers: Introductory, Certified, Advanced, and Master. Under Michael Jordan's direction, the Disneyland Resort has become one of the world's top destinations for those who appreciate fine wine.

If you happen to be at the resort during the Food and Wine Festival and run in to either Joy or Michael, be sure to give them a hearty congratulations from MiceChat for their extrodinary achievement. Then hit them up for their suggestion for a great bottle of Red wine under $15.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Re: Napa Rose Manager, Joy Cushing, becomes "Advance" level Sommelier

Wonderful news! Congratulations to Joy (and to us too, who will certainly benefit from this advancement!!!)
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• I'm not really here

I don't drink wine, but I certainly recognize the talent and hard work required to achieve this. Congratulations to Joy and to Michael! This is wonderful and an honor for the resort.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think the resort really owes a debt of gratitude to Micheal Jordan. His leadership in this area has helped to distinguish not just the Napa Rose as one of the state's finest restaurants, but has also set the food and beverage standard for the entire SoCal area. It is really an outstanding achievement that a theme park restaurant would have more Sommeliers than any other establishment in the world. Clearly, Michael is helping Disneyland break out of the mould that people expect from theme parks and is louring in a whole new demographic to the Resort. Kudos and congratulations to Joy, Michael, and the entire staff of Sommeliers at the resort!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

• Here's my 2 cents

We ate at the Napa Rose on May 6th and Michael helped pair our wines with our dinner. He is very personable, friendly and down to earth and one would never guess that he has such depth.
    The Napa Rose has never let me down it is an awesome place!

BTW, I had the petit filet and Michael suggested a South Arfrican wine called "Black Pearl" its a Cab-Shiraz blend, only 100 cases produced and the Napa Rose has them all, very reasonable ($12.50 glass) for such a limited production and it was oh-so smooth.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    BTW, I had the petit filet and Michael suggested a South Arfrican wine called "Black Pearl" its a Cab-Shiraz blend, only 100 cases produced and the Napa Rose has them all, very reasonable ($12.50 glass) for such a limited production and it was oh-so smooth.
    I've also had that wine at Micheal's suggestion. VERY good. Due to the worldwide economic slow down, many wines which were once very difficult to get a hold of are now available to folks like Michael. I know that he was able to snag some cases of wines which once would have gone to fancy restaurants in Vegas and elsewhere. The rest of the world's loss is Micheal's gain. It is a lot of fun to chat with him. You'd never know that he was a Master Sommelier because he is so approachable and never talks down to you or makes you feel stupid about not knowing enough about wine. In fact, I think he really enjoys being the one to teach people fun things about the wines they are drinking.

Wine is so much more than a nice thing to drink, it is really an art form. I've really grown to appreciate wine since the first Food and Wine festival. A lot of that has to do with Michael Jordan.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Kathleen and I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Jordan during one of his "classes" at last year's Food and Wine event.

At one point during his wine identification exercises, Chef Andrew heckled him from the NR kitchen, saying something to the effect of "what's all the fuss about? It's just grape juice..." (LOL). They seemed to have a pretty good act going!

I echo Dusty's sentiments, from what I could learn about the man in that one day. He seems to be to fine wining and dining what his famous namesake is to the sports world.

That night, we sampled some of Andrew's best cooking, along that of Guy Fieri, paired with the best wines!

All in all, a memorable day.

And congratulations to Joy and Michael and the rest of those involved at the DLR for this latest honor!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

Any pics? so we can recognize her at the Food & Wine Festival
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeepnLuciferHuntn View Post
    Any pics? so we can recognize her at the Food & Wine Festival
    Unfortunately, Disney didn't include any pictures of Ms. Cushing in their announcement. Sorry about that.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Splash On In

I attended the Beginners Wine Tasting Course the day after she passed. She opened the class before Michael Jordan took front/center and spoke a little about the process and the exam. It was quite interesting. The course was very informative and a lot of fun too.